SWL

A-55-G Midrange Drivers...Still Happy?

23 hours ago, SWL said:

That's interesting. I didn't know they were -3db. They just make everything sound cleaner and smoother. More cohesive.

I thought it was interesting they were 12 Ohm.  I think the K-55 models are 16 Ohm.  I'm not sure how the difference in Ohms would affect the sound.

If you measure the DCR of a K-55, what is the number?

So what are the sonic advantages of the 55G over the 55V currently in my LS? And is the G a plug n play with AA networks?

And thanks --

7 minutes ago, richieb said:

So what are the sonic advantages of the 55G over the 55V currently in my LS? And is the G a plug n play with AA networks?

And thanks --

The A-55-G sounds smoother, and yes, the A-55-G sounds great with the AA filter.

12 minutes ago, 7heavenlyplaces said:

10.4 Ohms for a K-55-V.

Right in there with the A-55-G (12 ohms).

DCR of the VC and impedance at the crossover point are not the same.

9 minutes ago, Deang said:

The A-55-G sounds smoother, and yes, the A-55-G sounds great with the AA filter.

--- and thanks again - 

8 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I DIY using a Youtube hearing test and even though I used to hear pretty good to 17 Khz with no holes in my hearing, now once we get to 12 Khz there is nothing above that.  It's just gone.    :blink:

Youtube compresses audio based on the video quality.

So I have belles, La scalas and CWs, I guess I am reading that I need 3 pairs of these drivers, and another set for the KLFs? Four pair of these... are they really worth it? I still run the stock K-77s as well, maybe it's time for some changes. I spent $750 on one TAD and feel it was totally worth it.  Push me over the edge...

Joe

I can only tell you that it is worth it in the KLF-30'S. Totally worth it.

I have a couple audio buddies that have them in their 30's and they have the same results.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Cantilope said:

So I have belles, La scalas and CWs, I guess I am reading that I need 3 pairs of these drivers, and another set for the KLFs? Four pair of these... are they really worth it? I still run the stock K-77s as well, maybe it's time for some changes. I spent $750 on one TAD and feel it was totally worth it.  Push me over the edge...

Joe

Maybe just 3 pairs since one can pretty quickly swap out mids between Belles and La Scala's with their open backs. ;)

I've never seen an A55G in person but if it was built to replace the K55/PD5VH I would imagine it has the same 11/16" (I think it's supposed to 5/8" but it measures a bit bigger) exit and if it does it is 3/16"-1/4" smaller than the K703 horn entry found in the KLF20/30... so aside from the 2-3db loss you may also end up with some unwanted audio artifacts/anomalies from the horn/driver mismatch in that application?

I know before the A55G was available, I tried out a couple K55V's in some KLF20's I had a while back and didn't think the combination sounded quite right... 

Replaced my belles with them along with the crites ct120, the 4500xover, and the volti horn. At light to moderate listening levels it is silky smooth and crystal clear.  At high SPL (reference levels) it starts to get slightly harsh. Still trying to figure out why...

On 1/11/2018 at 12:04 AM, Kalifornian said:

Replaced my belles with them along with the crites ct120, the 4500xover, and the volti horn. At light to moderate listening levels it is silky smooth and crystal clear.  At high SPL (reference levels) it starts to get slightly harsh. Still trying to figure out why...

Sonicaps are a bit bright in my opinion.  Might be something else though

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:45 PM, CANT said:

I know before the A55G was available, I tried out a couple K55V's in some KLF20's I had a while back and didn't think the combination sounded quite right... 

The mids on the 20's are already dialed back 4db further than 30's stock, dial them back another 3db and that would probably be too much. I think the autotransformer from the 30's in the 20's with the 55's would probably be about right maybe? 

On 1/6/2018 at 4:00 PM, wvu80 said:

I thought it was interesting they were 12 Ohm.  I think the K-55 models are 16 Ohm.  I'm not sure how the difference in Ohms would affect the sound.

I always measured 13 ohms on all the ones I had, which is quite a few.

I thought Roy had tested the A55g and was not that impressed with the results in as far as being superior to the K55?