Ebay K402 and K510 with drivers

jwc

That's the old style K-402 horn, i.e., the first one marketed with metal throat adapter and which reportedly deforms if placed in direct sunlight (as reported by @kg4guy, IIRC).

The price seems high for such an old assembly--perhaps by a factor of 2.  The driver(s) are K-69s/B&C DE75s--which sound quite a bit better than the K-69-As. 

• Thanks 1

Looks like cinema surplus/liquidation from the number and type of offerings.  The bottom driver on the K-402 MF/HF assembly actually looks like a K-1133 (midrange compression driver).

Used DE75s from ebay are going for $125 each...used: https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-each-B-C-DE75-8P-driver-/291496580379

I have absolutely no use for a K-1133 driver and I personally wouldn't go for the first-generation K-402 horn as shown. 

That leaves you with a K-402 stand-only and a non-mumps (first generation) K-510 horn...$1250 seems a little high for that.

YMMV.

Chris

Not sure if this was understood from the way everyone's talking but this auction is for 2 of the assemblies pictured...  so 2x K510/DE75, 2x K402/K1133 & 2x HF crossovers...

I did also ask the seller about the crack seen on the K402 pictured but didn't get a response as to the condition of any of the other 5 assemblies....?

1 hour ago, CANT said:

Not sure if this was understood from the way everyone's talking but this auction is for 2 of the assemblies pictured...  so 2x K510/DE75, 2x K402/K1133 & 2x HF crossovers...

I did also ask the seller about the crack seen on the K402 pictured but didn't get a response as to the condition of any of the other 5 assemblies....?

I didn't realize for a pair.  If was pickup and close by....that would be tempting.

I have owned the exact same MF/HF setup in the past and I would suggest thinking outside the box for someone wanting an excellent sounding MF/HF Horn Setup.

First generation K402 are not cosmetically nice in general and yes the material the horn is made of are extremely hard at normal temperatures indoors but will deform under stress and high heat from direct sunlight during the summer months (These weren't designed for outside installs for the most part and direct sunlight isn't good for drivers or loudspeakers in general anyway)

The cracks in the K402 are stress related from the weight of mounting the K510 and it's baffle and could easily be repaired. 

I would suggest to someone wanting these and was worried about cosmetic issues to think about making an enclosure with grille cloth covering the horns and thus hiding an unpleasant cosmetic issues that concerned them.

They will benefit from some very slight EQ adjustments due to the MF/HF passive crossover being voiced for behind screen use.

IMHO this combination of (MF-K1133/K402 and HF-B&C DE75/K510 as a 3-way on a Jub LF) versus a (K402/TAD TD4002 on a Jub LF as a 2-way) some very serious competition.  Vocals and clarity are excellent with the (MF-K1133/K402 and HF-B&C DE75/K510 combination).

Even though these are first generation K402 and K510 horns this was and still is an excellent sound reproducing design by Roy and Klipsch..

miketn

• Like 1

I guess $1550.00 shipped freight for a pair isn't to bad.

Or $2250ish for a new pair with the b&c drivers without the k510.( I don't have a solid source on this, its just what has always seem to be the rumor)

What is the overall depth from the mouth of the horn to the rear of the mounting board/driver?

@Chief bonehead is what Mike saying true, sorry Mike, not that I don't believe you, just helps to get the opinion from the creator and how/why they fixed this.

Very tempting.  I view the "old horn" as probably no detectable difference at all in a home setting.  That small crack in the 402 is insignificant and can be repaired and the horn strengthened with installation of full baffles like Klipsch uses today.  I would drill out the 402 like the new ones and put in a full baffle for the 510.

3 pairs available.  WOW...........if a "pair" is actually two 402, and two 510 assemblies.  A little confusing on the wording used.

The drivers involved are respectable as well for the price.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mark1101 said:

if a "pair" is actually two 402, and two 510 assemblies.  A little confusing on the wording used

From the description in the listing

This Auction is for a pair
Klipsh KPT 402 Horn with Driver
KPT 510 Top with B&C DE 75 Driver
Come with crossover .
Everything is Original , good condition.

I have three pairs available.
Question call 407 403 2990

Interesting as i am close enough to "pick these up" :)  , but hoping to get some feedback :)  Completely new to Jubilee/402/510 setups but started reading up on those about a week ago as I learned of their "superior" sound from a couple of posts. And ... it seems the 402 horns are the main cause for it. So; guess I could build a box for them and put them on top of my Cornwall's ... ???  Couple of questions please ... 1. Have "space" concerns; anyone know how "deep" these 402 horns are? 2. Says "with crossover" ; would this be a crossover for BOTH, i.e. can I just hook my amp (have a spare Marantz 1060) up to it or would I need an additional crossover?

Appreciate your thoughts! :)

Cheers, Emile

1 hour ago, Emile said:

would I need an additional crossover?

You would need something from the k402 to a lower frequency cab. The one that comes with this setup listed is just for the K402-K510.  If you were going to use your Cornwall cab, you would need to discount the woofer from the crossover and connect the woofer to  the crossover of the K402 (not the one one that comes with the K402/K510 combo).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The Dude said:

You would need something from the k402 to a lower frequency cab.

Hi Dude, thanks a lot for the advise. But guess I got "us" confused when I mentioned my Cornwall's.  Was hoping to just use the 402/510 unit as a stand-alone mid/hi speaker and was hoping it did not need additional crossovers. Thanks and cheers, Emile :)