RF-5 Maple $350 BIN (Phoenix)

48n123w

1 hour ago, Arrow#422 said:

Does no-one here "like" the 5's?

Good deal if you can get past the maple - not my fav.

Why yes, have two pairs actually. :D  Great deal for someone although I have to agree with you on the maple, not my favorite either.

3 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Why yes, have two pairs actually. :D  Great deal for someone although I have to agree with you on the maple, not my favorite either.

I have a cherry set providing back up to their bigger brother 7's. 

Considering the cost of the newer dual 8" woofer 2 way towers such as the R-28f, or the older Rf-82, these are priced well below their performance level.

Not that I'm interested - but I am curious to know how the RF-5's XO differs from the 3.  I used to think that somehow the horn throat is what gave the 5 the edge, but when my 3 XO's got upgraded, it cleared the high end so much...I'm just not sure that's where the crucial difference lies.

Beautiful speakers either way.

@The History Kid

Specs on the 3's are no longer easily accessible within the K site.

5's have 1" tweet driver & 8" horn versus a 6" horn on the 3's - this could be the culprit.

150 watts for the 5's (add, "not sure about the 3's capabilities at this time)

If you are interested, I found this:

12 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

Not that I'm interested - but I am curious to know how the RF-5's XO differs from the 3.  I used to think that somehow the horn throat is what gave the 5 the edge, but when my 3 XO's got upgraded, it cleared the high end so much...I'm just not sure that's where the crucial difference lies.

Beautiful speakers either way.

After I had a pair of RF-3's recently and had the crossovers rebuilt the biggest difference was in the bass, the 3's bass got funky at higher volumes and the cabinets sounded misaligned the 5's bass sounds very clean and even at all volumes. There is a slight difference in the horn, 5's soundstage seems just a tad wider / bigger. I was very impressed though with how well the horn cleaned up on the 3's with the crossover rebuild, completely new very clean sounding upper end.

• Like 1

Just now, Arrow#422 said:

@The History Kid

Specs on the 3's are no longer easily accessible within the K site.

5's have 1" tweet driver & 8" horn versus a 6" horn on the 3's - this could be the culprit.

150 watts for the 5's.

If you are interested, I found this:

Your spec's on the 3's are incorrect.

They are rated at 150 W RMS and 600 Peak.  Dual 8" drivers, and 1" tweeter as well.  The only cosmetic difference on the front is the horn frame itself, which uses the RF-7's frame, not the 3's.

3 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

the biggest difference was in the bass

I'm not sure the room I A/B'd the crossovers in was well configured for me to identify if that's the same case on mine.  Nor did I ever run the 3's at full range.  Could be fun to compare them to the stock 3's I have sometime.

I hadn't quoted any specs on the 3's, but was able to delve into the archives, find them, and share above.

As shown, @Rich_Guy had shared his personal thoughts 4 years ago regarding the differences between the RF5's and RF3's. 

For various reasons, the 5's are much better both sonically & build / quality wise.

ymmv

I'm trying to figure out though, how much of that is actually subjective, and how much of it is not.  How much of those sonic differences are related to the cabinet, or tweeter, and how much has to do with the crossover or amp?  That's why I asked if anyone knew the minor details of the 3 vs. 5 XO's - simply because I'm curious to know if that's where some of the changes were made.

The 3's I believe were either first production run in China, or last production run Hope.

I'm not convinced that the tweeter in the 5 is necessarily superior to the 3 either.  Be interesting to A/B with the 5's for sure!

I agree on the A/B thought.

My research reveals these points:

The horn in the 3 is smaller than the 5. (6" vs 8")

The tweeter drivers are both 1" but yet different - 3's have K-124-K, 5's have K-119-K 

The 3 box is smaller

The 3 frequency response is not as low 37Hz vs 34Hz in the 5's

The 3 XO appears to be set at 1975Hz

The 5 XO appears to be 2600 Hz

I may completely incorrect with all of this, so please verify any & all information shared.

1 hour ago, The History Kid said:

Be interesting to A/B with the 5's for sure!

I have a pair of 5s in Cherry. If you get over to the Madison area sometime and have the car space, take them home and compare with your modded 3s.

They would have to be returned at some point!

7 hours ago, Arrow#422 said:

Does no-one here "like" the 5's?

Me! I like 'em.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The History Kid said:

I mean...do I have to?

If you ever get a set of 5's to try out I'm certain the 3's will go bye bye or at least reassigned. The 5's cabinets alone are worth the upgrade, nice and solid, heavily braced and real wood veneer, very nice. 

6 hours ago, Arrow#422 said:

I agree on the A/B thought.

My research reveals these points:

The horn in the 3 is smaller than the 5. (6" vs 8")

The tweeter drivers are both 1" but yet different - 3's have K-124-K, 5's have K-119-K 

The 3 box is smaller

The 3 frequency response is not as low 37Hz vs 34Hz in the 5's

The 3 XO appears to be set at 1975Hz

The 5 XO appears to be 2600 Hz

I may completely incorrect with all of this, so please verify any & all information shared.

I believe this is a case where the tweeter drivers are the same (they are) but Klipsch used a different part number because of the different horn they are attached to.