(4) Klipsch RSW-15's or (2) Danley TH115 Subs?

Youthman

• Moderators

I'm currently running (4) Klipsch RSW-15's in my theater behind a 150" AT Screen.  A pair of Danley TH115 were just listed locally.  I know Danley makes subs with ridiculous output and was really impressed their demo room at InfoComm 2017 where I had the chance to hear the TH118 (see demo video below). 

The TH115 is rated at 133db Continuous / 139 Peak Output, while the RSW-15 is rated at 121db Output. 

The TH115 is only rated at 38Hz though vs the 20Hz of the RSW-15. 

Just looking for some advice on whether this would be an upgrade over my (4) RSW-15's.  I'm wondering if I would still need a single sub that would handle the very low frequencies.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Looking at the specs I don't think they hit anywhere near low enough for home theater, probably sound great for music though.

That's what I was wondering.

2 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Why give up extension for HT?  That makes no sense to me.

Thus the reason for my inquiry here.  LOL 

2 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Build an IB and be done with your quest for bass.

Therein lies the problem....if wakejunkie was local, we would have already built it.  I'm not a builder by any means.  Wakejunkie can build anything.  I told him I could sell 3 of my RSW-15's to fund (4) 18" IB subs and give him an RSW-15 for his 2ch LaScala setup in his living room as a thank you for building it.  

6 minutes ago, Youthman said:

Therein lies the problem....if wakejunkie was local, we would have already built it.  I'm not a builder by any means.  Wakejunkie can build anything.  I told him I could sell 3 of my RSW-15's to fund (4) 18" IB subs and give him an RSW-15 for his 2ch LaScala setup in his living room as a thank you for building it.  

It doesn't need to be near as elaborate as what he did at his house.  I'm sure he could knock it out in a weekend.  Heck, he could build the manifold at his house and all he'd need to do was cut a hole and mount it at your house.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

It doesn't need to be near as elaborate as what he did at his house.

Knowing @WakeJunkie he is going to build it like he would build his own and do it as the very best quality he can.

4 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Heck, he could build the manifold at his house and all he'd need to do was cut a hole and mount it at your house.

If we do eventually go that route, that's likely what he would do.  He just has sooo much on his plate right now.  He recently finished repairing his foundation of his house (about a 5 month project), now he's starting a business.  Not sure he will have any spare time anytime soon but fortunately, I'm in no hurry.

I can't answer your question, my friend.  It's beyond my technical abilities to answer definitively.

Speaking as one who has sat in your theater and having heard your demo material for a couple of hours, there was never a time when I felt like leaning over to you and saying "hey, where's that lowest octave of sub-sonic bass?"  B)

• Like 1

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Speaking as one who has sat in your theater and having heard your demo material for a couple of hours, there was never a time when I felt like leaning over to you and saying "hey, where's that lowest octave of sub-sonic bass?"

LOL.....it's just the rabbit hole that keeps getting deeper and deeper.  Always looking for economical ways to improve my systems.  If I can upgrade something with little to no money out of pocket, why not.

• 2 weeks later...

4 flat pack ultimax 18s with a couple inuke 6000dsps

you can sell the 4 rsws and still have money left over

u can build them w the kids, paint duratex...done in a weekend

4 positioned like yours are now will fit the same space (i had an rsw15 and know the size)

they are tested and proven to have max output without room gain...4 would be roughly (@2m)

137db at 40hz

120db at 20hz

102db at 10hz

w room gain i would guess you could eq the system to a flat response of 115-120db down to 7hz

sealed alignment would have even more punch and clarity than the rsws with much more extension

no missing lfe content w those and terrific still for music

in your market u can likely find 4 used for 300 each or buy new delivered unassembled 450 each

dont want to build?

diysoundgroup just released assembled subs including ported options that come with speakerpower amps

consider 2 si24s sealed they would beat anything on the market