If you could have just one speaker for the rest of your life . . . .

vasubandu

6 hours ago, jwc said:

Looks like price or rarity aren't a limit here.

Vote for KP-600's

I had heard mention of KP-600's for some time.  Always assumed that they were just another big nasty outdoor PA speaker. 

Then a few years ago I got to listen to a pair in an audio room.

They blew my skirt up.   

Impact was like a boot in the chest!  Mid bass was very tight and accurate. Mids were lovely (was surprised) and top end to match the rest of it. A well done mixture of strait horns for mid bass and top end with a reflex sub.

WAF would be a hard sell, but hell when did that ever bother us?

What's not to like? 

They get my vote as well

tc

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, mach-1 said:

The monster of all modulation distortion,  if these were use-full in reality why did Roy and Kevin buy back as many as possible?  They cost more to make then they sold for.  Loss leader -  yes similar to the double Heresy  = (Jubilee) 

That makes no sense.

• Like 1

That was a fascinating discussion about whether and how much speakers have improved.  I am new to all this and came here looking for advice on the latest and greatest, preferably something that just came out so I could get the best.  A few of you dragged me out back and beat some sense into me, and all of a sudden, I am building a system with speakers made about 20 years ago (RF-7, RC-7, RS-7).  My own observation is that at some point, the emphasis shifted from making better speakers to making smaller ones on ones that fit lifestyles. 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, vasubandu said:

That was a fascinating discussion about whether and how much speakers have improved.  I am new to all this and came here looking for advice on the latest and greatest, preferably something that just came out so I could get the best.  A few of you dragged me out back and beat some sense into me, and all of a sudden, I am building a system with speakers made about 20 years ago (RF-7, RC-7, RS-7).  My own observation is that at some point, the emphasis shifted from making better speakers to making smaller ones on ones that fit lifestyles. 

You should hear Forte III's or 396s.  

• Moderators
On 1/7/2018 at 12:55 PM, mach-1 said:

The WE 6116a version of the  WE16a with 4 compression drivers is a mid-range system,  compare it to a stand alone K-402 wart-hog.  Both need a bass solution for the bottom.

There is one notable difference.  The 6116-A (and the 6016-A) was designed and sold as a complete "compact" system for behind the screen theater use.  There wasn't any "bass solution."  That was the "solution", it was the complete package.  Compared to what was available before it was a major achievement, in 1929.  By today's standards it, for most people who have actually hear it,  is a great big NO.  Can you take that horn and add a bass solution and tweeters.  Sure you can.  Can you match it all?  I suppose given enough time and money one could.  

A Grandeur system would probably sound much better, as would Funktion One.

The K-402 was designed as part of a system, either 2, 3 or 4 way and was never intended to operate on its own. 

I have been happy with Klipschorns for 35 years, with a stock upgrade in 2006, then the addition of Audyssey in 2012.  I would be happy with them for the rest of my life.  If I had the room, money, and grille cloth to cover them with, I would try Klipsch Jubilees, because they are supposed to be even better.

The Klipschorns are incredibly clean, with snappy bass that is probably because of low modulation distortion (I think it is 1/3 of that of the Cornwall II, even though the Klipschorns were measured at 10 dB higher SPL!). 

What our ears tell us is much more important, but, at one point, I compared distortion measures of the K-horns with those of other good speakers, as reviewed in Audio magazine.  The K-horn had about 1/2 the IM of the AR 98RS (a 4-way, which may have helped), 1/4 the IM of the Platinum Studio 2 and 1/5 the IM of the Fried Studio 4.  As to harmonic distortion, K-horns had about 1/10 of the nearest competitor I looked at.

Dynamics are incredible!  Microdynamics, too.  They reach movie industry peaks of 105 dB in our 4,000 cu.ft. + room without strain, 16 feet away.  This takes about 16 watts.  They can reach 115 dB in this room with 88 watts.  Of course, I wouldn't permit either of these levels for more than a moment.

With careful Audyssey (Audyssey FLAT option) set up (about 4 tries) I get about +/_ 2.2 dB 550 Hz to 16K Hz from the main listening position, as measured by REW and a calibrated mic.  Below 550 Hz, I have imposed a gradual bass rise, a la the Harman Curve up to about +9 dB at 40 Hz (without the subwoofer).  Then the response drops rapidly, but can be heard as low as 24 Hz (adding my subwoofer can maintain response to 20 Hz at -1 dB, with the help of Audyssey).

With good CDs, SACDs, DVD-As, and Blu-rays, the K-horns sound very much like the orchestras I have played in, or listened to; with distorted sources, they reveal flaws ruthlessly, rather than veil the sound the way some "high end" speakers do.  With magnetic stereo soundtracks of films of the '50s, '60s and early '70s, which tend to have a little high frequency distortion, the other Audyssey option, Audyssey Reference, helps a great deal, by starting a downward curve at about 8K, proceeding to -2 dB at 10K, and about - 4.5 dB at 16K.

• Like 1

OK guys, and I thought this would be a debate between versions of the RF-7, but it is nowhere to be seen.  The guy selling me my RF-7 has flaked on me, so I still need new right an left speakers.  You all have me wondering if I should consider a Forte or something else.  Looks like Forte has a 12 inch woofer.  Damn.  So RF-7 i or Forte of some kind with RC-7 and RS-7?

If you already have the RC7 and RS7, you need the RF7 that matches. They are world class speakers, and you will be thrilled with their sound and their appearance. There was a excellent deal on that whole package on here yesterday, I believe they were in Georgia, which is a long way from you. Be patient, another deal will come along.

1 minute ago, vasubandu said:

Thanks @Ceptorman.  I just saw this  pair of Forte II for $450 locally, and it got me wondering.

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649405533-black-klipsch-forte-ii-main-stereo-speakers-work-perfect-local-pu-all-original/

That's a great buy, awesome speakers. You might have to re-think the center and surrounds though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vasubandu said:

OK guys, and I thought this would be a debate between versions of the RF-7, but it is nowhere to be seen.  The guy selling me my RF-7 has flaked on me, so I still need new right an left speakers.  You all have me wondering if I should consider a Forte or something else.  Looks like Forte has a 12 inch woofer.  Damn.  So RF-7 i or Forte of some kind with RC-7 and RS-7?

Personally I'd stay either all Reference or all Heritage and not mix them.