lascalas very little bass

prog guy

Just now, prog guy said:

Why would the Klipsch company build such a beautiful speaker but do not give it a good low end?  Everyone I talk to tell me you have to add a set of subwoofers a set of lascalas to get them to sound well. WOW are you kidding me?

I don't understand the issue? I guess you come from a line of thinking where speakers must be strictly 2-channel and provide the full sonic spectrum in a complete cabinet? You could always upgrade to KHorns for better bass, or just add a subwoofer or two or three and save some money.

Or are you just bitching for the sake of catharsis?

7 minutes ago, muel said:

"Flat" is a word I could have used for mine at one point (you might mean something else though)... working on placement and room treatments made a big difference.

tried even the corners there was a small improvement but for the price and how much they are talked up I just do not get it  I like my music loud and after a certen volum level all I hear is distortion for the woffer

Maybe your woofer is damaged, or the wire connection is corroded, or the polarity of one speaker wire pair is crossed up. These are just a few possible conditions that could affect the performance of a forty year old speaker. Does one speaker sound different when you change the balance from left to right? I hope you can get to the point of enjoying your La Scalas.

Bass response was never an issue until the advent of subwoofers. 50hz is lower than you think. There is very little “audible” music information below 50hz unless you are listening to pipe organ music. Paul Klipsch’s aim was to produce accurate undistorted efficient bass. I have a subwoofer but was extremely happy with mine for years. You don’t have to have a sub but a sub is icing on the cake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are a lot of ways to optimize a Lascala to get more perceived bass output.  Of course it may no longer be a Klipsch speaker anymore.  Mine have very satisfying bass and they are in the same room with much larger speakers that use subs.  But I don't use any subs with my lascalas and they definitely hang in there.

45 minutes ago, prog guy said:

...   I like my music loud and after a certen volum level all I hear is distortion for the woffer

32 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

Maybe your woofer is damaged, or the wire connection is corroded, or the polarity of one speaker wire pair is crossed up. These are just a few possible conditions that could affect the performance of a forty year old speaker. Does one speaker sound different when you change the balance from left to right? I hope you can get to the point of enjoying your La Scalas.

• The bass should be clean, cleaner than with most speakers (e.g., cleaner than with direct radiators, including your CVs, which would be expected to have about twice the modulation distortion, or more).  

• It is true that you won't get much bass below 55 Hz. 

• No way the bass should be distorted.  Something is wrong.  Did you turn a bass control way up, with a very high volume setting, to try to get more bottom?   That could conceivably cause distortion. 

• I have a Belle Klipsch center channel, which is like a dressed up La Scala.  It is flush mounted in a wall, which increases bass.   Audyssey measures its 3 dB down point as being 40 Hz. 

• If you settle on corner placement, put absorption on the walls starting where a stick across the midrange horn mouth would touch the side walls, and continuing 2 feet out into the room. 

• See Chris A's thread on "Corner Horn Acoustics."  Even though the La Scala is not a corner horn, much of what he says should still apply.

Assuming the speaker is working OK the room setup is likely causing peaks and nulls that can sound awful.  That said, bracing of the cabinets was essential for my La Scala's to not sound like fart boxes.  I'm not kidding about my choice of words!  Sounded fine at lower volumes but at higher volumes... ugh!   Bracing the bins and injecting glue at the inside seams made a huge difference and was a total fix.  Is that yours in the picture?  Very pretty... I like the grills but that makes the bracing difficult.  

Just thinking... to test to see what bracing would do for you... take a bar clamp that is long enough to clamp across the entire front of the bin.  Be careful of the finish!  Protect the wood with something.  Clamp down just enough to hold it firm.  Listen to the difference.  Not something I would leave in place but would give you an idea.  Actual braces would do the job better.  We forget that these speakers can be in various stages of condition... older and dried out plywood might be "looser" and have more resonance than other cabinets.