Home Theater Receiver question

vasubandu

5 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

The 7010 and 7010 are $1,000 and $1,100 but I don't see anything else I need with them.  Everyone else is $1,000 for the 6011.  If people here have had good experiences with the 6011, I will get grab it. 

I have the 6011 I bought 6 months ago from a forum member for $750.  It has been 100% reliable and sounds great with my Khorns (now gone) and my RF-83's.  I have nothing but good things to say about it.  It is a modern AVR with all the bells and whistles.  I don't run Atmos but it will handle the full 5.2.4 Atmos in stock form and 7.2.4 if you want to add an external amp to drive the rear channels.

I thought that Yammie 2060 would have been a nice pickup for $650.  It's a shame the Seller flaked out on you.

I also agree you should pick up that other Yammie 850 for $25.  I have to tell you that shutdown problem sounds like what happens when you have a couple of stray speaker wire strands touching each other.  The AVR will go into thermal shutdown frequently and then reset.  That could be an easy fix.

42 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

I sort of get the feeling for no good reason that most people here would consider the Marantz a more serious receiver than a Yamaha

Not I.  They all have their lower models, midgrade, and flagship models.  Pick your poison.

I actually think that Yamaha has a better track record for reliability than all of them.

Bill

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, willland said:

I actually think that Yamaha has a better track record for reliability than all of them.

I have used Yamaha products since 1989 and been very happy with them - still have the original integrated amp I powered my new at the time Chorus II's. Currently I am using one of Yamaha's Aventage receivers with and RF3 setup that has been without issue for many years and it sounds great. While I prefer Yamaha my advice is at least buy something at least midgrade.

I've never heard a Marantz AVR so I can't say.  My 16 year old Yamaha won't die on me, but I think the right channel is starting to go, so I may be on the market soon too.  Yamaha seems to have great reliability and things like HDMI switching and compatibility work well.  I think at this price point, any of the Japanese brands can be made to sound the same for HT.  It comes down to features and your personal preference on how those features are implemented.  For example, research the differences in bass management and room correction between the two brands you are considering.  I don't think one is better than the other - it's just what you prefer.