Klipsch Forte

25 minutes ago, A Short Round 1 said:

I have found a pair of Forte for $550. 

"Nice shape. Couple of scuffs on cabinet.Sound great." is the only comment.

Newbie to forum, and utter novice to values and such. It seems like a good deal. I will audition them before purchase.

Any comments would be appreciated.

image.png.5f4807d0c3333a76722d95d1734a7e45.png

Are they 1s or 2s?

550 for 2s would be good, for 1s it's fair

Mark

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JMON said:

I see some damage on the base of one and that's not a very good photo.  Price would depend on condition.

I think $550 would be a fair price. Once you hear them and wipe the stupid smile off your face, you'll think it's a bargain.

As to the damage JMON sees; the cheap remedy would be some wood putty, sand it smooth, then just spray paint the bases black. If you want to go advanced, then you can replace the veneer but remember; these speakers are supposed to be a bargain.

$550 is a bit high from what I've seen for the 1's but they are a great speaker and compared to how much you'd have to spend buying new to even match them yeah, not a bad deal I guess, all depends on how you look at it. Last pair I picked up about a year ago were mint one owner units and I mean like new I paid $50 for the pair, guy had them 20+ years and just decided one day he wanted them gone, I was happy to help him out! 

• Like 2

My OPINION is that Forte I should go for around $400, the Forte II around $500.  My spreadsheet says different.

It has the Forte I at $508 and the Forte II at $482.  That's because in the items I've tracked there are several Forte's that sold for around $650 and few bargains which in IMO tended to skew the prices upward.

OTOH there were bargains to be found with the Forte II, $350, $250, $450 which lowered the average for that model.

As others have noted, when buying older speakers condition is everything, along with the agreement of a willing Buyer and Seller which is truly what sets the price.

1 hour ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Here was a better deal, IMHO.

Agreed, but @A Short Round 1 might not be near Chicago, plus they’re sold.  That sale, IMO, is relevant regarding “market” value, but not controlling on what OP should be willing to pay if the Fortes look and sound good.  There is a value to be placed on propinquity . . . you know, a bird in the hand.

I over paid for my Forte II (700) because I wanted them, and I was tired of waiting for something interesting to show up.  I don't regret it for a second, and I'd do it again :D

What you're willing to sell something for, and what a buyer is willing to pay is the bottom line. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Agreed, but @A Short Round 1 might not be near Chicago, plus they’re sold.  That sale, IMO, is relevant regarding “market” value, but not controlling on what OP should be willing to pay if the Fortes look and sound good.  The is a value to be placed on propinquity . . . you know, a bird in the hand.

Yep, have no idea where the OP is, they are sold and all that stuff. All I was doing is pointing out that there are better deals to be had.

About a year ago I picked up a set of forte II's and Tangent 5000's for $600 for both pairs. Both cabinets were a little rough but not bad. It did take a while to find forte I or II in my area at the time but if you stay at it they will show up at a decent price.  I place the value of $400 for the forte II's and $200 for the T-5000's.

I have paid as little as $200.00 for a set of Forte 1's that were minty...stored away for 10 years in original boxes...saw the boxes in a garage....Went against my wife's wishes and rang the doorbell....The original owner had passed away...his daughter had moved them to the garage to make room the closet for something else....It cost me around $185.00 to have them shipped home.  (sold them to a friend for about what they cost me).....Second was a pair of Forte II's in walnut..I think I paid $300.00 ( wrote about it on forum ...The house of cats story)

Those I still have..... I think the most I have paid is for my latest pair of Quartets ...around $400.00....I love the way they came out.... The $ 700.00 range ...is more inline with Chorus /Chorus II territory....

Deals can be had....just got to take your time....Oh yea ...occasionally go against your wife's wishes.

George

• Like 1

For reference, I owned a couple pairs of Forte Is, both in oiled walnut with black grills.  I sold one pair back around 2013 and the other in 2014.  The first pair I sold for $450 and I thought that was a bit too low so I sold the next pair for $500.  They were not perfect, but were very presentable with only small/minor flaws -- the kind that are only noticeable when you are up close (such as when applying oil).  In both cases, it did take a little while to sell despite being in a large city.