Identifying 12AX7 tube specifics

easyone

Hello all, I am starting to go through all my tubes and would like to get better at identifying tubes more specifically. Things like plate and getter types. 

As an example I am looking at 2 RCA 12ax7 tubes and do not know much more than that. Could someone please help me understand a few of the things that are identifiable with my eyes - and a magnifying glass. As far as the getter types - am I supposed to look at the plate on top? If so, it can be difficult to see them because of the grey frosted glass in the tops of the tubes.

I will post a few pics and hopefully the pics show enough info for a quick lesson. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

The tubes look to have black plates. The camera flash or open aperture makes some of the pics look like the plates are grey.

5a555b48814c0_rca12ax707.thumb.jpg.6dc2f5d926597eb1242071a7aabdeb87.jpg5a555b3b6bb70_rca12ax704.thumb.jpg.e6e4d941d4f7dd7d0bd8c880f86fad29.jpg5a555b2dd4350_rca12ax701.thumb.jpg.8cb57748e93757f21c38efa2999b79cb.jpg

I would say its a ribbed long plate with a square getter.  I have a number of RCA 12AX7 's that have a short plate and a halo getter. I dont know enough about them to know when either of those were made or if one is considered better than the other!

IMG_0184.jpg

1 hour ago, joshnich said:

I would say its a ribbed long plate with a square getter.  I have a number of RCA 12AX7 's that have a short plate and a halo getter. I dont know enough about them to know when either of those were made or if one is considered better than the other!

IMG_0184.jpg

Thanks for the input. I would guess long plate also based on pictures I found on tube seller websites, but I do not know for a fact they are long plate. 

• 3 weeks later...