RF-7 mk3 Internal bracing and crossover network pictures?

Sound.Theory

They have only been shipping these out for a couple weeks, and only a few on here have them yet. You might have more luck contacting Klipsch about a drawing or plans showing the RF7lll's internals. Not many people want to disassemble their brand new speakers. Good luck.

• Like 3

On 1/14/2018 at 12:43 PM, Ceptorman said:

They have only been shipping these out for a couple weeks, and only a few on here have them yet. You might have more luck contacting Klipsch about a drawing or plans showing the RF7lll's internals. Not many people want to disassemble their brand new speakers. Good luck.

Great points, I think I'll do that. :)

• Moderators
On 1/14/2018 at 12:43 PM, Ceptorman said:

You might have more luck contacting Klipsch about a drawing or plans showing the RF7lll's internals.

I wouldn't if I were them, I am sure someone would complain, copy or at least whine about something. To many braces not enough braces, crossover wire not there favorite and of course capacitors and drivers. Plus I am sure someone would make their own putting there own "much preferred" drivers claiming many breakthroughs.

I wasn't directing this at you Koh, or anyone in particular,  it's just the way some people act. It seems you could give some a gold monkey and they would ask why it is not a different shade of gold ? 

Sorry I just have a low tolerance for whiny people. :D

• Like 3

On 1/17/2018 at 12:55 PM, dtel said:

I wouldn't if I were them, I am sure someone would complain, copy or at least whine about something. To many braces not enough braces, crossover wire not there favorite and of course capacitors and drivers. Plus I am sure someone would make their own putting there own "much preferred" drivers claiming many breakthroughs.

I wasn't directing this at you Koh, or anyone in particular,  it's just the way some people act. It seems you could give some a gold monkey and they would ask why it is not a different shade of gold ? 

Sorry I just have a low tolerance for whiny people. :D

I really don't understand why on Earth we shouldn't be allowed to see the inside of their speakers...? The internals absolutely have a huge impact on performance and help me determine what I buy. I will never ever understand why in the heck i get criticized on this forum for asking this.... WTF?

Seriously, no one would complain about "too much bracing" - great internal bracing with lots of it is always a good thing, as are nice beefy cross over networks with quality caps and resistors.

8 hours ago, Sound.Theory said:

I really don't understand why on Earth we shouldn't be allowed to see the inside of their speakers...? The internals absolutely have a huge impact on performance and help me determine what I buy. I will never ever understand why in the heck i get criticized on this forum for asking this.... WTF?

Seriously, no one would complain about "too much bracing" - great internal bracing with lots of it is always a good thing, as are nice beefy cross over networks with quality caps and resistors.

Not speaking for Klipsch but perhaps their view is to simply let people judge their speakers by how they sound and NOT by inferences they draw by viewing blueprints and schematics?  

As for your belief that there can never be "too much bracing", I respectfully disagree.  Any bracing beyond what is necessary to eliminate audible resonances simply increases manufacturing, weight and shipping shipping costs.  ..If it doesn't improve the sound then why bother??  ..My Klipsch Cornwalls clearly don't have an abundance of bracing - knock on the cabinets and you'll hear they sound quite hollow.  Still, they sound fabulous - incredibly smooth, no smearing, no strain at any reasonable volume AND not a hint of resonance.  So what would have been gained by add'l bracing?  They already weigh 100lbs ea.

I understand that a lot of speaker companies (particularly consumer, not so much pro-audio) make a huge deal about eliminating cabinet resonances but how much of this is necessary and how much is marketing hype?  ..My Paradigms and Vandersteens had very inert cabinets, yet my new Cornwall III's - which are far more hollow sounding by comparison (when you rap on them w/your knuckles) - sound better in every respect!  I think eliminating audible resonances is easily achieved w/ out the use of excessive internal bracing through thoughtful cabinet design, and dampening material inside the cabinet. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Sound.Theory said:

I really don't understand why on Earth we shouldn't be allowed to see the inside of their speakers...?

I see no reason ether, I just wouldn't go out my way to do it. All it takes is one person to buy them and take pics, it's not like it's a secret. They let us watch them building them and all other speakers they were working on at the time of Pilgrimage, and I have been there plenty and they never hid anything.

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, ODS123 said:

As for you're belief that there can never be too much bracing , I respectfully disagree.  Add'l bracing increases the weight of the speaker which increases shipping costs.  ..If the add'l bracing doesn't measurably and audibly improve the sound then why bother??  

It's not just that, any extra internal bracing takes up cubic inches which would/could change the tune of the speaker, or they have to increase the size by that many cubic inches to keep it the same.

You can't just add a bunch of braces thinking your helping, your not, your changing the bass mostly since the horns aren't as dependent on cabinet size. Think about how important cabinet size affects the performance of a sub for different drivers, same thing.

• Like 3

On 1/20/2018 at 12:55 PM, ODS123 said:

Not speaking for Klipsch but perhaps their view is to simply let people judge their speakers by how they sound and NOT by inferences they draw by viewing blueprints and schematics?  

As for your belief that there can never be "too much bracing", I respectfully disagree.  Any bracing beyond what is necessary to eliminate audible resonances simply increases manufacturing, weight and shipping shipping costs.  ..If it doesn't improve the sound then why bother??  ..My Klipsch Cornwalls clearly don't have an abundance of bracing - knock on the cabinets and you'll hear they sound quite hollow.  Still, they sound fabulous - incredibly smooth, no smearing, no strain at any reasonable volume AND not a hint of resonance.  So what would have been gained by add'l bracing?  They already weigh 100lbs ea.

I understand that a lot of speaker companies (particularly consumer, not so much pro-audio) make a huge deal about eliminating cabinet resonances but how much of this is necessary and how much is marketing hype?  ..My Paradigms and Vandersteens had very inert cabinets, yet my new Cornwall III's - which are far more hollow sounding by comparison (when you rap on them w/your knuckles) - sound better in every respect!  I think eliminating audible resonances is easily achieved w/ out the use of excessive internal bracing through thoughtful cabinet design, and dampening material inside the cabinet. 

I definitely learned something new with this comment, I didn't know that, I always thought more was better with internal bracing. Thank you for the highly informative post. :)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Sound.Theory said:

I definitely learned something new with this comment, I didn't know that, I always thought more was better with internal bracing.

Klipsch does brace their cabs, just not the one mentioned.  How much bracing a manufacturer puts in is a decision made between the engineers and the marketing people, the latter who determine how a product costs, at what price point, and how much profit can be realized from each product.

My CF-4's had substantial bracing from the factory.  I added more, along with several other mods that it would have cost the company money to do because it's labor intensive, but I have nothing but time to add to my speakers.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 2/21/2019 at 6:34 PM, Deang said:

Probably real similar to its predecessor.

20828A38-9736-47F1-A450-D4F7FE56DE31.jpeg

62D435D2-5A86-4AC5-ACC5-F131A1061C8B.jpeg

I'd still really like to see the actual RF-7 III crossovers. I'd also love to see the internal bracing and bifurcated chambers. I intend to buy RF-7 III's, the RC-64 III, and matching surrounds. I'd love to have someone like you do the crossover upgrades on all of them. Any chance you could do this, or know someone who could?