Streaming Preamp DAC

Carlosrs

On 1/7/2018 at 8:43 AM, jjptkd said:

Hello, I'm using an Oppo Sonica DAC with my RF-5's and Sunfire 300x2 and the combination sounds great. The Oppo seems to be very low gain though can really turn up the volume quite a bit compared to my old Sunfire Processor. 

Are you using the balanced outputs? I haven't tried it as a preamp yet, just wondering if there's more gain thru the balanced.

44 minutes ago, wstrickland1 said:

Are you using the balanced outputs? I haven't tried it as a preamp yet, just wondering if there's more gain thru the balanced.

Yes, I was using the balanced inputs to my Sunfire 300x2. This is strange to me as I've run several DAC's over the years, a few were DAC Pre's like this one and never experienced such a low gain to the amplifier. I've been just using it as an input on my Receiver for now and all is good. As soon as I get done building / re-building the few sets of speakers I have on hand will go back to a more "settled" situation and I'll try using the Sonica as a Pre again as that was part of what attracted me to the unit. If it won't work might ditch the amp and stay with the Receiver, it has plenty of power anyway just wanted less in the way processing in the audio chain.