Schiit Saga to Add Remote to a System?

rplace

On 1/2/2018 at 4:15 PM, rplace said:

Forgetting about cost or value for the moment. If all you cared about was adding a remote to you system would the Schitt Saga do the job in passive mode after your existing preamp? Could it be put in before the preamp? Would the location matter?

http://www.schiit.com/products/saga

Thoughts on pros/cons for another set of cables in the system? Any downside in noise/distortion?

Any other gear out there to fit the remote requirement that is totally passive? I saw mention of Peachtree iNova but that is way to complicated IMO for the task of remote only.

You can always buy a Saga and have the 15 day free trial from Schiit ... send it back if it does not work in your system. As you need a remote control, some more expensive options would be the Hattor passive at about $600 or the Khozmo at $500 single ended. Hope this helps.

I have a Decware Torii II amplifier which has it's own attenuator built in, so no preamp is needed. Like you, I wanted something with remote, but without giving up any transparency or degrading the signal. I bought the Saga a few months ago and in direct comparison to the Torii alone, I am hard pressed to hear any difference at all when using the passive mode of the Saga. This is exactly what I wanted. Dynamics are the same with/without the preamp. I tried it with two different tubes and prefer the passive option. The tube buffer adds a slight bit of bloom to the midrange and would probably be a great thing if you have a SS amp that needs a touch of body. The Saga is ever so slightly more transparent and dynamic when used passively, so that is my preference.

I predict that if your system is passive friendly, you will prefer the sound of the Saga on it's on instead of in conjunction with your tube preamp.

Shakey

3 hours ago, rplace said:

I'm currently using my Wright Sound tube preamp with a 

https://www.stereophile.com/solidpreamps/604placette/index.html

After it and before the amps. Very happy with it

The Schiit Saga is a full passive preamp with a tube buffer to lower the output impedance.

I've used mine (with 6SN7 tube buffer) as the system preamp in both the main and living room systems and it performs very well. I went to a TVC based on S&B transformers in the main system but the Saga remains in the living room system where I am very pleased with it.

If you do get a Saga to try, my suggestion is to use the Saga as your preamp (with 6SN7 tube buffer) and not double up with your existing active preamp.

Just my opinion. :)

• Thanks 1