UPDATE: It's 2018; what audio gear DID YOU BUY?

wvu80

I really hadn’t planned on any updates in 2018, but when our old Sony Flat Screen XBR TV decided to retire, I replaced it with a Sony XBR 4K Ultra HD TV. Well, you can’t just stop there, so I upgraded my Blu-ray player to a Sony 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player. Well, you can’t stop there either, so I upgraded my old B&K Reference 50 Series II Surround Processor and Carver 5 Channel Power Amp to a Marantz SR5012 Surround Receiver. Well, you certainly can’t stop there, so I replaced my Amazon FireTV with a 4K Ultra HD FireTV. And, of course, I updated all of my HDMI cables to AudioQuest Cinnamon & Chocolate cables. Dangit, I thought I was done, but you can’t let 2 channels of a 7 Channel amplifier go unused, so I added two Klipsch RP-140SA Dolby Atmos Speakers to make my Home Theater a 5.1.2 System. Whew, my wife sure hopes that’s it for a while! 😳

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Buck115 said:

I really hadn’t planned on any updates in 2018, but when our old Sony Flat Screen XBR TV decided to retire, I replaced it with a Sony XBR 4K Ultra HD TV. Well, you can’t just stop there, so I upgraded my Blu-ray player to a Sony 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player. Well, you can’t stop there either, so I upgraded my old B&K Reference 50 Series II Surround Processor and Carver 5 Channel Power Amp to a Marantz SR5012 Surround Receiver. Well, you certainly can’t stop there, so I replaced my Amazon FireTV with a 4K Ultra HD FireTV. And, of course, I updated all of my HDMI cables to AudioQuest Cinnamon & Chocolate cables. Dangit, I thought I was done, but you can’t let 2 channels of a 7 Channel amplifier go unused, so I added two Klipsch RP-140SA Dolby Atmos Speakers to make my Home Theater a 5.1.2 System. Whew, my wife sure hopes that’s it for a while! 😳

Cinnamon & Chocolate cables? What version HDMI are they up to now, 7 trillion?

JJK

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, -js- said:

I like the Emo XPA's but most of them I've checked the size on will not fit inside the cab. 

Sounds to me like you should be in the market for a new cab. 

Try to make it look like it is your wife's idea.  B)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Sounds to me like you should be in the market for a new cab. 

Try to make it look like it is your wife's idea.  B)

That's the only way we'd get one  - when it's her idea. 

• Like 1

I'm updating houses this year (building a new one) so my main new thing will be a dedicated 16 x 35 room upstairs.  Might build a Cinema F20 sub or similar to go with the Belle's.  Equipment wise?  Nothing planned at mid year unless I come across a deal.  Maybe a cheap a$$ surround system for upstairs for that rare occasion I care about it.  Wait...  No.

While not directly audio, I've been looking for a monitor for my DAW recording pc. It needs to be at least a 2k, and I just notex wallyworld has a 4k 43inch vizio tv for $299. It would work quite well for the intended purpose. I just have to convince the wife.

Bruce

On 1/14/2018 at 8:54 AM, DizRotus said:

Now that I sold my spare TI TPA3255EVM to Claude, @ClaudeJ1, my anticipated audio expenditures in 2018 will be limited to putting my 3255 into a proper case and reconnecting my four TH subs to the 2-channel Super Heresys, as well as to the Fostex drivered 5.1 HT system.  Other than switches, connectors, cables, etc., no serious audio purchases need be made.

After accomplishing the above, I will be able to return to cleaning vinyl with the incomparable Reg Williamson cleaning process and then ripping that cleaned vinyl to FLAC files.  When the vinyl on hand is done, haunting used record stores, yard sales, thrift stores, etc. for hidden vinyl treasures will resume.  IMO, buying music is more rewarding than buying hardware, but you need good hardware first.

Still need to put my two in cases....................got all the part, so............................Drill we must!!

4 hours ago, Marvel said:

I've been looking for a monitor for my DAW recording pc. It needs to be at least a 2k, and I just noted wallyworld has a 4k 43inch vizio tv for $299. It would work quite well for the intended purpose. I just have to convince the wife.

That's a ridiculous low price compared to a couple of years ago.

I've been looking casually at the HDTV's, Sams Club, Walmart.  For whatever reason the prices have dropped greatly, at least the ones anything less than 75 inches.  A thousand bucks will get you a BIG TV!

Are the TV's due for the next "bigger and better" thing, so they are dropping the prices on all the "old" 4K TV's?

7 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

That's a ridiculous low price compared to a couple of years ago.

I've been looking casually at the HDTV's, Sams Club, Walmart.  For whatever reason the prices have dropped greatly, at least the ones anything less than 75 inches.  A thousand bucks will get you a BIG TV!

Are the TV's due for the next "bigger and better" thing, so they are dropping the prices on all the "old" 4K TV's?

one number one letter........8K........

George

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think they are dropping prices on the smaller screen sizes . And the ones that are 720p are very chep, bur that is lower res than I can use. The reg hd at 1080p is too low, also.

I had a 34 inch 4k samsung hooked up at work and it was superb, but still costing $450. A 32/43 inch would be ideal for my use as a monitor.

Bruce

I just added a pair of Klipsch XB-10 to the collection, always liked the angled look of them. They will be replacing a pair of KSB 1.1 that I use in a quasi surround  capacity, albeit 2 channel. I also use them to guage the volume of my outdoor AW 525 speakers as they have similiar ratings. As will the XB 10. I will drop them in this weekend to see how they compare.

On 1/12/2018 at 8:25 PM, Wim M said:

This year I want to replace my Parasound P5 pre amp and introduce some tubes.  I 've already been looking at a Mcintosh C 2600.  I read that Klipsch and Mac has always been a magical match.

It seems 2018 can't go wrong anymore for us.  We replaced our Parasound A21 by a McIntosh MC 275 and a few weeks ago the P 5 was replaced by a C2600.

DSC_0006.JPG

• Like 2