If you could have just one speaker for the rest of your life . . . .

vasubandu

28 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Personally I'd stay either all Reference or all Heritage and not mix them.

I agree with this 99%

I had KG5.5's with a Boston VR12 Center and it blended seamlessly ( Daughter has them now)

At @colterphoto1 had LaScala Fronts with a KLF - C7 Center and Cornwall rears and it sounded really good as well.

More often than not mixed systems show the weakness ! and I would avoid if at all possible.

I currently have 3 HT Setups and all 3 have matching L,C,R but when that isn't an option I would stick to matching lines.

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Gnote said:

At @colterphoto1 had LaScala Fronts with a KLF - C7 Center and Cornwall rears and it sounded really good as well.

That's where I heard the difference between the Academy and a KLF-C7, to me the C7 was better. At the time everyone was liking the Academy and the prices were high and not many realized the C7 was as good as it was.

pilgramage_07_(98).jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

dtel so many people have told me that the RC-7 is the best center that Klipsch ever made, and it is my favorite.  It would probably be my one speaker for the rest of my life.  So why not use that?

If you are going with RF7's I'm guessing (Have not heard one :() that's the way to go.

If you are leaning towards Heritage Speakers(Haven't heard any III's)  Then I'm guessing again that the KLF-C7 might be a better match, I do know it is a good one. 

Just my opinion and where I would start if I were in your shoes. I would however keep an eye out for other solutions and swap them in to compare in your room. If you are patient and buy them right you can dump them quickly usually for little to no loss

If you by chance get it right the first time. You are among the few who lost out on all the fun :o

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vasubandu said:

so many people have told me that the RC-7 is the best center that Klipsch ever made, and it is my favorite.  It would probably be my one speaker for the rest of my life.  So why not use that?

The RC-7 is excellent.... But.... what  the best center speaker Klipsch ever made is depends on your definition of center. :rolleyes:  IMO, the best center speaker Klipsch ever made is either the Belle Klipsch, the La Scala, or the La Scala II.  They can be used as a center with Klipsch's "Wide Stage Stereo."  Paul Klipsch used one as a center in his own home, flanked by Klipschorns.  They have about 5 or 6 dB more sensitivity than the RC-7, (6 dB would be 4 times, which would be like using an amplifier 4 times as powerful) and most probably more power handling capacity (although it wouldn't be needed, thanks to the sensitivity).  In a home theater, if the crossover to the sub is about 80 Hz (the usual), that the RC-7 reaches a bit lower into the bass wouldn't help, and would allow elevating the 'Scala/Belle so that the tweeter is ear level, without bass loss.   Is this post tongue-in-cheek?   Partly.  But I use a modified Belle as a center in my HT, and it is very articulate.  Timbre matching is probably more important, so something like the RC-7 may be your best bet.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, vasubandu said:

OK guys, and I thought this would be a debate between versions of the RF-7, but it is nowhere to be seen.  The guy selling me my RF-7 has flaked on me, so I still need new right an left speakers.  You all have me wondering if I should consider a Forte or something else.  Looks like Forte has a 12 inch woofer.  Damn.  So RF-7 i or Forte of some kind with RC-7 and RS-7?

Forte III or Ki-396 depending if you want furniture grad to make everyone happy, or black commercial look.

You will have them for the rest of your life, and then whichever child, or grandchild you secretly like more than the other will get them in probate.

When they start to go off to college you will need to chain them to the wall.  Many, many stories on here about how member's grabbed their dad's speakers off to college, apartment, whatever because "he wasn't really using them that much."  They were never returned.

Damn you guys.  Showing me that P27C was just mean.  I ought to sue all of you.  I mean, I love my RC-7, but  I feel like a guy who just met his new wife's sister and wondered what went wrong.  You guys all seem to have a lot of them.  I'll give you $250 for one, and I will even pay for shipping.

The P-27's are nice but they really have their own unique sound signature, quite a bit different from the extended Heritage or Reference line. If you're going to buy one of those you might as well spring for a set of P-39's, there's a pair on A'gon right now $5000 last I checked, 25% of original MSRP:

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-flloorstanding-loudspeakers-2018-01-02-speakers

You know @jjptkd right now, i just want to get my system up and enjoy it.  My big question is RF-7 or Forte, and that is enough for me when I am still using a receiver that I just happened to have around and am scheming for the entry of a new TV.  It is nice to know that there is headroom. But I think it is more fun to achieve almost the same results with a different and unappreciated response.  The attraction of what I building in part is that it is other people's junk. Anyone can just buy great new gear and have a great system, but I would rather be just a bit of a goofball.

3 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I know.  Mine is tucked under a TV so it does not look that big, but they are basically a P37.  Love mine. 

As a lark, and suggested by Scrappydue, I connected that P27c to the left front terminal, it really sounded good. It didn't have quite the bass of a P38, but the sound was impressive.