Klipsch Professional KPT-904

Emile

Hi All,

Trying to get some advise on KPT-904 speakers. :)  Read many threads for hours/days and it seems everyone "loves" these speakers. :) 

@jwc found an eBay listing for K401/510 horns ( see thread "Ebay K402 and K510 with drivers" ) and I thought It might be interesting :) but later figured out I just do not have enough room for a pair of K402 horns (unless I turn them 90 degrees which seems "wrong."  :( . Then @The Dude showed the seller also has a pair of KPT-904's ... see https://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-Professional-KPT-904-940-SW-Dual-15THX-Driver-b-c-HF-Drivers-Pair/202163924574?_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D44040%26meid%3D9f2e4dbd0c734c9db455d2d732c6ada0%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D192422774923&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982 .

Since I am "local" to this seller, thought I might pick them up (after checking with the forum).  Currently running Cornwall I's with a Marantz 2252B, coupled with an Onkyo AVR 7.1 with Klipsch Forte's, and a variety of KG's (3.2, 5.2, 1.5 ...) Thought I'd replace my Cornwall's with these KPT-904's :)  But ... not sure if it is "plug and play" with the crossovers ... see pic 

s-l1600.jpg

Appreciate your advise. Thanks a lot! :)

Cheers, Emile

PS. WAF on these is "low." Probably will have to (walnut) veneer boxes and fabricate grilles to make them "acceptable." :(  Anymore advise? :) Thanks a lot!

Go Big or Stay Home :lol:

I wish I could help but The only thing I know about 904's is I'd sure like to hear a pair :D 

With the 510 's on top ( I think ) I bet they are impressive !

Maybe he will let you bring something (Reciever or whatever)to test them out ?

@Chief bonehead seems to be on here some and I'm pretty sure he knows plenty about them :lol:

Klipsch Pro speakers are an excellent value performance wise and the bigger they are the better the value , but the bigger they are the harder they are to sell :unsure:  at least to married men :lol:

• Like 1

On 9/14/2014 at 1:10 AM, bhendrix said:

Actually, I owned, and enjoyed, the Jubilees, JubScala, and the 904s at the same time.  The Jubilees and 904s were all sold to friends because of my sudden and catastrophic hearing loss, not because one was better than another.  When I could hear, the Jubilees were my favorite, and fantastic speaker.  The 904's were number 2 (of those in my possession at that time) and not far behind the Jubs.

If I was local like you Emile, I would certainly go have a look... and probably buy a pair of 904s.

I have a pair of 510's sitting on my shelf right now and I may end up building a pair of 904s.

4: woofers, Crites $270pr = $540

2: B&C DE750TN-8 = $554.86pr

3: Sheets of .75in Baltic Birch = $180 approx.

2: Crossovers = ?... would need to see if Bob, Al, or Dean has something suitable?

At an asking price of $850, seems like a no brainer... and no birch slivers from the wood work. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I owned what was referred to on the Klipsch site as "Frankenstein" consisting of the same bass cabs with an EV horn and Crites passive networks. I really liked them. The EV horn was roughly the size of the 510, much larger than your current Cornwall mid. Performance wise I can't compare but for a slot-horn I thought they played well. Had them with KHorns and then Jubes arrived. I still own the Jubes. This will be great time to experience a good two-way system. And as Zim said these bins are big, and heavy. Much more so than Corns. I actually found myself listening the Franks as much as I did the KHorns. I also think the much larger 510, like the EV, will eat up the Cornwall mid horn.

(Go to the main Klipsch site and search Frankenstein.)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zim. said:

Those 904's appear to include the correct passive

Awesome! Thank you SIR! :) 

7 minutes ago, Zim. said:

If you don't have room for the 402 horn are you sure the 904's will suit your space

Yeah; just planning on using these instead of my Cornwall's :)  Only have about 30 inch on each side of my tv vs 40 inch for the 402's ... on small wall ... then 2 ft wall on the left and couple of reel to reel's and AV (build-in) rack on the right :( 

8 minutes ago, Zim. said:

They are also rounded on the edges making veneering a bit of a project. 

Yeah ... and my wife will kill me if they look like industrial black boxes :(  Guess I could "plywood" and fill in the corners and then veneer :) 

Thanks and Cheers, Emile :) 

10 minutes ago, richieb said:

these bins are big, and heavy. Much more so than Corns.

Hi richieb. Thanks a lot! But ... thought these 904's are only "slightly" larger than CW's ( same width, +2 inches deep, about (?) the same height excl the 510 horn ... yeah; 50 lbs heavier).

Cheers, Emile :) 

6 minutes ago, Emile said:

Awesome! Thank you SIR! :) 

Yeah; just planning on using these instead of my Cornwall's :)  Only have about 30 inch on each side of my tv vs 40 inch for the 402's ... on small wall ... then 2 ft wall on the left and couple of reel to reel's and AV (build-in) rack on the right :( 

Yeah ... and my wife will kill me if they look like industrial black boxes :(  Guess I could "plywood" and fill in the corners and then veneer :) 

Thanks and Cheers, Emile :) 

Mine were finished at an auto body shop where they sanded the industrial finish, kept the rounded edges and then sprayed with automotive paint. I was told sanding the OE finish was a bitchh! They were sprayed gloss gray with the EV horn painted a red-orange. They were unique and very cool. 

• Like 1

Width is about the same, 904s are about 2 inches deeper and with the top horn, about 15" taller.

Keep in mind that these speakers were made for movie theaters and intended to go behind a screen.  As such, stock crossovers are going to be tuned to have a slightly higher output in the upper frequencies to account for the screen. I'm not sure by how much but you can probably do a search to find the exact amount.  If you don't plan on putting them behind a screen with similar acoustic properties, you can either get new crossovers made (talk to Crites) or dial them down with an equalizer or tone controls.  Of course another simple solution would be to get some of that screen material and just place it in front of the 510 horns (build yourself some grills).

$850 for a pair is a heckuva price assuming everything is in working order.

• Like 1