Forte II passive same as Forte III ??

razor192

I would believe so...eventually. I called klipsch parts department about a month or two ago to get more information about purchasing the forte III midrange and tweeter drivers/horns for an experiment and they said they are not available to purchase as stand alone parts as of yet, just warranty replacements.

• 3 months later...

Just unpacked new KD15s.  Can tell you that they are slightly larger than the originals, and they don’t fit flush into the hole.  Will require some manual filing to slightly enlarge the hole on each speaker.  Apparently no pain, no gain.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Netscout said:

Just unpacked new KD15s.  Can tell you that they are slightly larger than the originals, and they don’t fit flush into the hole.  Will require some manual filing to slightly enlarge the hole on each speaker.  Apparently no pain, no gain.

Do they fit down part way into the cutout? I was thinking cutting out a thick casket of cork or similar that will seal off the fitting without having to set down so far into the cutout. Appearances may differ but they are on the back of the speaker.

59 minutes ago, DavidF said:

Do they fit down part way into the cutout? I was thinking cutting out a thick casket of cork or similar that will seal off the fitting without having to set down so far into the cutout. Appearances may differ but they are on the back of the speaker.

The outer hole is too small.  For now I fit them in as snug as they would go and just progressively tightened down the screws.  Half is fully seated, the other half has about 2mm of the metal edge sticking up.  It’s not permanent.  I just wanted to get them in to hear the difference.  They sound fantastic.

I suppose that cork would work, but I suspect that the gasket already makes it pretty close to airtight even though it’s not fully seated.

i picked up the Forte IIs from a yard sale.  $20 for the pair.  Passives were shredded, probably by cats, but otherwise excellent condition.  So now, I happily own a complete set of Forte IIs, which are replacing a pair of Quartets that I bought in the mid-90s.  Cost me $180 total.  Probably the most enjoyable yard sale deal I ever made.

• Like 2