New Cornwall iii's. Caring for finish

ODS123

I've come across a lot of comments here about restoring older Heritage speakers but nothing about what special care, if any, new speakers require.  Curiously, there is nothing from Klipsch about this in the Owners manual.   My C3's are finished in Cherry and reside in a room with quite a bit of sunlight.  ..I've already noticed the color deepening, which is totally fine by me.  

Thoughts on how to keep the finish at it's best?

As an aside, I'm loving my Cornwall iii's!  I couldn't be happier.  ..As I keep saying, I've never been more eager to sit and listen to music as I am now.

DSC_0819.jpg

• Like 2

If yours are oiled, you can dust and clean them with a barely damp cloth and later apply a thin coat of lemon oil, annually.  If they are lacquered, just dust weekly.  You can find furniture grade Lemon Oil in lots of stores. 

Just now, jimjimbo said:

Oiled or lacquered?  If lacquered, simply dust, if oiled, Watco Rejuvenating Oil occasionally.

I have that and used it (Watco) sorta sticky that stuff is.. BTW, nannas received just now, thanks.

4 minutes ago, USNRET said:

I have that and used it (Watco) sorta sticky that stuff is.. BTW, nannas received just now, thanks.

If you find it sticky, you might be leaving it on too long.  I normally wipe it dry at least 3 times with fresh cloth.  

And, you are welcome.

24 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

If you find it sticky, you might be leaving it on too long.  I normally wipe it dry at least 3 times with fresh cloth.  

And, you are welcome.

Seemed sticky immediately...a couple of minutes at best

17 hours ago, dtel said:

I think they all have clear on them now, could be why they feel sticky immediately.

Agreed, my new Cornwalls do appear to have some sort of a clear coat.  

Doesn't it seem strange that Klipsch doesn't provide detailed instructions on how to care for the finish of their Heritage speakers?  Particularly when being hand-made using carefully matched veneers is one of their signature features.

8 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

Agreed, my new Cornwalls do appear to have some sort of a clear coat.  

Doesn't it seem strange that Klipsch doesn't provide detailed instructions on how to care for the finish of their Heritage speakers?  Particularly when being hand-made using carefully matched veneers is one of their signature features.

Yes they should have some type of literature stating about caring for the wood finishes but to tell you the truth, it really is very simple, dust often with soft cloth.

Bill

2 hours ago, dtel said:

Thought you all might like to see some Cornwall lll's being made including spraying with clear. This finish is Walnut, Aug 2006.

http://www.cyclonecj.com/dtel/Dtelcorns-small/

Very cool seeing how these are made - thanks!!  ..A couple comments:  First, why isn't the fellow applying stain/ clear coat wearing a respirator!  Klipsch!  ..For the love of your employees, make this mandatory!

And secondly (and of far lesser importance), it looks like this speaker is made of plywood, rather than MDF as mentioned in their literature.  Not that that matters much to me, but it's interesting.

• Moderators

It was kind of like a car spray booth with a lot of suction on one end, I have never seen it there again, it may have been temparary ? I would think they had to make something easier to do many speakers, a couple pair at a time brought into one room would be slow.

Never thought about it being plywood, might be, I have never looked inside of ours to see what it is ? Unless the motherboard is plywood and the rest is vennered mdf. Either way is fine with me.