UPDATE: It's 2018; what audio gear DID YOU BUY?

wvu80

Well, let's see.  My wife and I are making an offer on a piece of land tomorrow morning and will start building a new house once ours is sold.  It will have a "bonus room" for me above the garage for all my goodies; all 2-channel stuff....I don't do home theater anymore.  No one in the house watches it or cares about it...including me.  So, I guess that and the new house will be my/our purchase for the year.  Equipment wise, I have nothing planned until we are moved in to the new house. 

• Like 2

I have a couple things to do this year. 

Man Cave

Go all active with the KPT-904's and THTLP. I need another crown xti1000 then I'm set.

Garage

Im not sure what I will put in there but something BIG and LOUD lol.

Patio

Install a small system consisting of 4 JBL control 28's and build a sub to go with them.

Living Room

Put something in there with high WAF, Wife wants something "rustic" looking may have to go the diy route on those.....not sure yet.

• Like 2

On 1/5/2018 at 8:43 AM, gottajam said:

Unfortunately we are going to downsize. Wife says she is tired of looking at "the beasts" in the living room. I have to agree that they might be a little too much for our room but man I LOVE the P38s. Been looking at Dynaudio C1 Platinum, Dali Epicon 2, Salk and maybe a couple others. I am willing to downsize to some stand mount speakers, but I still want excellent sound reproduction.

Oh, the sacrifices we make...

I've had large bookshelf speakers on stands in the living room.  Honest to goodness they take up the same amount of floor space as large floor standers, but I fully sympathize with your efforts to accommodate the wife. 

But hey, if I can take those Pallidiums off your hands for a couple hundred bucks, let me know.  I'm always willing to help a guy out for the sake of domestic tranquility.  You DID say you were going to make sacrifices... :D

+++

I'm thinking of heading over the the Solid State sub-forum to learn about building a DIY Type D amp.  I'm pretty happy with my Marantz 6011 but I bought a fancy soldering station last year and I'm in need of a new project to justify its existence. 

• Like 1

Really nothing.  Maybe a new budget BD player for my bedroom to replace my 9 year old Panasonic.  It functions properly with most BDs out there but refuses to play the movies with high CGI content.  Onboard processor just not up to the task.

Bill

Now that I sold my spare TI TPA3255EVM to Claude, @ClaudeJ1, my anticipated audio expenditures in 2018 will be limited to putting my 3255 into a proper case and reconnecting my four TH subs to the 2-channel Super Heresys, as well as to the Fostex drivered 5.1 HT system.  Other than switches, connectors, cables, etc., no serious audio purchases need be made.

After accomplishing the above, I will be able to return to cleaning vinyl with the incomparable Reg Williamson cleaning process and then ripping that cleaned vinyl to FLAC files.  When the vinyl on hand is done, haunting used record stores, yard sales, thrift stores, etc. for hidden vinyl treasures will resume.  IMO, buying music is more rewarding than buying hardware, but you need good hardware first.

• Like 2

On second thought, I just bought a used Pono player from Amazon.  For the money, the ESS Sabre DAC, Ayre circuitry, and differential outputs are unbeatable.  Between it and my existing player, I should be able to play hi-res files indefinitely.

At a recent business convention I won a $250 Amazon gift card as a door prize.  A friend asked if I would use it to buy more speakers.  My wife then said, "No, buy something frivolous."  I then asked her if she realized that she is now on record stating that speakers aren't "frivolous."

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DizRotus said:

At a recent business convention I won a $250 Amazon gift card as a door prize.  A friend asked if I would use it to buy more speakers.  My wife then said, "No, buy something frivolous."  I then asked her if she realized that sh is now on records stating that speakers aren't "frivolous."

and her response was... ?

• 6 months later...

I'll play, even though I don't fit the question.

I'm not looking to add anything.

In fact, I'm thinning some of the heard (two single MWM's, four double MWM's, two Peavy MB1 units, empty LaScala bin)

Considering selling the Peach & two EV-DX-38's that I have since I won't need those for the MWM bins that I won't have...

On 1/4/2018 at 11:41 PM, wvu80 said:

Even though I don't need one, I think I would like to pick up a power amp like maybe an Emotiva 3 channel or 5 channel amp, but I am holding out for a "deal."

I know you're not supposed to quote yourself but I had forgotten about this thread.  It turns out I did find a deal on an Emotiva XPA-5 six months ago.

Now if I can find another deal I might be looking for a multi-channel pre-amp, and the current Onk 717 I'm using as a pre-amp I'll send along to my son.

• Like 2

I just bought a chip amp to replace the one I currently have.  My old one is doing TV speaker amplifier duty and I like to have a spare for testing speaker projects.  That being said, I really am happy with what I currently have.  I know, I know, that feeling will pass.

• Haha 1

now that I am gainfully employed again, after my better half gets some home improvement projects rolling, I'm going to "put in" for an amp for our system.  watching the market to see what's out there, then filter down to what will fit inside the WAF approved cabinet.  I'd prefer a multi channel, 3 or more, but if there's a deal on monos, hey - hard to pass up a deal, right?  I like the Emo XPA's but most of them I've checked the size on will not fit inside the cab.  but a UPA-200 should, as well as some Parasounds, and the Acurus 200x3.

decisions, decisions.  and timing - catch her when she's willing to "approve" this project, lol