Upgrading KSF-8.5 system for Atmos

razmaspaz

I currently own a pair of KSF-8.5s, a C-5, and a KSW-10.  I've moved and would like to do the new setup full 7.2.4 Atmos, Previously I had the front paired to some in ceiling cdt-2650 speakers, but those stayed in the old house.  The AVR is an old Denon with no HDMI, so it is time for that to go.  I have 3 questions:

1)I like how the Denon sounds with my current setup, but comparing the Pioneer and Denon in store I prefer the Pioneer, obviously nothing anyone demos in store is going to sound like 90s klipsch, so what modern AVRs do people tend to like for that era speaker?  I'm gonna end up buying something for in home demo I'm sure.  I saw a few results ins search touting Marantz, Denon, and Pioneer as good matches.  Based on what I heard of the denon today I'm a little worried the combo of the denon/ksf will be a bit harsh, but the feature set on the denon is IMO much better than the pioneer right now.    

2)I really like the ksf-8.5/ c-5, and don't see a need to upgrade, but since I would likely go hunting for 4 ksf-s5s and a second ksw-10 and 4 ceiling speakers, I'm guessing I'm in for $1400 in speakers when it is all said and done.  Is it a better idea to just start from scratch on the speakers?  Guessing not, but thoughts are welcome.

3)Assuming I keep them and get some s5s to go with, what is a good match for the ceiling speakers?

Thanks in advance.

If you're happy with the speakers that you have now then I would simply buy a couple of pair of KSF-S5's and forget the atmos stuff. With the saving you could buy a better sub and invest the rest in a mutual fund.

Keith

2 hours ago, T2K said:

If you're happy with the speakers that you have now then I would simply buy a couple of pair of KSF-S5's and forget the atmos stuff. With the saving you could buy a better sub and invest the rest in a mutual fund.

Keith

Ha, I'm flush with mutual funds and short on speakers.  I suppose I got that way by not buying speakers in the first place.  I do have a feeling a used set of reference speakers will hold their value better than the Dow over the next 3-5 years though.

I honestly haven't done the due diligence on the value of atmos, is it really that gimmicky?