AV Receiver Recommendation

mjvolks

I am building a house and the builder is installing 5 CDT-3650 II speakers & R-8SQ for a 5.1 channel surround sound (no choices there). I am looking to buy a receiver to work well with these speakers and provide the appropriate amount of power and read up on the topic, but wanted to confirm my findings. Would these speakers work well with a Denon AVRS530BT? 

I'm looking for a new Atmos ready receiver as well, but so far every model in my price range (I prefer to stay with Pioneer and spend $450 top) that I like more or less has 75-80W per channel rating. My current Pioneer VSX-819 is rated at 110 Watt - 8 Ohm - at 1 kHz - THD 0.05% - 5 channels (surround).

I'm aware that this receiver puts out no more than 65-70W in real world and Ideally I want something with 140w per channel, so it would give me 90-100W. Another "must have" is an ability to set the crossover point for each pair of speakers separately. Something like Denon AVR S730H would fit the bill, but it's only 75W rated... 

There are refurbished Denon x2300 ans x2400, but refurbished part is scaring me a bit...

Any recommendations?

4 hours ago, dimanata2007 said:

There are refurbished Denon x2300 ans x2400, but refurbished part is scaring me a bit...

Any recommendations?

Buy from a reputable refurb dealer, like A4L.  Few if any bad experiences with them, and the warranty is a manufacturer's warranty, not one through a third party.

Many of us buy gear that is used without any warranty. Refurb is just gravy.

13 hours ago, The History Kid said:

Buy from a reputable refurb dealer, like A4L.  Few if any bad experiences with them, and the warranty is a manufacturer's warranty, not one through a third party.

Many of us buy gear that is used without any warranty. Refurb is just gravy.

Well, yes. Unfortunately I know a few ppl that had issues with refurb stuff. I don't know where they bought their equipment, and I'm not saying anything bad about A4L, but dealing with returns, exchanges and customer service even if everything would go smooth is not something that I want to deal with.

A4L refurb gear has a one year warranty not the full mfg warranty if memory serves me.  I believe you have the option to take it to an authorized repair shop instead of sending it back.  I looked before buying and have an auth dealer within 20 miles so that works for me.

I have bought an AVR and an amplifier on different occasions from them and couldn't be happier. 

Remember that someone bought a "new" one and had to return it for whatever reason for it to be fixed and refurbished and re-sold.  So there is a chance that a new one could have issue too, and the same headache, but you paid 40% more.

13 hours ago, 7heavenlyplaces said:

"...but refurbished part is scaring me a bit..."

As well it should!  

Shipping costs to return refurb product which  doesn't work right can represent a significant loss 😭!  Just learned the hard way with A4L...double check B4 you buy the return costs because you may well have to eat them, or keep a bad product😬. New or known-to-be-good-used is the only way to go for me after that.

Ha, I though all returns are free. 

That's why I like to buy locally and new: 30-90 days return and I don't have to deal with shipping.

ok. I spent a few hrs yesterday researching a few newer Pioneer Elites LX302 and LX501 and found nothing on setting the crossover point. Based on e-manuals I've seen MCACC should set everything, but there is nothing about setting it manually.Can one one clear that for me? Can set XO to 40/60/80/120 or something like that manually for each speaker or each pair of speakers manually?

34 minutes ago, dimanata2007 said:

ok. I spent a few hrs yesterday researching a few newer Pioneer Elites LX302 and LX501 and found nothing on setting the crossover point. Based on e-manuals I've seen MCACC should set everything, but there is nothing about setting it manually.

Can one one clear that for me? Can set XO to 40/60/80/120 or something like that manually for each speaker or each pair of speakers manually?

I'm not familiar with the Pio's but it is absolutely ordinary to be able to set the XO's manually.  That setting is in there somewhere, probably next to the MCACC settings in the on-screen menu.

I always go back to the Audyssey settings from my Onk 717 and Marantz 6011 AVR's because every time I mess with the settings things sound worse.  Audyssey always restores order.

4 hours ago, dimanata2007 said:

ok. I spent a few hrs yesterday researching a few newer Pioneer Elites LX302 and LX501 and found nothing on setting the crossover point. Based on e-manuals I've seen MCACC should set everything, but there is nothing about setting it manually.Can one one clear that for me? Can set XO to 40/60/80/120 or something like that manually for each speaker or each pair of speakers manually?

I have the LX501 and no, you can't do that.  There is one crossover setting and it applies to all speakers.  50, 80, 100, 150 and 200Hz.  There are eq settings that can be applied to each speaker individually.  7 band I think.

Also if you set the front main speakers to small all others can only be set to small.

I'm not sure but if you step up to the LX701 or higher they may have that capability.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2018 at 5:13 PM, mjvolks said:

I am building a house and the builder is installing 5 CDT-3650 II speakers & R-8SQ for a 5.1 channel surround sound (no choices there). I am looking to buy a receiver to work well with these speakers and provide the appropriate amount of power and read up on the topic, but wanted to confirm my findings. Would these speakers work well with a Denon AVRS530BT? 

Hi, mj,

Have an idea that may appeal. Just sent you a PM.

22 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

I have the LX501 and no, you can't do that.  There is one crossover setting and it applies to all speakers.  50, 80, 100, 150 and 200Hz.  There are eq settings that can be applied to each speaker individually.  7 band I think.

Also if you set the front main speakers to small all others can only be set to small.

I'm not sure but if you step up to the LX701 or higher they may have that capability.

Thanks a lot. The LX501 is already above my budget and LX701 at least $200-300 more,  so I guess Pioneer is off my list...