Powering the Klipsch RF-7 IIs

Boilermaker86

I was searching OfferUp and came across a Marantz 8003. I’ve never had separates before. Currently I have an Onkyo 805.  I like that the Marantz is supposed to have a warmer sound and this one is ultra2 certified so it should have the thx listening modes in used to.  I figure for 4k I can just pass a separate hdmi to the TV if I ever upgrade my tv to 4k later.  The price doesn’t seem bad, but I have no idea how much a matching Marantz amplifier costs. I currently run 7.1 and no plans for any additional speakes for atmos or anything.  Do you have any recommendations on an amplifier and about how much it will cost for a 7.1 system? 

C3FE41D9-5E9D-4AEE-8041-3D2F2E464D3E.png

78151739-686B-4D6B-BBEC-B7C3F5158EE9.jpeg

Just remember, THX doesn't give you any real benefit.  It's a standard - not a sound format.

Matching amps vary depending on what you're looking for.  I think @MetropolisLakeOutfitters sells Marantz amps, and could probably get you a decent deal on one new.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boilermaker86 said:

The price doesn’t seem bad, but I have no idea how much a matching Marantz amplifier costs.

If this is what you mean by "matching", then here you go.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marmm8077/marantz-mm8077-7-ch-x-150-watts-power-amplifier/1.html

This may be worth a look if you don't have to get a Marantz.

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/ele/d/speaker-craft-bb1235-adcom/6422453044.html

Keep the Adcom GFA-7500 and sell the rest or inquire about just purchasing the 7500.

Better yet, I would be all over this.

https://orlando.craigslist.org/ele/d/anthem-mca50-5-channel-power/6429273888.html

00P0P_7Ae353rerUo_600x450.jpg

Bill

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, willland said:

If this is what you mean by "matching", then here you go.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marmm8077/marantz-mm8077-7-ch-x-150-watts-power-amplifier/1.html

This may be worth a look if you don't have to get a Marantz.

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/ele/d/speaker-craft-bb1235-adcom/6422453044.html

Keep the Adcom GFA-7500 and sell the rest or inquire about just purchasing the 7500.

Better yet, I would be all over this.

https://orlando.craigslist.org/ele/d/anthem-mca50-5-channel-power/6429273888.html

00P0P_7Ae353rerUo_600x450.jpg

Bill

Yes you know me very well. That gives me an idea what the price of a 7 channel Marantz amp is. Also, that anthem looks very nice. I saw an anthem 710 on eBay around 850. I keep bouncing between the Marantz and Anthem. 

1 hour ago, The History Kid said:

Just remember, THX doesn't give you any real benefit.  It's a standard - not a sound format.

Matching amps vary depending on what you're looking for.  I think @MetropolisLakeOutfitters sells Marantz amps, and could probably get you a decent deal on one new.

For the THX, I like the different listening modes you can apply line neural and ultra 2 on top of Dolby and the Hd formats. I’ll def try @MetropolisLakeOutfitters For a price on a new amp. 

Thanks 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, willland said:

As far as the superior amp, I would go with the Anthem all day long.  IMO, that Anthem MCA-50 is a lot of amp for the $$$.  I am even tempted to get it.

Bill

Since I spent a lot on the speakes, what I may do is use the Onkyo as a power source and wait until funds become available to get a dedicated amp. I talked to the guy, real nice. Said we could demo it in my house with my speakers and if I like it with my system I can buy it. 

That anthem looks impressive, and the price looks equally as good.  It gets expensive running a pre/pro, especially with the amount of speakers we run in our systems these days.  A 5 channel can be had at a decent price as you can see with the anthem, but that still leaves you 2 channels to go.  Then you wonder, do I get a large two channel for my fronts to go with the Anthem?  Or do you get a lesser amp for the surrounds.  Either way it's expensive.

A good AVR with preouts is a good option.  Add dedicated power amps as it is economical for you, while using the avr's powered channels to do light duty on the surrounds.

I've never ran a full pre/pro set up.  So far the intrigue hasn't justified me wanting to put out the cash. 

• 2 weeks later...

I did a lot of reading on the Marantz 8003 pre amp. Unfortunately even though it is a year newer than my Onkyo 805, it won’t allow adding post processing to the HD formats when the receiver is decoding it and disables Audyssey. It was a limitation that Onkyo does not have. So I’m not going to pull the trigger on that one.

If I ever upgrade from the Onkyo, maybe it will be the new Marantz 8012. Save up and wait until it drops in price or goes on assessories4less. I like the idea of getting audyssey xt32, dynamic eq, and dual sub outputs. Having 140 wats per channel gives me confidence it will be powerful like the Onkyo. Plus everyone seems to describe Marantz as warm and a good match to Klipsch. 

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 5:22 PM, The History Kid said:

Fwiw, I think the THX ultra II standard had a benefit for those folks that have harder to drive speakers. It allowed folks who don't follow benchmark tests to have confidence that it provided enough current to drive speakers that dipped down to 3.2 Ohms efficiently.  I found that in those AVRs it stated they could drive 4 Ohm speakers all of the way around whereas most AVRs state the opposite in their disclaimers.

5 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Fwiw, I think the THX ultra II standard had a benefit for those folks that have harder to drive speakers. It allowed folks who don't follow benchmark tests to have confidence that it provided enough current to drive speakers that dipped down to 3.2 Ohms efficiently.  I found that in those AVRs it stated they could drive 4 Ohm speakers all of the way around whereas most AVRs state the opposite in their disclaimers.

That's true enough.

But the problem is that a lot of people somehow think that THX is either a format, or somehow superior in sound processing. That's not at all the case and, in fact, is sometimes the opposite.

1 minute ago, The History Kid said:

That's true enough.

But the problem is that a lot of people somehow think that THX is either a format, or somehow superior in sound processing. That's not at all the case and, in fact, is sometimes the opposite.

Agreed. My point is that the THX ultra II criteria was a plus for those of us that had first generation RF-7s. 

• Like 1