If you could have just one speaker for the rest of your life . . . .

vasubandu

• Moderators
2 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

if weren't for those speaker's...

you would not have what you have today....and these sound terrible..

don't think so....

just like are beloved klipsch....

setup and proper components..

make them work the best....

now your going to tell me...

that osb board , is better than plywood...and plywood is better the

hardwood...

go back in time....compare speakers

back than....its hifi ....hifi is a relatively term in audio...

it's only when you can't tell the difference ... between a live event

and recording...that's hifi .....

Again, they go from 90 Hz to 6K.  

If that range satisfies your needs than you are golden.  If you also subscribe to the notion of "single point" stereo you will even be happier. 

I enjoyed listening to them, it was a unique and memorable experience.   Just like I enjoy listening to old 78s on hand crank phonographs with steel needles.  It is nostalgic and shows how far we have come.  

Hi Fidelity or Wi-Fi is a term used by Home listeners.  It is indeed a relative term, that is why PWK continually upgraded and updated all of his products including the Khorn.

When you said it was the first hi fi speaker I thought you were inferring that it was used in home and purchased for that purpose when made.  

I don't think people got the idea to stick them in their homes until maybe the 60s or 70s, when they were being torn out of theaters.

ADD, if you have a great piece of music that is between about 100 Hz and 5K, and you don't care about stereo image, they sound incredible.

Travis

• Like 1

One point that has not been brought up.  I sold a pair of B&W DM3000's that I restored and regret it.  Beautiful midrange, smooth highs and they kind of glossed over bad recordings.  Think of JBL L100's but much better speakers (leaps and bounds ahead). 

If your "one last pair" of speakers makes bad recordings sound really bad, can you really live with them forever?  I have some other JBL's that I use for noisy records and bad stuff.  They are very useful. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Again, they go from 90 Hz to 6K.  

If that range satisfies your needs than you are golden.  If you also subscribe to the notion of "single point" stereo you will even be happier. 

I enjoyed listening to them, it was a unique and memorable experience.   Just like I enjoy listening to old 78s on hand crank phonographs with steel needles.  It is nostalgic and shows how far we have come.  

Hi Fidelity or Wi-Fi is a term used by Home listeners.  It is indeed a relative term, that is why PWK continually upgraded and updated all of his products including the Khorn.

When you said it was the first hi fi speaker I thought you were inferring that it was used in home and purchased for that purpose when made.  

I don't think people got the idea to stick them in their homes until maybe the 60s or 70s, when they were being torn out of theaters.

ADD, if you have a great piece of music that is between about 100 Hz and 5K, and you don't care about stereo image, they sound incredible.

Travis

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

I just have to say that I never expected the response to this, and I certainly never expected to learn so much from it.  This has been an amazing less in history as well as speakers.  Thanks to all of you.

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

I guess we all are in a position of constantly learning. 

Anyone who thinks they have little to learn about all this stuff is only fooling themselves.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, dirtmudd said:

the evolution of audio....most

speaker designs..we're made

by the mid 30s.....

https://www.voices.com/resources/articles/audio-recording-technology/history-of-the-loudspeaker..

only technology made them cheaper

to build...

Have not read the article yet, but if you look at Horn and driver or a pape cone speaker in an enclosurer, then yeah they are all the same.

If you look at sensitivity, frequency response and distortion, nothing is the same.

Interesting to see how the article glosses over patents.

15 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Have not read the article yet, but if you look at Horn and driver or a pape cone speaker in an enclosurer, then yeah they are all the same.

If you look at sensitivity, frequency response and distortion, nothing is the same.

Interesting to see how the article glosses over patents.

I had one site bookmark...but lost

over time....but gave more details..

on the evolution ....

• Moderators
3 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

the evolution of audio....most

speaker designs..we're made

by the mid 30s.....

https://www.voices.com/resources/articles/audio-recording-technology/history-of-the-loudspeaker..

only technology made them cheaper

to build...

I didn't see the part where it said most speaker designs were made by 1930 and technology only made them cheaper.

I did see this:

"A system was even mounted at the 1939 New York World’s Fair, this one designed by Rudy Bozak, who worked for Cinaudagraph."

The Museum had one of the drivers from this system plus literature about the system and driver.

I also saw this last sentence:

"Since then [1955] there have been many improvements to both sound quality and strength, which is why loudspeakers are still in use today."

Really?  

8 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

I didn't see the part where it said most speaker designs were made by 1930 and technology only made them cheaper.

I did see this:

"A system was even mounted at the 1939 New York World’s Fair, this one designed by Rudy Bozak, who worked for Cinaudagraph."

The Museum had one of the drivers from this system plus literature about the system and driver.

I also saw this last sentence:

"Since then [1955] there have been many improvements to both sound quality and strength, which is why loudspeakers are still in use today."

Really?  

almost sounds like a bose commercial....