Rp-140sa not impressed

Diesel

I just got my klipsch rp140sa got them hooked up to a denon 2400h in a 5.1.2 setup  and watched a movie with atmos and not much sound comes out of them. I was very dissapointed  Iv tried them at 80 and 120 hz what am i doing wrong iv tried dolby atmos and dtsx and still same amout of sound comes out. Any ideas?

7 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I just got my klipsch rp140sa got them hooked up to a denon 2400h in a 5.1.2 setup  and watched a movie with atmos and not much sound comes out of them. I was very dissapointed  Iv tried them at 80 and 120 hz what am i doing wrong iv tried dolby atmos and dtsx and still same amout of sound comes out. Any ideas?

It could just be the soundtrack of the atmos audio.  Atmos - from what I understand - is object based sound, so I wouldn't imagine necessarily that a lot of sound might come from them.  So yeah, could have to do with the soundtrack, could have to do with the source, could have to do with the amp, might be a trim thing...there's lots of things.  Have you tried running them to different channels to see if you get more sound out of them to rule out a speaker issue?

Yes i ran multi channel and sound comes out from all the reviews iv read people are amazed with them and the sound and im like over here not impressed. Now i didnt re run my audyssey i just manualy set the settings would that change anything?

I ran the calibration when i first got my denon i was just running 5.1 my rp140sa just came today i hooked them up and manualy set them to 80 hz and celling distance and watched a movie i didnt re run my calibration. Bc befor when i did my calibration i wasnt happy so i went back in and tweeked with the settings.

Just now, Diesel said:

I ran the calibration when i first got my denon i was just running 5.1 my rp140sa just came today i hooked them up and manualy set them to 80 hz and celling distance and watched a movie i didnt re run my calibration. Bc befor when i did my calibration i wasnt happy so i went back in and tweeked with the settings.

Re-run calibration ensuring all speakers are accounted for then manually adjust outputs using an SPL meter at your sweet spot. Disclaimer: anything over 5.2 is a waste to me I am not into the ATMOS thing.

Yeah i guess i was looking for more bang for my buck ill try a re calibration and see if it makes a change. I watched hacksaw ridge and not much movie content played threw the atmos speakers and at a low volume. I turned up the db a few just to get move volume threw them

9 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Really need 4 of these, 2 doesn't do much.  Sometimes they can be localized as well so the effect is kind of killed.  I like the RP-280FA's better.  

Hey Metro just curious why do you think they sound better in at 280 FAS then they do stand alone are they not the same components in the 140 is that they put in the 280fas...

I guess I'll go a different direction here than everybody else I've heardatmos BestBuy and was impressed however I've never heard it in my own home so I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not, glad to see the discussion though as I am considering upgrading my receiver so it has atmos...

12 hours ago, Diesel said:

Yeah i guess i was looking for more bang for my buck ill try a re calibration and see if it makes a change. I watched hacksaw ridge and not much movie content played threw the atmos speakers and at a low volume. I turned up the db a few just to get move volume threw them

12 hours ago, Diesel said:

Are you using the RP140SA as a height or surround speaker?

Since you mentioned setting the ceiling distance I assumed as a height speaker aimed up directing sound off the ceiling.

Looking at the Denon x2400h there are no height speaker outputs as in the x4300h/4400h. But that would seem Atmos would mix the height sound objects into the surrounds for even more sound out that speaker.

Are you getting any sound at all or just not alot of sound? The reason I ask is because when I added a second sub to my Denon and was to lazy to rerun Audyssey i got no sound out of the second sub, what I found out was that during the initial run of Audyssey since there was no speaker connected the outputs were disabled and that was indicated on a separate menu screen.

Also one last thing is I have noticed that on some rental disc the Atmos soundtrack has been omitted. I cant remember if it was Hacksaw Ridge or Deep Water Horizon but there was no selection for Atmos only the DTS and or Dolby surround settings.

3 hours ago, xo705cf said:

Hey Metro just curious why do you think they sound better in at 280 FAS then they do stand alone are they not the same components in the 140 is that they put in the 280fas...

Because in the 280FA's the drivers are inset and encapsulated in foam, there's no direct line of sight from your ears to the drivers, it keeps everything you hear coming from the ceiling rather than partially coming from the speakers.  

Davis on the denon 2400 there is a setting you can set for hight or celling or upward firing for atmos. i get sound just not what i was expecting i guess to me for the money it wasnt worth it so far but im gonna play around with it im gonna do a recalibration on it and see it that helps .

Edited by Diesel

I am running 2 pairs of rp-140sa speakers and I love them. Yes, I'm sure the rp-280fa speakers would be better, but I am using bigger and older klipsch towers, so that wasn't an option for me. I started off with 1 pair and it worked, but left me wanting more. Once I got my second pair, I was absolutely amazed. Make sure your settings are right, then definitely rerun the auto setup.

I have rb51ii's I use as front heights and I run them about 4-6db hotter than calibration set them.  I love the effect they have in my system.  Some people run their subs hotter, some run center, run the calibration as a starting point then tweek it to your preference.  Also on my Marantz 6010 I think there is a height effect of low, medium, and high which also affects the sound, not sure on your model though

• So tell me what you guys think i re did my audyssey and here is how it set my speakers up.
  • Fronts set to large
  • Center set to small
  • Surround set to small
  • Front dolby set to small
  • Fronts set to full band
  • Center set to 60 hz
  • Surround set to 40hz
  • Front dolby set to 90 hz
  • Front L -6.5 db
  • Front R-5.5 db
  • Center -9.0 db
  • Sub -4.0 db
  • Surround L -7.5 db
  • Surround R -6.0 db
  • Front dolby L -2.0db
  • Front dolby R -1.0 db
  • Please let me know what you guys think of how it set it up and what i need to change or just leave it. Thanks