Scored Chorus II + Academy in oiled oak

314carpenter

Always looking for an upgrade path, I traveled 370 miles to get these from the original owner. I responded to his ad within 15 minutes of it posting and left immediately  after convincing him I am the right person to take care of his babies. By the time I arrived @10pm he had received 20 offers, some above his asking price. We did a short demo, traded stories, and I drive home in the middle of the night in snow. 11 hours later here is what I got...

Would anyone on the forum like to chime in on proceeding forward from here. I am using a walnut pair of "full upgraded" Chorus II for fronts, black "fully upgraded" Forte II center sitting horizontally on a black glass shelf, upgraded oak Quartet for surrounds. The finishes work in my space.

My second space is full of walnut  4x JBL L100t3 and a L40T3 for center duty.

I am willing to rotate speakers or trade/sell/buy. Not sure how toshare pics here either, not having used 2mb max uploaders in the past.

Forgot add *fully upgraded = Crites titanium tweeter diagrams, K-53-Ti titanium midrange drivers, Crites bandpass boards + Crites crossover boards. My quartet rears do not have the midrange changes.

Edited by 314carpenter
Forgot to add a definition

I use the Fastone Photo Resizer.  It's a bit clunky but is easy to figure out, is small and works well for individual and batch pics.

http://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDetail.htm

+++

Sorry I can't help you on the rest of your questions.  I'm not sure what you're asking exactly, and I don't know what "fully upgraded" Chorus II's" are.  Are you trying to set up 5.1, 2.0?  I would love to hear the Ch2's sometime. 

I think you got some good speakers.  They look great!

54 minutes ago, Ljk said:

You have ti  and xover mid range upgrade on your chorus II? How do like it compared to stock, been thinking about doing those upgrades to my chorus IIs. 

not trying to do a comparison thread here inside this thread, but since others also like to know, I believe it is an upgrade path suited for those that have tried and loved similar paths with their tweeters. The cost of the midrange upgrade is substantially greater due to the added complexity to the crossover. You can expect similar results in the midrange upgrade as is evident in the tweeter upgrade, and since midrange provides a large quantity of the source material, it is a very important decision to make before any changes are done. The cost can be obviously far more significant when doing multi channel as I have.

1 hour ago, 314carpenter said:

not trying to do a comparison thread here inside this thread, but since others also like to know, I believe it is an upgrade path suited for those that have tried and loved similar paths with their tweeters. The cost of the midrange upgrade is substantially greater due to the added complexity to the crossover. You can expect similar results in the midrange upgrade as is evident in the tweeter upgrade, and since midrange provides a large quantity of the source material, it is a very important decision to make before any changes are done. The cost can be obviously far more significant when doing multi channel as I have.

Thanks for the reply! The cost is a factor(160.00 for ti mid diaphragms)sorry did not mean to step on your thread just looking for some real world experience on this upgrade. Again thanks and I am done.

As far as upgrades lascala's in front would be the next step up. Don't remember if you posted a sub with that set up, if not 2 nice subs might be something to look at/trade for. Size shape of your room and preferrence of music over HT can help with which upgrades to go with. If you decide to a 7.2 some heresy II's or kp 250's would work nice for sides with your speakers. Could trade quartets towards 1 or  2 pair of heresy's II, 250's for a smaller foot print.

Could trade everything for a nice 2 channel set up, lots of ways to go. It would help to know which direction you want to go, 5. or 7. set up, atmos ? Pair of lascala's with a nice sub and a mac!

5 hours ago, 314carpenter said:

Wish I could edit my profile to show who,where,what about myself

Located Fall River, Wisconsin 53932

Go to "profile" from drop down menu under your username/avatar in the upper right hand corner.  From there, click on the "edit profile" button, also in the upper right hand corner but below your username/avatar.

Nice find by the way!

Some people have braced the cab. sealed inside corners and put fill of your choice in the cab. Wal-Mart has small felt pieces you can glue to the inside of the horns to help with resonance. (If you try this spray glue works well) I did try not try the bracing, fill or sealing but I did try the felt idea and it did seem to help some.  Some people have glued a 2.5 oz weight to the raditator to tune it, personal I would get a sub or 2.

Another idea is to roll a piece of paper in a cone shape and put it the horn lens. Did try this but not sure if I was doing it right. If I remember moray James is the expert on this method. 

My system is similar to yours, chorus II, chorus I and I built a chorus center channel. (New kappa C woofer, k 61 mid and k 79 tweeter) For sides I am one kp 250 and one kp 250II, got a good deal on the pair. The center channel has an xover I built with BC parts and seems to be slightly cleaner sounding then my chorus speakers. Only reason I can think it might be cleaner is because of the new BC inductors. Maybe one of the xover guys will step in.

F