Subwoofers are hard.

vasubandu

Well not that hard, but they sure can be confusing. My SVS PB2 Plus has 2 RCA in, and the receivers I have around all have one RCA out.  I have read that you can get 3-6 db more by connecting to both jacks, but who knows.  I assume that there is absolutely no left-right to a subwoofer.  It is all one thing.  

SO here is my real issue. The receivers I am looking at have 2 subwoofer out jacks, which seems like it would be a perfect match for my PB2, but I am running wires in the walls and plan to have a wall plate.  Wall plates do not come with 2 rca jacks for a subwoofer. So I have a one-jack pinch point in the line.  

Do I run a reverse splitter from the receiver (2) to the plate (1) and then run a splitter from the plate (1) to the subwoofer?

Do I just run a single mono connection from the receiver to plate and then run a splitter from the plate to the subwoofer?

Do I just make the whole thing mono with one RCA jack?

Or do I just skip the plate and run the cable from the receiver to the subwoofer?

I would assume that these possibilities would have performance implications, but I sure cannot find anything on them.

Just run a "Y" splitter to the sub, that's what most people do I believe. 

This is just an example of what I'm talking about, lots of brands and choices to choose from:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Monster-Cable-XLN-Advanced-Performance-Y-Audio-Adapter-2-Male-to-1-Female/361386310068?epid=1800924292&hash=item54244d79b4:g:PiYAAOSwiLdV~D5r:sc:USPSFirstClass!98028!US!-1

6 hours ago, vasubandu said:

Do I just run a single mono connection from the receiver to plate and then run a splitter from the plate to the subwoofer?

Yes, run a single cable to the sub and split the cable using the "Y" adapter at the sub. Sub outputs via Receivers are mono anyway the extra input boosts the signal to the sub.

Run a single cable to the sub.  Only use a Y if your signal from the receiver isn't hot enough or won't turn the sub on automatically. Running a Y at the sub is the same as turning your subwoofer output up in your receiver. It won'  make your sub more powerful or increase its max output. 

• Like 2

`Thanks everyone, that was helpful.  So if I am understanding things, running 2 wires from the receiver will increase the volume, but not the maximum volume (turns the volume up but does not change anything).  I guess that makes sense.  If you could increase maximum volume that easily, everyone would do it.

I think that I have solved my problems in a different way.  When we remodeled the basement, my contractor built a wonderful built-in AV cabinet for me.  The wood downstairs is all Lyptus, which is gorgeous anyway.  The AV cabinet is on wheels so it can be pulled out to get behind it.  I was going to run the wires from it all the way around the room.  But I decided why not just bring the cabinet to the speakers (isn't that a saying?).  I have to cut the edge off the bottom from to get it under a duct, but this makes so much more sense.

This is it in its proper place and released. Then all I need is to run one speaker wire back to the original location, which is right next to the right surround.  Suddenly, life is very easy.  Except that my room is a disaster zone.  That happen to you guys?

IMG_20171227_100614.jpg

Up.jpg

• Moderators
2 hours ago, vasubandu said:

So if I am understanding things, running 2 wires from the receiver will increase the volume, but not the maximum volume (turns the volume up but does not change anything).

No need to run 2 wires, just a Y splitter on the end of a single wire does the same thing.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Run a single cable to the sub.  Only use a Y if your signal from the receiver isn't hot enough or won't turn the sub on automatically. Running a Y at the sub is the same as turning your subwoofer output up in your receiver. It won'  make your sub more powerful or increase its max output. 

listen to this gent above all.  he has 30k posts and moderates this forum

he helped me build some of my subs and knows a lot

• Like 1

Boosting the input side is just doing that, not adding any more power or "unlocking"  anything hidden that Im aware of.  It will immediately be a few db louder, but once you calibrate, it will be right back where it was.  I think SVS even posted where there was no gain to be had splitting a single mono source, but that has been almost 15 years ago or so maybe? Anyway, I can tell you that that sub will give consistent 115-120 db hits way down there at around 8 feet off, with one cable hooked to it, just pick left or right :D

3 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

I want stereo subs.  Left and right. Seems like it should be possible.

Sorry, I should have read your post more thoroughly.  I would find the ideal placement for each sub and try splitting your single mono source to both subs with your current setup. Then try both sub outs with two cables when you get your new AVR.  Wall plates look good, but I wouldn't let them steer me or cause more hassle than what they are worth. A single holed wall blank with an RCA cable coming out of it still can't be seen if a sub is front of it. Besides, they blend in and match the power outlets, network jacks, telephone jacks, etc   You can't beat a single wire connection.  Walls plates, multiple splices here and there, even with proper connectors.... next thing you know you have a ground hum you're trying to track down.    

7 hours ago, vasubandu said:

I want stereo subs.  Left and right. Seems like it should be possible.

You can have "dual" subs but not true "stereo" subs through the LFE output on your Receiver. That output signal is mono but can be split with adapters, there's an opposite adapter to the one I posted which is 1 male to 2 female which can plug into the receiver so you can run two sub cables to different locations.

y1m2f.jpg

1 hour ago, jjptkd said:

That output signal is mono but can be split with adapters, there's an opposite adapter to the one I posted which is 1 male to 2 female which can plug into the receiver so you can run two sub cables to different locations.

You can do that or daisy chain the subs as long as there's a sub out jack on the plate amp which most have.  That way you only need to run one cable through the wall.  Or..........you could Y after the cable enters the room.  One wall cable that way as well.

@jjptkd and @CECAA850 you missed my wish.  I want a receiver that sends different signals to left and right.  I have to assume that the left and right signals include the information in subwoofer territory. So just imagine a car crash, but it is on the left side of the screen.  Left Subwoofer goes BOOM and a second later, the right one picks up the echo with a boom.  The sound may be omnidirectional, but that does not mean we can't tell where it is coming from.

While I am at it, I want a subwoofer that goes up to 300 Hz and works great at that level.  So it would actually produce sound as well, but with a 15 inch plus woofer.  And since it would be right or left, it would just supplement my mains.  

And yes, I am just being silly, but I do wonder about these things.  I need to learn more about how sound works, and I will.  When my speaker brand comes out, you all get free ones.

2 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

I want a receiver that sends different signals to left and right.

I don't believe there's L and R subwoofer info on any of the current discs out there.  A receiver would need that info to send to the different channels.

If your subs are set up correctly you really shouldn't be able to tell where they are.  My sub is located near my ceiling and when you're listening to it, the bass seems to be coming from the speakers at ground level.

@CECAA850 Oh, so the subwoofer is a different channel so to speak? I had assumed that the information would have been included in left and right for people who did not have subwoofer.  Even if was included in a separate channel, wouldn't we want all the information in the mains so that they would go as low as they could?

While I am thinking about it, my sub (SVS PB2 Plus has both RCA jacks and speaker connections. It has different inputs for left and right. If I ran 2 wires from left and right out, one to the speaker and one to the sub, I wonder what would happen.  I will have to try that as soon as I get things put together again.  Anyone else know?  The guy at SVS said to just use the RCA.

4 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

@CECAA850 Oh, so the subwoofer is a different channel so to speak? I had assumed that the information would have been included in left and right for people who did not have subwoofer.  Even if was included in a separate channel, wouldn't we want all the information in the mains so that they would go as low as they could?

While I am thinking about it, my sub (SVS PB2 Plus has both RCA jacks and speaker connections. It has different inputs for left and right. If I ran 2 wires from left and right out, one to the speaker and one to the sub, I wonder what would happen.  I will have to try that as soon as I get things put together again.  Anyone else know?  The guy at SVS said to just use the RCA.

When you see a disc or track labeled as 5.1, the .1 channel is the LFE channel.  Normally your receiver will put the LFE track and everything below your crossover point on the Sub Out jack of your receiver.

Listen to the guys at SVS.