ATMOS and beyond

USNRET

WTF? How many more channels of processing will preclude content and result? It seems to my weak mind that a lot of marketing is going into selling eleventy seven plus channels and folks are buying in to mediocre, at best, systems based simply on channels supported. Just seems like BS to me unless you have a dedicated room that has been measured and treated and then gathered media content which uses the channels in a way that makes sense.

Good grief, I have a Carver DPL something or other in the closet that promised SURROUND sound. It's minty and I am the original owner purchased years ago at the Barksdale AFB exchange; want to buy it?

906CE75C-9DC5-41DB-ABFB-666EC22F5BFE.jpeg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Good grief, I have a Carver DLP something or other in the closet that promised SURROUND sound. It's minty; want to buy it?

Does it have Dolby THX XDS LMNOP Ultra Neural Neo:X27-2.6.19 support?

Psh, then it's crap. :P

3 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

Does it have Dolby THX XDS LMNOP Ultra Neural Neo:X27-2.6.19 support?

Psh, then it's crap. :P

So, no offer? Why have I moved this from house to house for, oh, 20+ years?

Honestly, I am finding myself more and more using 2.1 over 5 and 7.1.  I think I can count on both hands how many times in the last 6 months how many times I've had anything "Dolby" on my AVR or Preamp's display.

I've heard 11.4 set ups - and I did like them - but I couldn't tell you what was different between them and a 7.4 set up that was configured properly.  I'm of the opinion that while people are rambling on about Atmos and DTS:X and putting all their emphasis there, they're ignorant of small things being changed that actually matter.  Power ratings, quality of the power supply, longevity of the electronics and components used, and usability.  Maybe that's got to do with working in a sustainment field - maybe it's just my version of common sense.  Either way, I am not convinced that the latest slew of electronics coming out is "the best that's ever been" - in fact, I've been more of the thought that we're starting to move backwards.

7 hours ago, USNRET said:

WTF? How many more channels of processing will preclude content and result? It seems to my weak mind that a lot of marketing is going into selling eleventy seven plus channels and folks are buying in to mediocre, at best, systems based simply on channels supported.

I've seen too many (non-audiophile) friends with 2-channel systems ... one channel in the living room and the other in the bedroom. With eleven channels they can have a speaker in every room in the house.

30 minutes ago, xo705cf said:

Okay I'll be the elephant in the room, I've heard at most a couple of times in BestBuy and actually liked the effect... but I do understand where you're coming from with having to have more speakers and channels Etc when is enough enough...

Not even that.

It goes into what I mentioned about amplification too. Companies are adding all these channels to tiny, weak power supplies that can't effectively put out good power. I believe there are literally less than 10 AVRs that put out over 100 WPC all channels driven. All of them are probably over $3k. That's not how it used to be when the thing to have was 7.1.

Atmos, to me, is a damaging and wasteful endeavor.

I am running a 7.2.4 atmos setup and I love it. I'm running Denon receiver for separate external amps that take care of powering the 11 channels. I don't have a properly treated room and my atmos speakers are ones that bounce sound off of the ceiling and everything seems to work fine. I'm sure it would be better off if the room was treated, but it's a living room (not dedicated home theater) and I can only do so much. The atmos effects are similar to going from 5.1 to 7.1, nothing major usually, but it does add something. Usually, it's subtle.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2018 at 10:42 AM, The History Kid said:

Atmos, to me, is a damaging and wasteful endeavor.

I see what you're saying, but 'damaging' is a bit overboard. The cool thing about this hobby is how far each of us want to go. Atmos is just another option.

Similar to what you said above, I've been real content when using a 2.1 setup in our back room. Sounds excellent with a 70s era receiver. Very little calibration needed for a fun movie experience.

Right now I don't have plans to go beyond 5.2. Budget dictates this. If I had more disposable income to throw at HT I'd be exploring what Atmos has to offer.

2 hours ago, Rivernuggets said:

'damaging' is a bit overboard.

I didn't used to have to spend 4 digits just to get an AVR that guaranteed me over 100 RMS to all my channels.  I didn't used to have to have separate pieces just to get a decent collection of power for when I wanted headroom either.  It is damaging - to power ratings and wallets.  And especially damaging to the people wanting to get into the hobby who don't know any better.

Ill never go beyond 5.1/5.2... I am perfectly happy at this point that any improvement would seem like a sideways move. I constantly look over my shoulder because could swear someone or something is sneaking up on me.

Even 2 channel stereo played back as surround sound is extremely immersive and quite stunning.