Dual SVS SB-2000 review

wuzzzer

Received my SVS SB-2000 subwoofers today.  Very excited to get them set up although being delivered in Minnesota they are pretty frozen so I'm letting them sit out while I run errands and have lunch with my folks.

Initial impression...they are tiny!  I guess going from a quad of 15" subs to these will do that to a guy.  My room is small so these should work very well.  Looking forward to having useable output to 20Hz.  My Peavey subs, even though they are THX theater subs, drop like a rock below 45Hz or so.

20180103_093206.jpg

• Like 6

Well, going from four ported 15s to dual sealed 12s the bass is certainly different.  Different in a good way.  Very musical bass, very accurate sound, they blend perfectly with the speakers instead of taking over the whole room.  Haven't really cranked it up yet, kind of breaking them in at this point and letting my ears get used to the new sound.

Really liking what I'm hearing so far.  Probably just music and tv shows tonight and I'll throw in some movies tomorrow.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Schu said:

I'm in for a more in-depth review impression... Those are the exact model I had looked at, and almost purchased, sometime ago.

I wished they had sale pricing.

For music, very detailed sound.  You can easily differentiate kick drums and bass guitars that are playing at the same time.  Very tight and defined.

For movies, these subs have tremendous output down to 20Hz and even below.  I played test tones through them and there was even some 15Hz output from them.

I'm very impressed by what these subs can do.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Schu said:

So now that you have lived with them for a week or so, what is your experience?

They've handled everything I've thrown at them incredibly well.  I've made several adjustments to the output levels and have settled at the perfect level that gives a great amount of bass without overpowering the other speakers.

I put the subs on spikes since I have a carpeted basement and that seemed to help increase the 'tightness' of the bass.  The stock small rubber feet are pretty sad.  If I didn't have carpet I would definitely buy the larger isolation feet from SVS or something similar.

For the size, they offer awesome output with a very small footprint.

• Like 2

I recently moved my SB-2000 up to my theater and have a SVS PB-12/plus 2 already in there and I think I made a mistake.  It does not really go as low as the other one, I know the other one has two 12s and is much bigger by volume, and I can't even tell it is on.  It sits about 7 feet from me, the sb-2000, and the pb sits about 6 feet away.  Think I am going to move it back to the music room and maybe get something else.  Was really looking for something that would take care of that midbass.  The PB has the sub-20hz locked down but missing that kind of slam. Any suggestions?

Glad you like the sb-2000. It is really musical and fits right in with my other speakers.

6 minutes ago, dm465531 said:

I recently moved my SB-2000 up to my theater and have a SVS PB-12/plus 2 already in there and I think I made a mistake.  It does not really go as low as the other one, I know the other one has two 12s and is much bigger by volume, and I can't even tell it is on.  It sits about 7 feet from me, the sb-2000, and the pb sits about 6 feet away.  Think I am going to move it back to the music room and maybe get something else.  Was really looking for something that would take care of that midbass.  The PB has the sub-20hz locked down but missing that kind of slam. Any suggestions?

Glad you like the sb-2000. It is really musical and fits right in with my other speakers.

I think it can be pretty challenging to integrate a ported sub with a sealed sub, at least to get the results you're looking for.

Probably would want to use something like REW (Room EQ Wizard) with a good mic and something like the miniDSP to get the room and the subs really dialed in to your satisfaction.

Yeah I agree. Just thought I see what it would do.  Think I am gonna try and order a PB-1000 and see if that is any better.  One of my problems is the PB-12/plus 2 is so darn big it is really hard to find a place to fit it.  I had to put it in a corner and gave it about a foot on each side and tuned it to 18 hz.  I put the SB-2000 in the front in between my center and right channel.  

Just now, dm465531 said:

Yeah I agree. Just thought I see what it would do.  Think I am gonna try and order a PB-1000 and see if that is any better.  One of my problems is the PB-12/plus 2 is so darn big it is really hard to find a place to fit it.  I had to put it in a corner and gave it about a foot on each side and tuned it to 18 hz.  I put the SB-2000 in the front in between my center and right channel.  

Can you run the SB-2000 in near field?  To heck with tuning it for the room, just put it on your lap and feel the bass... :D

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...