Chorus ii - Replacing passive radiator

Monkeybuddy

Btw, whereabouts are you located? I'd love to run some comparison curves between the KD-15 and KD-16.

Also, I just realized I have a spare KD-16 sitting around collecting dust. Only one of my passives broke, but the other is totally fine.

Wow! I'm so glad i checked this thread! I have 1 passive radiator on my Chorus II that has a massive tear that was re-glued by previous owner, 1 small poked hole thats still there and crayon markings from a child.   Those new passives with the PWK logo look amazing! Anyone find the price? (missed the post with price. Awesome price! I was being charged $60 for a single re-cone by a local guy.)

UPDATE:

Package arrived.  Took about 5 business days UPS Ground from Arkansas to Florida (weather delay en route).  

Fit:  Very snug, but didn't require unreasonable force to place it in location. Just an observation -  If I were nit picking, once screwed in, I notice the lip is not completely flush with the cabinet on one half.  They were tightened progressively in a star pattern.  That said, it's a non-issue and I'm not nit picking here.

Sound:  Significant improvement in bass clarity and presence. You can "feel the air move".  It has balanced the sound and I am very pleased with results.  Tight bass makes me wonder if they need time to break in, or if it's just a speaker placement/location issue - I installed and tested them in a smallish room.  Again, just an observation.

Summary:  i love what i am now hearing.  I can't pinpoint any flaws or weaknesses in sound, though my experience in audio is limited.  Id have to hear another set of Chorus ii's to have a reference, but compared to my KG4s, Precence and Effortless are the most notable differences.  If you're needing to replace your C-ii passives, I wouldn't hesitate to order the KD-15.  Glad I went this route, thankful it worked out great and grateful to community for their input!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, DrWho said:

Btw, whereabouts are you located? I'd love to run some comparison curves between the KD-15 and KD-16.

Also, I just realized I have a spare KD-16 sitting around collecting dust. Only one of my passives broke, but the other is totally fine.

Im in Orlando, FL.  Let me know if I can help.

2 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

Wow! I'm so glad i checked this thread! I have 1 passive radiator on my Chorus II that has a massive tear that was re-glued by previous owner, 1 small poked hole thats still there and crayon markings from a child.   Those new passives with the PWK logo look amazing! Anyone find the price? (missed the post with price. Awesome price! I was being charged $60 for a single re-cone by a local guy.)

Haha yeah, if I could go back and re-title this thread, I would.

Not sure how the Kd-15 and -16 compare, but I had to replace both so if there is a discrepancy, I wouldnt be able to tell.  I just feel fortunate that this option was available.

2 minutes ago, Monkeybuddy said:

Haha yeah, if I could go back and re-title this thread, I would.

Not sure how the Kd-15 and -16 compare, but I had to replace both so if there is a discrepancy, I wouldnt be able to tell.  I just feel fortunate that this option was available.

Thanks! I'm going to do this tomorrow! So i just ask for a pair of the new KD-15's and that's that? Don't need to verify that i am a Forte III owner or anything like that? I always assumed for new speaker parts, you have to verify you're an owner of that speaker. 

BTW does it come with hardware?

17 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

Thanks! I'm going to do this tomorrow! So i just ask for a pair of the new KD-15's and that's that? Don't need to verify that i am a Forte III owner or anything like that? I always assumed for new speaker parts, you have to verify you're an owner of that speaker. 

BTW does it come with hardware?

It did not come with any hardware.

Ordering requires calling, I have the internal part number on a previous post in this thread but it's not required.  They will verify that it's a 15" passive for a Forte iii, to which I just replied: "yeah, sure".  Easy peasy.  Maybe call early to avoid a long wait.

good luck!

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
On 12/27/2020 at 12:28 AM, bruce hesterly said:

i need a passives radiator for my chorus2. do anyone know where i can get one 

The klipsch Parts dept  has the cheapest price for the original parts for the  Chorus II- 15 inch passive radiator , you can contact them via email -

On 12/26/2020 at 11:28 PM, bruce hesterly said:

i need a passives radiator for my chorus2. do anyone know where i can get one 

you can buy the forte3 ones mentioned above from klipsch. 

but if you want the correct looking passive for your chorus2, which are cosmetically different than the forte3 above, you can have a company like simply speakers recone yours with the correct looking material or buy the kit & do it yourself.  if you want/need a complete chorus2 passive assembly then need to find a used one, check ebay or place a wanted ad on here.  

• 4 months later...

update for this thread regarding using a F3 kd15 passive in a ch2 speaker:

it has recently been confirmed the F3 passive is not correct for a chorus 2, it is weighted different & will change the tune/freq response of the speaker, maybe not by too much but if anyone cares about having the correct parts in their chorus2 speakers, dont buy a F3 passive, look for OEM used or have simply speakers re-cone yours, will be a lot closer to correct than a F3 passive,  klipsch parts dept actually refers you to simply speakers for this service. 

it may be possible to add some weight like the @moray james mod to the F3 passive if we could get klipsch or someone to disclose the weigh differences between the 2, but until then the F3 is not correct.  hope that helps any future readers of this thread & members that have bought the F3 based on the erroneous info provided in this thread.  

@absolve2525 @Maximus89 @Monkeybuddy

• Like 1

23 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

it may be possible to add some weight like the @moray james mod to the F3 passive if we could get klipsch or someone to disclose the weigh differences between the 2, but until then the F3 is not correct.  hope that helps any future readers of this thread & members that have bought the F3 based on the erroneous info provided in this thread.  

@absolve2525 @Maximus89 @Monkeybuddy

What was the mod and is it somewhere in the technical section?

Edited by tickertape

1 hour ago, tickertape said:

What was the mod and is it somewhere in the technical section?

the "mod" he talks about is to add some weight to the passive to lower the tuning freq of any given speaker. usually about 2oz i think is the amount. 

what im suggesting is that if the F3's kd15 is the same as the kd16 except for the weight, then an easy remedy would be to just add the right amount of weight to the kd15 to make it the correct weight for the chorus2.  seems like a very simple way to make the F3 passive work right in a chorus 2, im actually surprised this was never mentioned or offered as a solution after being told the kd15 is not  the correct specs for the ch2... 

now if we could just get klipsch or one of their engineers to let us know the weights of the passives... or maybe a member that has removed & weighed the weights on these 2 passives?  

or confirmation if the chorus passive is actually available from klipsch as was stated in that thread.... :unsure:

how exactly is a kd15 different from a kd16 besides the weight?  they look to have the same cone & surrounds.  do you have specific knowledge of this & could let us know or is it just a guess?? 

• Klipsch Employees
3 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

how exactly is a kd15 different from a kd16 besides the weight?  they look to have the same cone & surrounds.  do you have specific knowledge of this & could let us know or is it just a guess?? 

You are correct. Same drone. Different weight. 

14 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

You are correct. Same drone. Different weight. 

thanks for the reply.  would it be possible to get the specs on the weights of the 2 passives in question?  would help many others out there that need passives for their ch2 speakers that could just simply add the right amount of weight to the F3 kd15 to make it work right for the ch2. 

or can you confirm if the chorus 2 passive is available to buy from klipsch as you stated in the other thread?  if its available that would be great & must be something very new because klipsch parts dept has stated recently that these are not avialable.  just trying to get a definitive answer for this.  

23 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

this is not a 1 size fits all , add weights , subtract weights , both parts are very different  /parameters /cone material /spider etc - 

Contact klipsch parts ------they could advise you -

there ya go randy...  :rolleyes: