JBL 4648- MBM, Bass section for 2way or flanking sub

artinaz

Are you looking for the elusive chest slam or for the bass section for your 2-way (or 3-way) or just add warmth and clarity to vocals? Then you need the jbl drivers that I am selling :) I have a pair of the JBL 4648- dual 15” woofer in each cabinet. Selling for 500$. Located in SF Bay Area.

i-L67F2SR-M.jpg

A word about the drivers first. The JBL 2226 woofer is one of JBL’s popular drivers, used in many of its current and older products. Very versatile, and great value for money- I liked them so much i have 6 of them in my media room currently. Wayne Parham offers the 2226 as an woofer upgrade option for his popular pi speakers.   You can use them as a sub, MBM or the woofer section in a 2-way build. Noted for its warm and detailed midrange, can be used from 25-1200hz and can handle till 600W. Lots of reviews and comparisons on the web, very popular with the mbm (mid bass module) and the diy speaker builders. Its fairly efficient at 97 db. Below is the raw driver response for a single 2226 in an enclosure- with the two in the cabinet you will better low end coverage and more SPL- it will also take care of some of the room modes. The inroom response below is for the dual woofer after eq with 1/6 smoothing. 

i-gHJ6cGG-M.png
i-3szqHch-M.png

IMHO, most home theaters suffer in the <200hz region. With all the attention on subwoofers, the lower region <20hz gets a lot of attention these days. However the lack of mid bass (50-200) is still a rampant problem because of room modes and inadequate speakers. I have a dedicated room with room treatments and while the higher and lower end were taken care of- i could never get the chest thump to work. Initially I went with the quarter pies- its a diy mid bass horn, very articulate and lots of power to punch you in the gut. But it was too big (48” radius, quarter of a circle). These JBLs were the speakers that finally got the bass working for me. I am running them with just 200w in my room 16X11X10 and they can easily hit 110 and deliver that super clean body punch. You can use them vertically or horizontally (like the JBL everest). The horizontal config reduces floor bounce but you get a null from the dual woofers.

So, if you just want the chest slam effect run these from 40-100 first order crossover and it will get you there. or you can use them in a 2-way. I was using my other 2226 crossed over to a horn at 1200 for a diy 2way. Another interesting use is as flanking subs (Wayne Parham’s idea). Wayne’s assertion is that the 80-200 region can be improved by using multiple sources, however they need to be closer to the mains. If used this way, you would drive your mains full range and use each cabinet rolled off with first order crossover around 100-150. Also you would be running them as a stereo pair. 

Each cabinet houses 2 of the 15”. So essentially you are getting 4 of these beauties plus the enclosures. . The drivers sell for about 120 up on ebay.

Link to JBL spec document for 4648
Link to JBl 2226 driver specs
3 way woofer comparison
Using JBL 2226 as an MBM

Edited by artinaz
Clarified that it includes the enclosure too

11 hours ago, JohnA said:

2226H is a good candidate for a Heritage bass horn, esp. Belle and La Scala.  

This woofer is used in Wayne Parham's 4pi two-way, crossed at ~ 1kHz to a B&C DE250 on his h290 horn. As I understand, it's performance is very well regarded, and not inexpensive on the used market.

• 1 month later...