Why not use an Inuke as a main power amp?

wvu80

Why is it that nobody, ever, recommends an Inuke for left/right mains as an external amp, such as the Behringer Inuke 3000? 

The Inuke 3000 w/dsp costs around $300 rated at 315 watts into 8 Ohms, Class D power from 20 Hz to 20 Khz.  They are wildly popular as sub amps but I've never understood why these aren't used as power amps for L/R or as an low frequency amp for L/R bi-amped.

" A built-in crossover switch enables the amp to operate in biamp mode, sending low frequency content to passive subwoofers, while the high frequency output is channeled to full range loudspeakers."

NU3000DSP-large.jpg

Specifications: • Output power (per channel, stereo): 315 watts RMS, 440 watts peak (8 ohms), 680 watts RMS, 880 watts peak (4 ohms), 1040 watts RMS, 1520 watts peak (2 ohms)  • Output power (bridged mono): 1250 watts RMS, 1520 watts peak (8 ohms), 2050 watts RMS, 3000 watts peak (4 ohms) Frequency response: 20 - 20,000 Hz, +0/-1 dB • Distortion: < 0.3% • Damping factor: > 140 @ 8 ohms • Signal-to-noise ratio: > 98 dB • Power supply: 120V, 60 Hz • Dimensions: 3.5" H x 19" W x 9.76" D (89 x 483 x 248 mm) • Weight: 6.8 lbs. (3.1 kg)

https://www.parts-express.com/behringer-nu3000dsp-inuke-3000-watt-power-amplifier-with-dsp--248-6706

Listen to one on your mains then you'll understand.   A lot of the lower level Behringer/Crown/QSC amps just don't sound that good for 2 chanel.   Don't think I'm poo poolng pro amps as I run them on my HT speakers and absolutely love them.  A lot of the cheaper class D amps just dont sound that good for critical listening.

14 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

A lot of the cheaper class D amps just dont sound that good for critical listening.

That makes good common sense.  The specifications technically look good, but you listen to music, not specs.

There is a long thread on Class D amps in the Solid State sub-forum so I thought Class D was the "latest and greatest."  Class A power, A/B, B, Class D, Class H, T amps. 

I can't keep up.

+++

@CECAA850 Carl, thank you for moving this to the Solid State sub-forum, and thank you for your comments on the subject.  For everything I learn it opens up a gap of even more things I don't know.

• Like 1

Try it out and see if you like it. I was using a Samson SX3200 750x2 pro amp to drive my subs and hooked it up to my mains just for the hell of it and was actually surprised by how good it sounded. It will never replace my Sunfire but I actually like the sound better than some amps I've owned and they can be picked up fairly cheap. 

9 hours ago, wvu80 said:

There is a long thread on Class D amps in the Solid State sub-forum so I thought Class D was the "latest and greatest."  Class A power, A/B, B, Class D, Class H, T amps. 

There's more to consider than the topology of the amp.  There's the processing that the signal goes through inside the amp as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/01/2018 at 7:59 PM, wvu80 said:

Why is it that nobody, ever, recommends an Inuke for left/right mains as an external amp, such as the Behringer Inuke 3000? 

The Inuke 3000 w/dsp costs around $300 rated at 315 watts into 8 Ohms, Class D power from 20 Hz to 20 Khz.  They are wildly popular as sub amps but I've never understood why these aren't used as power amps for L/R or as an low frequency amp for L/R bi-amped.

" A built-in crossover switch enables the amp to operate in biamp mode, sending low frequency content to passive subwoofers, while the high frequency output is channeled to full range loudspeakers."

I'll tell you about my personal experience. 

I've always used a Pro amp with my Klipsch. It´s a low power AB Class amp, from a brazilian make, I think you guys doesn't know it. 

amplificador-staner-100s-em-otimo-estado-D_NQ_NP_984229-MLB26505317708_122017-F.jpg

It's a 35WPC amp and it sounds ok for me. Low distortion, low noise, everything ok by the book. 

I aways think those discussion about amplifier sonic signatures are nonsense. Speakers has sonic signatures, not power amps. Right?... 

Two weeks ago I got a Yamaha A-S501 and WOW! What a difference! Even my wife came to me asking about that. She thinks I changed the speakers, not the amp. 

Now, lets back to Behringer. It's not a great amp even at the pro market, they make cheap products. It's a Class D amp, which is hard to sound good at higher frequencies... And I bet high quality speakers like Klipsch will show every weakness from a low grade amp.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Caio Ferrari said:

I'll tell you about my personal experience. 

I've always used a Pro amp with my Klipsch. It´s a low power AB Class amp, from a brazilian make, I think you guys doesn't know it. 

amplificador-staner-100s-em-otimo-estado-D_NQ_NP_984229-MLB26505317708_122017-F.jpg

It's a 35WPC amp and it sounds ok for me. Low distortion, low noise, everything ok by the book. 

I aways think those discussion about amplifier sonic signatures are nonsense. Speakers has sonic signatures, not power amps. Right?... 

Two weeks ago I got a Yamaha A-S501 and WOW! What a difference! Even my wife came to me asking about that. She thinks I changed the speakers, not the amp. 

Now, lets back to Behringer. It's not a great amp even at the pro market, they make cheap products. It's a Class D amp, which is hard to sound good at higher frequencies... And I bet high quality speakers like Klipsch will show every weakness from a low grade amp.  

You may be right as not all Class D amps sound the same. But for sheer NEUTRALITY, POWER, MICRO DETAILS, DYNAMICS, LOW NOISE, ETC. nothing beats my Hypex Class D amps.

I've owned just about all of the others. Tubes and classes alike.

57 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

You may be right as not all Class D amps sound the same. But for sheer NEUTRALITY, POWER, MICRO DETAILS, DYNAMICS, LOW NOISE, ETC. nothing beats my Hypex Class D amps.

I've owned just about all of the others. Tubes and classes alike.

I'm pretty sure we can get excellent results from a Class D amp. There's some HiFi companies designing these and getting great reviews around. It's true Class D is the simplest way to design cheap amps either. And I bet Behringer choose the second way to go!  

19 minutes ago, Caio Ferrari said:

I'm pretty sure we can get excellent results from a Class D amp. There's some HiFi companies designing these and getting great reviews around. It's true Class D is the simplest way to design cheap amps either. And I bet Behringer choose the second way to go!  

Yes, I've read almost all of Bruno Putzey's white papers on all things Hypex. He really knows what he's doing!

4 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

But for sheer NEUTRALITY, POWER, MICRO DETAILS, DYNAMICS, LOW NOISE, ETC. nothing beats my Hypex Class D amps.

What have you got, Claude?  I don't see it included in the equipment listed in your signature.  Do you have a DIY build, or something OEM in a commercially produced amp?

I'm thinking of doing some DIY Class D amps and I don't know anything about them.

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

What have you got, Claude?  I don't see it included in the equipment listed in your signature.  Do you have a DIY build, or something OEM in a commercially produced amp?

I'm thinking of doing some DIY Class D amps and I don't know anything about them.

Hypex NC-400 Mono Blocs. It's in my signature. Look again. For 2.2/6.2=Front L&R, Danley SH-50 horns powered by Hypex NC400 MonoBlocs, CenterFront, SurroundR, SurroundL and CenterRear Sound Physics Labs Unity Summation Apeture horns/TD-1 Powered by Yamaha Pro Natural Sound Class AB amps. Yamaha Pre/Pro CX-A5000. One OThorn and 1 Danley TH-50 Sub Center Front/Center Rear driven by a Crown K2.
Oppo 103 for CD 2.1, HDMI out for 6.1 DVD/Blue Ray. YPAO for all listening.

• Like 1

90% of it is the noise floor.  These class D amps are very dry sounding too, some people like it, call it accuracy I suppose.  Comparatively they're a little boring.  I suppose that is personal preference, but nobody prefers hissing noises when everything is quiet.  A hissy cheap class D amps and uber-efficient Klipsch speakers is not the best combination ever.  

14 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

90% of it is the noise floor.  These class D amps are very dry sounding too, some people like it, call it accuracy I suppose.  Comparatively they're a little boring.  I suppose that is personal preference, but nobody prefers hissing noises when everything is quiet.  A hissy cheap class D amps and uber-efficient Klipsch speakers is not the best combination ever.  

That and the midrange and treble on some of them is terrible.  Very unrealistic.

Based on my experience with a Behringer electronic crossover, i wouldn't buy any of their stuff.  Mine worked well for maaybe 6 uses and then one channel became intermittent.   So, if I have to use it, I put several heavy books on one side of it to get that channel to work.  Cold solder joint, I suppose.