Electron trouble

vasubandu

4 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

@CECAA850 No I have not.  I would absolutely love to, but have not had the opportunity.  Things like that fascinate me.  When I was in college I finally wormed my way into the extreme low temperature physics lab, and that might be similar.  Suddenly everything that is normal wasn't.  Got one?  I'll come visit.

If you go to the gathering in May you'll have the opportunity.

@DrWho I was into this on some level about 12 years ago when I acquired my Paradigm Millenia speakers, but I never got deep enough to understand much of the theory.  I started to become interested again about six months ago, and everything was new to me.  Oddly enough, it started with seeing that you can get 4K 65 inch TVs for $500 if you know where to look.  We have a 60- inch 1080p plasma that still works fine, but when I asked the kids if we should go bigger, they bounced off the walls and said of course.  And that led to a dive into the world of OLED, QLED and whatever else.  I also discovered that they make those up to 86 inches, which can be had for around $2,500.  That is for a 2017 LG model, but LG does not make the best LED TVs.  

And that led to references to Atmos, and before you knew it, I was all over speakers again.  But my focus was on skinny speakers, preferably thin.  I was all focused on the Definitive XTR series that are on-wall and 1.5 inches deep. But I kept seeing klipsch speakers, and to be honest, I just liked the way they looked.  I found this place through the Klipsch site, and I went to plenty of others for manufacturers and just audio sites.  

I posted a general question here, and several people jumped in to offer some advice.  @jjptkd and @Youthman come to mind off the top of my head, but there were many. And they laughed at my puny definitive wall stickers.  So I figured that they would tell me I needed an RP-280F or RP260F, but before I knew it, we were taking a trip back to last century and looking at RF-7 RC-7 and and-7.  And that is really when I got serious about all this.  

Of all the forums that I visited this one is unique.  I don't see people insulting each other over differences of opinion or when people are wrong about something, and everyone seems to enjoy listening to music or movies, not just technically perfect systems.  I still don't know whether Klipsch or RF-7s are better than something else I could get, bt if there is a difference, it is smaller than something I would notice or care about.  I know that I can have fun here and learn what I need to know without being told I am stupid, and that means a lot.

Once I get the home theater done, I really want to look into planar speakers for music.  It just seems wrong that they would work.  

• Moderators
On January 10, 2018 at 12:32 PM, dwilawyer said:

But we determined in that case you wired the additional piece in backwards.

Did you ever fix that problem?

Nope, I seem to be more comfortable with something a little off all the time, it scares me if everything is as it should be.  :huh:

• Like 1

• Moderators
18 hours ago, vasubandu said:

Fortunately, I don't have problems.  I don't worry or get nervous either.  Too busy having fun.

I knew there was something about you I liked, but now I know your a lawyer so it evens things back out. :o Just kidding...about the lawyer thing, my goal is to never need one. :D

@dtel that is a very good goal.  The legal system is completely broke, and I an sometimes ashamed to be part of it.  I am kind of a different lawyer.  I grew up in Idaho, and my dad was a lawyer.  They are way behind the times.  Over there, lawyers are people who help solve problems.  I spend a lot of my time giving people free legal information because a lot of the time they think they need a lawyer and don't.  Not having problems, worrying or getting nervous helps a lot as a lawyer, but it also gets me in trouble, because I am myself no matter who I am talking to, and I can be a smartass.  Their problem, not mine.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, vasubandu said:

Ha ha @dwilawyer, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.  Can you even get it now?  My copy is a paperback, and I think I got it in 1985.  As for your theory on the color black, what is the analog for sound?

If a tree falls in the forest but no one is there to hear it does it still make a sound?

I think the real question is whether colors exist or are merely a subjective impression.  Are trees still green when no one is looking, or is "green" an interaction between an observer and light?  For that matter, is what you perceive to be green the same thing as what I perceive?  We both agree that it is green, because it is green to us.  But how can you know that your perception is the same as someone else's?  Actually on that score some serious scientific work suggests that our perceptions are the same.

In astronomy, I was take with the Anthropic Principle.  It dealt with the question whether a universe without intelligent life would exist.  Fascinating question and no answer last I checked in.  In the scheme of things, sound is easy, as I will demonstrate with my full-range, perfect-sound speaker.

Here we go again:

SPOCK: That is true. I am not from the world you know at all. My home is a planet millions of light years away.
ZARABETH: Oh, how wonderful! I've always loved books about such possibilities. But they are only stories. This isn't real. I must be imagining all this. I'm going mad!
SPOCK: Listen to me. I am firmly convinced that I do exist. I am substantial. You are not imagining this.

• Moderators
22 hours ago, vasubandu said:

In astronomy, I was take with the Anthropic Principle.  It dealt with the question whether a universe without intelligent life would exist.  Fascinating question and no answer last I checked in.  In

You are in LUCK!  That question was just answered today as a matter of fact.

https://youtu.be/W0sHToKXxWY