BFD DSP1124P vs miniDSP in 2018?

Thaddeus Smith

I bought the behringer device from the title about 6 years ago, with the intent of using it on my cinema f-20 sub, but the whole process was way over my head. Now I've got 3 subs (two of which are acting as one) and I'm looking to do some DSP work now and curious if it's worth buying the minidsp 2x4 and suitable plugin or just sticking with what I already have.

my AVR has audyssey XT32 with sub eq and two sub preouts.

i have two qsc plx1202 amps to drive the three subs.

one sub preout is routed to 1 qsc plx channel for the f-20.

one sub preout is routed to the other qsc plx using parallel mode so that both channels receive the same signal, but operate independently from a power perspective, for the two spuds. they're physically located next to each other, so I have them gain matched and essentially acting as one.

the BFD can be autoconfigured from REW using a usb>midi adapter and the minidsp can be autoconfigured via usb.

Most of the google results are quite old, so I figured I would poll this group before going out and buying something new.

50 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Nod. It's evident I need some room treatments as well, eh?

That will help with mids and highs.  Less reflected sound will clean things up.  Put them at first reflection points to start and ALWAYS re-run your room correction software after every change you make to the room.

• 2 weeks later...

The MiniDSP should give you flexibility in sub location in regards to the two being treated as one. With your current setup, you're limited to co-locating them, or having to be equidistant to your listening position. The MiniDSP can time align the two freeing them from the aforementioned restrictions, and give you more control over room response of the three subs. I'm not sure however if the BFD is capable of the same thing. I have a MiniDSP and it was fairly simple to set up.

Edited by catman0122