Xover Build

lucky5115

Just started to build new crossovers for my Cornscalas. Some parts just laid out on board for placement purposes.

After much research.. I narrowed it down to these caps which have all been matched to values and pairs.

The board is 9x16.. Caps are the size of grenades..

Erse Super Q inductors

ClarityCap CSA           low

Mundorf Supreme     mid/high

Jupiter VT                  mid/high

'Ill post as things progress.  2 beer job so far..

Ron

Crossover.jpg

10 hours ago, lucky5115 said:

Just started to build new crossovers for my Cornscalas.

'Ill post as things progress.  2 beer job so far..

Ron

Very nice, looks like some high end stuff there! What drivers will you be using in the Cornscalas and at what crossover points if you don't mind sharing?

11 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Very nice, looks like some high end stuff there! What drivers will you be using in the Cornscalas and at what crossover points if you don't mind sharing?

Bob's cast frame woofers, Dave's Cornwall Fastrac horn with K-51-V and Bob's CT120-DE120, Cutover 400-500 / 5800-6k.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

• 4 weeks later...

Dean,  a good idea and I'm gonna look into that. BTW, I left all the cap leads original length and worked around it in case changes were needed or if I part it out in the future. I bent the gold plated  spade connector mounts into L shape so the leads just push right in, easy solder install and removal, no more hassle of having to wind leads on a mount peg.

Ran into a odd issue during testing..the fix... clean the taps on the autoformer. All the taps on the AF were covered with that enamelish coating used on the windings. Whether the AF was sprayed or dipped, dunno, it was hard to detect as it's clearish. To the plain eye the taps looked fine however..The symptom was a flat, kinda like speaking through a towel sound. 

Do quality parts make a difference(especially caps)?.. oh hell yes! And another..was it worth using a Erse superQ and better quality cap on the woof filter? oh hell yes! The bass will give you a nice tight punch to the chest. Thought I'd share info. more to follow.. Isn't this what part of the forum is about? To share and help each other out\\

Done rambling.. time for chow.    

• 2 weeks later...