RF-7III review, for whatever it's worth

Paducah Home Theater

Some people were asking for a long post about my opinion of the RF-7III, so here goes. I’m not a fancy audio writer for a magazine so fair warning. Second warning, this is my personal opinion which typically means my dealer hat is off. Sometimes I’m just a fan.

First of all the looks. There has been a push back against the cosmetic changes but I think it is pretty unfounded myself.

Plinth: I’m indifferent on the plinth, it’s kinda cool but you don’t really even have to use it, so I don’t know why people are complaining about it. If you don’t like it then don’t bolt it on and instead use pads or something. It’s pretty simple.

Chamfer: What was a big improvement in cosmetics was the 45 degree or so chamfer on the front edge. This alone makes it look much more modern. Get used to seeing this then go back to the old version and the RF-7II’s look like a monkey coffin.

Matte baffle: I think this was an improvement myself. I’m the opposite of most people though. I’m indifferent to it on the black but absolutely love it on the cherry. It breaks up the sea of wood plus gives the copper woofers a complimentary backdrop to look striking against if that makes any sense. The old cherry finish simply does not match copper woofers. You know what does compliment copper nicely though? Black.  :) This baffle probably allows the chamfer on the edges to be manufactured much easier as well. Installing a strip of veneer on that edge would slow construction down significantly I imagine.

Ports: the new rectangular ports are a little funny looking but hey, they’re on the back, nobody can see them.

Horn: The appearance of the horn is really the only thing I’m not a fan of. The sheen doesn’t really match and the edge doesn’t exactly blend in with the baffle. This however is way better than everybody including me expected, just more seamless than I thought it would be. I think the sonic benefits outweigh any nitpicking of the appearance, just no question, but this is the only thing that is a little odd looking in my opinion.  

Finish: I think the new natural cherry is a nice addition myself.  I was a little disappointed in the walnut, at this point I can't recommend buying walnut.  If it was the same veneer as the Forte III, sure, but I don't think it is, may possibly be stained oak or something, I don't know, all I know is that walnut Forte III's are gorgeous and these don't seem to live up to that situation.  Black is always a safe bet of course.  

As for the sound, I think people would be very surprised.

Treble: Man this horn is just straight up pleasant. I can listen to Metallica from 3’ away at high volume and I’m just comfortable. I mean yeah it’s loud but it’s not like I’m diving for the ear plugs. What other current Klipsch tower can you say that about? Nothing. It just sounds right. There aren’t any hot spots, it’s pleasant, it’s not bright, the snap of the beater on the skin of a kick drum is real nice and thick, honestly you just couldn’t ask for much better in my opinion.  

Midrange: Maybe it’s my imagination but I think upper midrange has been improved somehow. The RF-7II’s would often sound what I call “shouty”. I’m sure much of it was the recording, but still, mid to high male vocals sometimes just sounded uncontrolled with certain frequencies sounding unnatural. I don’t get that at all with these. If you read the product literature it mentions the separate chambers of the woofers helping to clean up the midrange and eliminated standing waves. If that’s what I’m hearing, then well… it worked.

Bass: So I’m a kick drum junkie. I had Metallica’s Hardwired To Self Destruct album going, bass knob was cranked on the Parasound Halo gear. Honestly I was very surprised when putting them up against the Forte III. When the double bass flurries came about like at the end of Hardwired, I felt like these things just ate it up. Some speakers are tight but they don’t extend very low. Some speakers and subs can extend low but they’re not that tight, so kick drums can turn into a sloppy mess. I felt like these were just perfect. Double bass flurries were just tight yet I didn’t feel like I needed a sub, it was both full and tight. The additional height as compared to the Heresy or Fortes that I’m used to hearing in my living room was interesting as well, it was just a wall of super tight double bass, absolutely killer. If you set these up and the bass doesn’t sound right, it ain’t the speakers fault.  I had them powered by a Parasound Halo A23 and felt like it was all I would ever need.  

As for general things I noticed, I love the new box artwork, that’s snazzy and modern. These things gained about 10 pounds due to the separate chambers and you can really tell it, harder to move around. Would have liked to have seen the aluminum speaker terminals from the Forte show up on these but I’m sure there’s additional costs.  

In summary, man don’t be trying to snag some RF-7II’s before they’re gone, hold out for some 7III’s, it’s worth it.  I've had people message me and say they were in tears by the second song because they finally found a speaker that didn't make their ears bleed.  I've sold some to RF-7II owners who compared them side by side and soon after the 7II's were up for sale, they said there was just no comparison.  These are a very significant upgrade.  

7 pink.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

• Moderators

Nice review, I have never seen or heard them yet, but have heard the sound is an improvement. From what I have heard this version is a real improvement in sound which I am glad, it's not just a change in looks with a new name, that makes me feel better. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lateral_Line said:

Thanks for the great detailed review!  How do these compare to Forte III?  Which pair do you prefer if you were to only have one?  

Depends I guess.  Fortes have more pronounced upper midrange.  I like the RF-7III better for rock music.  

• Like 2

Note to self: do not A/B these with Jubilees.  Oh my.  

I will say that Parasound Halo gear does seem to help.  Currently have Dave Matthews on them, a Marantz SR-7011 is powering them.  Not quite the same.  RF-7III + Parasound A23 + Parasound P5 is where it's at.  Marantz receiver, not quite so much.  

• Like 1

RF-7III and RC64III have arrived and are unpacked.  I unpacked them myself(not for the faint of heart)😂.  Quick thoughts which I will then  will follow up in a week or so with a review.  First, I’m no expert but I know what sound s good to me.  7s and 64 sound wonderful.   Please keep in mind I have yet to calibrate them and they are going through the breaking in process 🎶.  Two words keep coming to mind Clarity and Detail.....Clarity and Detail....wow.   Having trouble uploading pictures. Can’t go over 2mb.

• Like 1