Speaker wire jacket with 3 pairs of wire

vasubandu

14 hours ago, wvu80 said:

If you want to think outside the box, you could use Cat6 network cable.  It's four pair of UTP unshielded twisted pair, in solid copper.  The twisted pair reduces cross talk.  The size is 23 awg, small by speaker standards.  I don't know what difference the sold copper wire would make, if it would conduct better than a lot of little copper strands.

Not the way you show it used for speaker wire. Balanced connections (as in a twisted pair), feed into differential inputs.

I agree with Carl on using CL2/CL3 rated wire.

Bruce

Thanks @JohnA I have learned that. The answer to my question turned out to be "speaker snakes" because once I figured that out  it all became clear.  And then I reconfigured the room so I would not need them anyway.  So for me rule one is try not to need to pull wire. I did find a lot of great speaker snake though.

On 1/8/2018 at 10:57 PM, USNRET said:

That would be my only worry as well Carl although all of the cardboard stereo boxes in my attic may be a more realistic concern.
Side note: I found out during an air conditioner install that my county 1) requires the A/C pad to be hurricane rated (the difference being it has a sticker on it and 2) replacing a toilet requires a $75 permit ...uh, last time I bought a toilet at a big box store they didn't require me to present a permit so how the heck would I know that. The inspector thought both were foolish.

Back to the regular program of the OP's question

They probably don't require a permit to buy it, just to install it.

• 4 months later...
On 1/8/2018 at 8:00 PM, vasubandu said:

I am still new but slowly catching on.  I need to run some speaker wire through a conduit in my wall, and I am going to have space constraints.  Monoprice has a speaker wire with 2 pairs of wire in a single jacket.  I would like to find one with 3 pairs, but I wonder about interference or other problems.  Any enlightenment?

Used the 14 gauge 4-wire conductor for a front to rear (wall/attic/wall) runs and very satisfied. https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023902&p_id=2817&seq=1&format=2 .  Was looking for some speaker wire for myself so looked for "3 pair wire" also.  No luck.  Since you need "3 pair," maybe run double "2 pair" in case you want to add a subwoofer next month :D 

Cheers, Emile

Oops ... just saw the thread was from January and sure you already installed it. Also saw some good advise. Sorry; will check the "date" in the future :D 

Edited by Emile
add on

18 hours ago, Emile said:

Used the 14 gauge 4-wire conductor for a front to rear (wall/attic/wall) runs and very satisfied. https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023902&p_id=2817&seq=1&format=2 .  Was looking for some speaker wire for myself so looked for "3 pair wire" also.  No luck.  Since you need "3 pair," maybe run double "2 pair" in case you want to add a subwoofer next month :D 

Cheers, Emile

Oops ... just saw the thread was from January and sure you already installed it. Also saw some good advise. Sorry; will check the "date" in the future :D 

I was looking at that same wire in 18ga for a security system.  It is about the sam price as Belden wire if you can find a Monoproce coupon.  Does anyone have a source for a good quality 22 ga wire?  I need 2 wire and 4 wire spools. 

• Like 1

I have used Beldin and Mogami quite a bit to build interconnects. 

I was researching alarm systems and there is cheap wire out there, but I am running a lot of wire, so I do not want to have cheap wire that might fail.  It turns out that Moser is less expensive than other sites, even though the Beldin wire is quite a bit more than the cheap wire. 

On 1/13/2018 at 9:54 AM, JohnA said:

Cat 5e speaker wire.  11 ga equivalent. 

5948229c2fb43_BraidedCAT5.thumb.jpg.d6cfea7bcb6e5624728895f5f52d9a61.jpg

If you are having to pull wire, pull one more pair than you need now, for future expansion.  Subwoofers in the back of the room are nice to have. 

How many CAT5 wires did you use to make this?  I have 12 100' CAT 5 spools that I will not be using. 

It looks like 6 wires, or 24 individual wires per side, equals 10 ga

https://www.wirebarn.com/Combined-Wire-Gauge-Calculator_ep_42.html