Home Theater Receiver question

vasubandu

All I know about receivers is what I read in the Best Buy ads.  OK, it is not quite that bad, but my understanding is pretty meager.  

Setting up a system with RF-7, RC-7, RS-7 and one or two SVS PB2 Plus/PB12 Ultra/2 (both with 2 drivers).  I am planning to grab a Yamaha RX-A2060 because I can get it for $650, and the lowest price I can find elsewhere is $1,200, but that does not mean very much.  

So question 1 is whether the Yamaha would be a good choice, and question 2 is whether there is something else I should consider.  Whatever it is needs to be able to handle 5.1.4 since I plan to introduce Atmos.  

2 hours ago, vasubandu said:

I am planning to grab a Yamaha RX-A2060 because I can get it for $650, and the lowest price I can find elsewhere is $1,200, but that does not mean very much.  

That is a very good deal.  A4Less has the A1060 for 699.99 refurbished and they are considered the go to place for good deals.  You are getting the next model up for less.

2 hours ago, vasubandu said:

So question 1 is whether the Yamaha would be a good choice, and question 2 is whether there is something else I should consider.  Whatever it is needs to be able to handle 5.1.4 since I plan to introduce Atmos.  

I don't see why the Yamaha would not be a good choice.

Bill

• Like 1

I would be all over that RX-A2060 for $650.  IMHO, for home theater, it comes down to features, future compatibility, reliability, and room correction.  Once you get to a certain level, and the RX-A2060 is definitely at this level, I think they can all pretty much be made to sound the same or different to your liking.  

5 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

Ooh now there is a twist.  A guy locally has a Yamaha RX-A850 that keeps turning off after a while.  He wants $25 for it.  I have done some research, and this sounds fixable. If I can get a workable receiver for $25, maybe I can live with its shortcomings.

Don't do it.  Why buy someone's fixit project?  Don't settle.

@pbphoto Great idea.  I am going to buy the $25 one because why not.  And if it works, I'll let you know.  Have to get the guy with the 2060 to show up first. I am going to delay my Atmos experiment, and how much receiver do I really need to run 2 RF-7, an RC-7, 2 RS-7 and a PB2 Plus subwoofer?  That probably looks like a rhetorical question, but it isn't.  I have no idea.  Just figured overkill is better than underkill.

8 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

@pbphoto Great idea.  I am going to buy the $25 one because why not.  And if it works, I'll let you know.  Have to get the guy with the 2060 to show up first. I am going to delay my Atmos experiment, and how much receiver do I really need to run 2 RF-7, an RC-7, 2 RS-7 and a PB2 Plus subwoofer?  That probably looks like a rhetorical question, but it isn't.  I have no idea.  Just figured overkill is better than underkill.

The RX-A850 has 100WPC for 2-channels, and that number will drop off sharply when driving 5 or 7 channels.  However, your RF-7s and RC-7 are pretty darned efficient, so you should have plenty of power for home theater.  Set all your speakers to 'small' and let that giant sub handle all the heavy-wattage lifting.

And, if you decide you need more, the RX-A850 has pre-outs to add an external amplifier.

I am beginning to think that my guy with the Yamaha 2060 is bailing on me.  Not a big surprise.  So I need a 9.2 receiver to have 5.1.4 Atmos, at least as I understand it.So at present, my candidates are

Marantz  SR6011         $750

Pioneer SC-LX701       $800

Denon AVR-X4300       $900

Marantz SR7010          $1,000

Onkyo TX-RZ920          $1,000

Yamaha RX-A2060       $1,000

Marantz SR7011          $1,100

Yamaha RX-A2070       $1,200

Yamaha RX-A3060        $1300

Integra DRX-7                $1,400

Yamaha RX-A3070        $1,500

Bear in mind that all I want is a 5.1.4 system that works well.  I don't mind spending money as long as it will make a difference in my actual use and enjoyment.  Out of all of these, the Onky0 920 strikes me the most for some reason, but the Pioneer is interesting.  This is really confusing.

I think you are splitting hairs at this point and the decision comes down to features, brand reliability and personal preference.  I'm not too familiar with Atmos so you should verify whatever you buy has 9 onboard amps to support 5.1.4 to your liking:  http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2704201-dolby-atmos-5-1-4-what-receiver.html

Thanks @pbphoto.  It feels like I am splitting hairs, and I guess that is what I am trying to figure out.  Being new and an outsider, I still worry that there is some magic juice that I don't know about where if I don't get a Marantz, I am going to realize in a year that I am screwed.  I know that sounds silly, but such is the life of use new ones.

I sort of get the feeling for no good reason that most people here would consider the Marantz a more serious receiver than a Yamaha, and that is what I was trying to figure out.  A4Less has the 6011 for $750, and it will do 5.1.4 native.  The 7010 and 7010 are $1,000 and $1,100 but I don't see anything else I need with them.  Everyone else is $1,000 for the 6011.  If people here have had good experiences with the 6011, I will get grab it.