The Klipsch Audio Community
SWL

A-55-G Midrange Drivers...Still Happy?

Tooling up is not cheap by any stretch. I've spoken to John many times. He's a stand up guy.

• Like 1

I replaced the k55v (not dual phase plug) with the A55G in my Cornwall and IMHO was a significant improvement at a relatively modest price.  I  hear much more resolution and less distortion than with the k55v.  Matching that up with the DE120 tweeter in my opinion really takes this sound to a new level.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 6:34 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

I'm not buying that $150,000 BS from John Allen, sorry. Converting to a mud magnet and going to a phase plug that was already designed didn't cost that much.

Do you know the myriad of different facets involved?  The cost basis for each/all of these pieces?  The # of years these costs were spread over? 

No; you don't.

This doesn't seem to deter you.

I replaced the k55v (not dual phase plug) with the A55G in my Cornwall and IMHO was a significant improvement at a relatively modest price.  I  hear much more resolution and less distortion than with the k55v.  Matching that up with the DE120 tweeter in my opinion really takes this sound to a new level.
I've done similar to my KLF-30's.....A55G mids and Dave A's MAHL tweeters that have the DE10 driver. Everything sounds gooder this way.....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Does it really matter how much it cost someone to place a new product into the market?  Really?  Does it sound good?  (yes)   Is it an improvement over what was previously available?  (yes)  Did it cost you anything to fabricate, test and market the unit?  (no)  Read the opinions of those that have purchased these units, and believe them or not.  Then, move on.

On 7/3/2019 at 7:13 PM, Deang said:

Tooling up is not cheap by any stretch. I've spoken to John many times. He's a stand up guy.

I have had a couple of fascinating conversations with him, face to face, about all kinds of things, including recording symphonies,  symphony halls, etc.

Deano, the next time you talk to him ask him how often he thinks someone needs to replace cross-over caps on Khorns.  He had a very quick answer, one that sounded like he had been asked before.  We can see if his response is the same to both of us.

Travis

I've been using those A55Gs for three years mated with some EV SM120 mid horns and Beyma CP25 tweeters. I previously had some K55V on the same setup for many years. The A55G sound definitely MUCH better to my ears; cleaner, smoother, and more organic. With an ALK Universal crossover (now using only the high-pass section, the 400Hz crossover being now active) I'm able to raise the midrange output relative to the Beyma tweeter and it still sounds pure and smooth; doing that with my old K55V would have sounded honky and ill-defined. (I tried). 

The combination of smooth EV horns and smooth A55G drivers make the midrange miles ahead of the "typical Klipsch sound" which many find harsh and colored - even if it is musical; the EV / A55G combination makes the midrange more alike to higher end horn speakers. Having used the K55V for years I can tell a lot of that perceived amelioration comes from the improved driver.

I haven't tried the A55G on the Klipsch K400 horn which is, in my view, flawed - but I suspect the effect of the improved driver is still very much hearable.

IMG_2258.jpg

Edited by Rolox
  • Like 1