General question on R15M

WillyBob

Hi all,

So, I decided it was time to upgrade my old speakers. I realize these are entry level Klipsch. They are vastly better than what they replaced. I have hooked to a Sony STR DG500. These are wired as fronts for now. Looking at a pair of R160M next

I have several questions

1] Rear ported. Is there a minimum or more precisely an optimum distance to place them from a wall?

2] Related to #1. Would speaker stands be better?

3]  is there a recommended sub woofer crossover frequency?

thank you

WillyBob

Generally speaking you'll want your main speakers to be ear level when seated.  For rear ported speakers start approximately the width of the port from the rear wall and experiment from there.

80Hz is the typical crossover point for most setups.

Hi all,
So, I decided it was time to upgrade my old speakers. I realize these are entry level Klipsch. They are vastly better than what they replaced. I have hooked to a Sony STR DG500. These are wired as fronts for now. Looking at a pair of R160M next
I have several questions
1] Rear ported. Is there a minimum or more precisely an optimum distance to place them from a wall?
2] Related to #1. Would speaker stands be better?
3]  is there a recommended sub woofer crossover frequency?

thank you
WillyBob

60hz worked well for me. The R-15m are great speakers for the price. Neutral sounding and excellent imaging. The RP series is a lot better though, especially when pushed louder . The 160m has a lot of headroom, and easily reaches 35hz in room with no distortion at high volume.

Just give the speakers at least 3-6” from the wall.

thanks for the quick responses.

I am quite impressed with these little speakers. Bought them online, w/o hearing them. Nearest dealer is 60 miles away

How do the 160's compare to the less sophisticated floor speakers?   Cerametallic vs IMG Titanium vs aluminum .... I am not an audiophile. How far up the ladder can I go before I need a keen ear to tell differences?

thanks again

I won't pretend to not be new to high end audio

could you kind folks recommend a center, compatible with 160's as fronts, R15m as rear.  without breaking the bank. My sub is junk, too.

Is my receiver up to it, or should it go bye bye?

Edited by WillyBob

thnx

the spec show a significant difference.

I have heard about "breaking in"  speakers. Something I should be concerned with? These R15m's have a pretty full sound. I have tone controls set flat. The room is quite "alive". 12 X 25. Wood floor. Spartan furniture and no draperies. Wood wall covering, also. Beam ceiling. We sit on the floor, in front of the fireplace.

27 minutes ago, JefDC said:

You can hear the difference between Cerametalic and IMG clearly.

I have modified my R-26FA's from IMG to Cerametallic after hearing the difference with my R-160M's.

do you folks commonly "mod" speakers?

I used to play R/C helicopters. Not uncommon to upgrade parts.