If you could have just one speaker for the rest of your life . . . .

vasubandu

My Bell's.:wub:

If I had stupid money to spend I'd beg, bribe, cajole a Klipsch engineer to sneak into their anechoic chamber in the dead of night with a black moving van.:ph34r:

Then tweak it with the latest "upgrades". Horns, caps, crossovers etc after extensive testing.  I don't think there is a better looking speaker. I've looked.  

Only they could do it really. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 1/2/2018 at 9:30 PM, Mallette said:

K'horns, the original.  Jube has it's charms, but nothing a sub doesn't fix which is still required with Jube if you want to get to C0.  Anyone who has read the 8 points knows why the K'horn is the K'horn and not a Jube.  Within PWK's parameters the K'horn remains inherently unimprovable...until the change the laws of physics.  

You are so wrong my friend.  PWK's protege has taken the laws of physics he learned from PWK and they worked together on PWK's last speaker design, which was to take the Khorn back to a 2 way and came up with the Jubilee. They co-wrote an AES article on it.

From there the pupil snatched the pebble from his master's hand and came up with the 402 Horn and the rest is history.  

A sub isn't going to get you there. Physics be damned, he has taken Paul's last speaker design and added time alignment and a CD horn.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

what's that...a we horn ?    

that's right PWK worked for or at bell labs. aka western electric....

Uhhh, no he didn't work Bell or Western Electric.  But he collected their horns and drivers.

He worked for GE after he graduated from NMSU.  It was while he was at GE that he when to Chile to work on electric locomotives. 

Someone needs to write a book about all of this.

• Moderators
On 1/4/2018 at 1:13 PM, Mallette said:

But I maintain he did NOT believe it was an improved design of the K'horn in that it violated at least two of his 8 cardinal points.

Based on what.  His wife is on record saying exactly the opposite.  The Engineer who worked on it with him and co-authored the AES paper I don't believe agrees either.

Which two?  

PWK8Cardsml.pdf

• Moderators
On 1/4/2018 at 8:27 PM, dirtmudd said:

the first hi fi speakers ! I think their

160db 1watt 1meter...or 30%+ efficient... just the vintage we555 driver is $8000 + if you can find them..

They are professional theater speakers, not hi-fi.  

The sensitivity depended if it was the 6016-A (2 555 drivers) or the 6116A (4 555 drivers).  I'm not sure what they put out in SPL, but they are unlistenable to someone used to modern equipment (i.e., a Khorn).

A 16A with WE 555s goes down to only about 90 hz and up to about 6 KHz.  That is why Khorn is so remarkable.  He was able to make a more compact model with a true hi-fi frequency response.

The Klipsch Museum has WE 555s and other WE drivers on display, including a prototype Khorn with WE drivers. 

I would love to have my pair kpt-904’s

And the two pairs of kpt-100’s with the two 18” kpt-484’s. I just love the looks and mostly the sound out of the pro Cinema line from the old movie Theaters. All I ever need for power was the Marantz mono block ma500 amps for each speaker and the sound was like being in a IMAX theatre. God I miss that system, my wife even loved the sound and the looks of the black industrial look

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

The sensitivity depended if it was the 6016-A (2 555 drivers) or the 6116A (4 555 drivers).  I'm not sure what they put out in SPL, but they are unlistenable to someone used to modern equipment (i.e., a Khorn).

A 16A with WE 555s goes down to only about 90 hz and up to about 6 KHz.  That is why Khorn is so remarkable.  He was able to make a more compact model with a true hi-fi frequency response.

The Klipsch Museum has WE 555s and other WE drivers on display, including a prototype Khorn with WE drivers. 

Knowing how Western Electric/Bell Labs design and create things that driver would work under two miles of water, outer space, sledge hammering, and inside a volcano and if it didn't a spare would pop out so you wouldn't lose service.

JJK

• Like 1

Listening to my Cornwalls in my bedroom watching Kubricks

2001 on TCM last night i was enthralled by the soundtrack with

minimal dialog , almospherics, and music.

I would pick  the Cornwalls from the Heritage lineup for its versatility

• Like 4

• Moderators
Just now, RickFL said:

You would have lots of company.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

if weren't for those speaker's...

you would not have what you have today....and these sound terrible..

don't think so....

just like are beloved klipsch....

setup and proper components..

make them work the best....

now your going to tell me...

that osb board , is better than plywood...and plywood is better the

hardwood...

go back in time....compare speakers

back than....its hifi ....hifi is a relatively term in audio...

it's only when you can't tell the difference ... between a live event

and recording...that's hifi .....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RickFL said:

Putting versatility in the equation then too add portability. I've had Corns, Belles and LS all at the same time. Belles have the biggest footprint and other than depth CW and LS can be placed in the same space. Both are equally the same to shuffle around, Belles the most difficult. So for portability one can use all the Forte models and Quartets in the same footprint as the Heresy and gain added bass. But for ultimate portability and an amazing sound/size equation consider the RB75's. Same pro compression driver as the RF7, easy to handle and can fill a basement size cave with big sound. Now to complicate the portability theory and add a sub and the 75 now plays with the big boys. But casting aside any and all qualifications the winner is most likely the Jubilee.