If you could have just one speaker for the rest of your life . . . .

vasubandu

8 hours ago, vasubandu said:

You know @jjptkd right now, i just want to get my system up and enjoy it.  My big question is RF-7 or Forte

I'll be around this afternoon and all day Saturday if you want to check out the forte's, they're great sounding speakers. You could always buy them and try them out, if they're not a good match for your theater (can't imagine they wouldn't be) you could always resell them or put them aside for a future 2 channel rig. 

21 hours ago, jjptkd said:

The P-27's are nice but they really have their own unique sound signature, quite a bit different from the extended Heritage or Reference line. If you're going to buy one of those you might as well spring for a set of P-39's, there's a pair on A'gon right now $5000 last I checked, 25% of original MSRP:

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-flloorstanding-loudspeakers-2018-01-02-speakers

They are merlot and peaked my interest but they look a little beat.  Woofers have dents (which can be replaces) and chips in the finish (which is hard to fix) and no boxes. 

21 hours ago, vasubandu said:

This might not be so out of range.  But first someone would have to convince me that the difference in quality is as big as the difference in price.  

5a5825fd7edb0_FireShotCapture6-KlipschP-27-C-M_-http___www.acousticsounddesign.com_core_view_BigProduct_cfm.thumb.png.654bda613c34a3a63f7b44b53f48b2e9.png

You are going to need the matching speakers:

http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/core/view_BigProduct.cfm?pid=5789&sc=52

Oh and they do have ceiling planar speakers, just not very good ones.  

http://rmsav.com/products/speakers/sound-advance-speakers/

But planar spears seem to prefer horizontal rather than vertical sound dispersion - might be the design or intrinsic.  But no left right from ceiling perhaps, so maybe have to use the walls.  Distance problems then.  I thought I would figure this out before dinner.

NO way @tigerwoodKhorns.  If you have matching speakers, they all do the same thing.  You need a variety of speakers so that together they will cover the whole sound spectrum.  Every speaker maker says you need the same kind as a trick to sell you more speakers.  And I bet no one here has every tried a really good mix because they just believed the propaganda.  If you haven't really tried a mix, how could you be sure?

Now you guys can see that I really am a lawyer.  I made a completely nonsensical statement sound almost reasonable, and I sort of made the smart people look like they did not know what they were talking about.  I should send someone a bill.

But seriously, when is the last time you tried a mix of speakers?

@tigerwoodKhorns that is impressive. Such different disciplines.  I actually took an engineering class one.  I went for 2 days before dropping it.  They were not my people and they were not speaking a language I understood.  It takes a certain discipline and order that I never had.  I am impressed. Then again, I am even happier that you got better and became a lawyer.

Engineer tells me the part I need is designed to form, fit, function.
I tell him the xxx size will not fit in an x space.

Lawyer tells me that I have to use it or the engineer will sue

Customer has to pay for part that will not fit and there is no way to install
Engineer is paid by me to design
Lawyer sues me for breech of contract because I refused the follow on order of 100 each
I lose customer

Reputation ruined
Be sure to wave when I greet you as the assistant Wally World door guardian

@USNRETThat may be the case with some lawyers, but I am a different animal.  I would first make you show me that it did not fit and while you were at it explain what it does and what it needs to be like to accomplish its purpose.  I then would go back to the engineer and tell him that whether or not  it is designed to form, fit and function, it does not meet the contractual specifications (give me any set of specifications, and I can find deviations).  Then I would explain to him that his part is an essential part of a device that has sold millions of copies, and that when orders cannot be filled because of him, he and his kids are going to be liable for the damages.  Usually at this point, he will say that the specifications are impossible to meet, and he probably will be right (think of who writes those specifications). And that is when I give him you description of what you actually need, and I tell him that if he can make them this way, I can get him a release from all that liability.  Lawyers are supposed to fix problems, not cause them.

• Moderators
58 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

NO way @tigerwoodKhorns.  If you have matching speakers, they all do the same thing.  You need a variety of speakers so that together they will cover the whole sound spectrum.  Every speaker maker says you need the same kind as a trick to sell you more speakers.  And I bet no one here has every tried a really good mix because they just believed the propaganda.  If you haven't really tried a mix, how could you be sure?

Now you guys can see that I really am a lawyer.  I made a completely nonsensical statement sound almost reasonable, and I sort of made the smart people look like they did not know what they were talking about.  I should send someone a bill.

But seriously, when is the last time you tried a mix of speakers?

Mix in what sense?  Give me an example?

Edit:  I meant a hypothetical. 

OK, so we start with the precious RC-7 center.  Now it has 8 inch woofers so it needs big and powerful LR.  I am going to go with the SVS Ultra, 2- 8" woofer, 2 6.5" mid-range and 1" tweeter. For the surrounds,  M&K SUR-95T.  Of course I need a subwoofer or two, and for that I have to head north.  All the way to Fort St. John in BC Canada to visit Funk Audio.  And since I am not totally insane, I nab one of their 18.0C models, although it does still go down to 10Hz.

Now on paper, those speakers do not have drastically different specs from mine.  The best chocoloates in the world are a blend, as are the best wines.  Even a varietal wine has some kind of blend if it wants to achieve greatness.  So why would I listen to Merlot all the time?

Bear in mind that I say all this in jest, but there is a kernel of a genuine question there too.

1 hour ago, USNRET said:

Engineer tells me the part I need is designed to form, fit, function.
I tell him the xxx size will not fit in an x space.

Lawyer tells me that I have to use it or the engineer will sue

Customer has to pay for part that will not fit and there is no way to install
Engineer is paid by me to design
Lawyer sues me for breech of contract because I refused the follow on order of 100 each
I lose customer

Reputation ruined
Be sure to wave when I greet you as the assistant Wally World door guardian

You need to work with engineers who know how to work with their hands.  If they have experience fabricating they are always better engineers. 

I am not a suing kind of lawyer, I am a developing kind of attorney.  I always try to make sure I know what is happening on the ground to make sure that everything works. 

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

OK, so we start with the precious RC-7 center.  Now it has 8 inch woofers so it needs big and powerful LR.  I am going to go with the SVS Ultra, 2- 8" woofer, 2 6.5" mid-range and 1" tweeter. For the surrounds,  M&K SUR-95T.  Of course I need a subwoofer or two, and for that I have to head north.  All the way to Fort St. John in BC Canada to visit Funk Audio.  And since I am not totally insane, I nab one of their 18.0C models, although it does still go down to 10Hz.

Now on paper, those speakers do not have drastically different specs from mine.  The best chocoloates in the world are a blend, as are the best wines.  Even a varietal wine has some kind of blend if it wants to achieve greatness.  So why would I listen to Merlot all the time?

Bear in mind that I say all this in jest, but there is a kernel of a genuine question there too.

If you want a Sub you need to get an 1802 or 1502.

31 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

You need to work with engineers who know how to work with their hands.

I have met one. He is a Carnegie Melon Civil Engineer that has worked aeronautics exclusively since school.