Is This Considered A Youthman Deal?

miliellie111

Ever since reading the the Youthman deal thread, I’ve been envious, yet motivated to find my own.

Been looking for a separate amp to pair with my newly acquired RF7-II’s running on my Marantz SR-7010. Scouring Craigslist I came across a Marantz MM-7055 ($1200 retail). Guy had it listed for $750. This was already pretty low. I emailed him why he was selling. He ordered this amp back in November from his installer and by the time he got to installing, he realized this was not a good match for his 4ohm speakers. By then, the return period had passed on the amp so he was pretty much stuck with it. He was trying to move it so that he could proceed with getting an amp that would work with his speakers.

I told him that I was looking at other amps as well (Outlaw) and I came across an Emotiva XPA-5 for $500 (gen 1) but it wouldn’t fit in my AV cabinet. I offered him $500 for the Marantz. He countered with $550 because he had other offers but he would have to go through the trouble of shipping but I was local. I said deal. 

I met up with him and he was only about 50 minutes away. Very cool guy, we chatted, had some things in common and are both building up our home audio systems. Very easy PayPal transaction done in less than 5 minutes. When I got home, he had this amp pagckaged in the original box, styrofoam and all, all original accessories, plastic, paperwork and receipt from vendor showing he paid $1199 for this amp. I was impressed that this was basically as brand new as brand new could get. The packaging and condition of this product would put Accesories4Less to shame and they are asking $720 for this amp refurbished.

Briefly hooked it up to my RF-7’s and RC-64 and I’m floored by the amount of volume, warmth, detail and dynamics.And it is a perfect match aesthetically stacked underneath my Marantz SR-7010.

So, is $550 for an essentially $1200 brand new Marantz amp considered a @Youthman deal?

• Like 1

• Moderators

Oh cmon guys.  Give milie a break.  LOL.  Yes, I believe you did very well my friend.  I think you got a great deal on that Marantz amp, especially since it's a current model and pretty much brand new.  Whether or not it's a Youthman deal, is not for me to decide.

The phrase Youthman Deal was created by guys in this forum due to the many ridiculous deals I've found over the years.  (ie. Mint RS-7 for $50, RF-7 II for $363.00 (when they were still current model speakers) and KLF-30 and KLF-C7 (with some cosmetic damage) for $200.  It's those types of deals that simply don't make any sense to me or anyone else but are very real and are one of many ridiculous deals I've scored since my first Klipsch purchase in January of 2008 when my addiction was at it's infancy. 

As far as amps for my theater room, I originally bought a Parasound HCA2205 (220 x 5) in April of 2010 for $750 (which was right at market value at the time) and sold it in Nov of 2013 for $550.  But in Jan of 2014, I made up for the loss when I came across a sweet deal on B&K 200.7 (200 x 7) amp for $400 and ended up selling it in Feb of 2014 for a $1000 after being given a Sherbourn 7100A (200 x 7) amp for free. 

I truly hope stories like these are an encouragement to everyone that deals are out there.  I've always said that in order to score ridiculous deals, you have to have 3 things:

1)  Continually looking for deals daily, sometimes even hourly (ridiculous deals often last less than a few hours, sometimes way less)

2)  Have cash on hand that is pre-approved to spend on audio gear (if there is a significant other). 

3)  Available to either go get them immediately or send a deposit to hold them until you can pick them up

If you don't have all three of these in place, it's really difficult to score what most would consider a Youthman Deal.  Timing is everything.  I'm not even sure how I do it sometimes. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Youthman said:

Oh cmon guys.  Give milie a break.  LOL.  Yes, I believe you did very well my friend.  I think you got a great deal on that Marantz amp, especially since it's a current model and pretty much brand new.  Whether or not it's a Youthman deal, is not for me to decide.

The phrase Youthman Deal was created by guys in this forum due to the many ridiculous deals I've found over the years.  (ie. Mint RS-7 for $50, RF-7 II for $363.00 (when they were still current model speakers) and KLF-30 and KLF-C7 (with some cosmetic damage) for $200.  It's those types of deals that simply don't make any sense to me or anyone else but are very real and are one of many ridiculous deals I've scored since my first Klipsch purchase in January of 2008 when my addiction was at it's infancy. 

As far as amps for my theater room, I originally bought a Parasound HCA2205 (220 x 5) in April of 2010 for $750 (which was right at market value at the time) and sold it in Nov of 2013 for $550.  But in Jan of 2014, I made up for the loss when I came across a sweet deal on B&K 200.7 (200 x 7) amp for $400 and ended up selling it in Feb of 2014 for a $1000 after being given a Sherbourn 7100A (200 x 7) amp for free. 

I truly hope stories like these are an encouragement to everyone that deals are out there.  I've always said that in order to score ridiculous deals, you have to have 3 things:

1)  Continually looking for deals daily, sometimes even hourly (ridiculous deals often last less than a few hours, sometimes way less)

2)  Have cash on hand that is pre-approved to spend on audio gear (if there is a significant other). 

3)  Available to either go get them immediately or send a deposit to hold them until you can pick them up

If you don't have all three of these in place, it's really difficult to score what most would consider a Youthman Deal.  Timing is everything.  I'm not even sure how I do it sometimes. 

After reading this, I’m convinced that I still have yet more work to do in finding my first “Youthman Deal” lol

• Like 1

8 hours ago, miliellie111 said:

So, is $550 for an essentially $1200 brand new Marantz amp considered a @Youthman deal?

Not even a "willland" deal but still a great price.:D

Now keep in mind that the 7055 is not of the caliber of amp as the 7025 so I would drive the RF-7II's with the 7025.  

http://audiovision.de/2011/02/01/test-marantz-av7005mm70257055/

Power Amplifiers: Construction

To test Marantz delivered not one, but two power amplifiers: The MM 7055 takes care of five channels, the MM 7025 by two channels. Both feature unbalanced and balanced inputs, stable speaker terminals, Marantz remote bus jacks, and twelve-volt remote switch ports. The power specifications of the manufacturer per channel are identical for both devices.

Sound quality surround

However, our measuring laboratory can not confirm that. As soon as all five channels have to work at the same time on the MM 7055, the performance drops significantly compared to the MM 7025 two-channel power amplifier: instead of 226 watts into four ohms and 194 watts into six ohms, the MM 7055 only sends 76 to four ohms Watt and at six ohms 131 watts to the measuring resistors. In absolute terms, these are good values; for an AV receiver, they would be respectable. From a pure multi-channel power amplifier without additional circuits that produce heat and draw electricity, but you expect more. Here, a performance limitation should not start so soon.

As a result of these measurements, the testers decided to use the MM 7025 power amplifier for the high-performance front channels in their hearing comparisons and to give the MM 7055 the "tamer" center and surround speakers. That this tactic was right, was the same, namely with the tow truck scene from "Terminator - the redemption" (Dolby TrueHD). The trio impresses with a precise, present but at the same time airy and pleasant midrange and high tone reproduction. She lets it really crack in the bass, the explosions and collisions shook the listening room with power, depth and accuracy. Even when it comes to music, the Marantz team does not put its light under the bushel, but stacks up the space in "They Can not Take That Away from Me" and conveys emotions convincingly.

Bill

15 hours ago, miliellie111 said:

Mr. Youthman is the ultimate judge of what is a Youthman deal, but I think you got an outstanding deal.  :emotion-21:

I think of a Youthman deal as a bundle, one where you get the brand new $1200 Marantz amp for $550 and when you get there the guy (or the guy's ex-wife) sells you some Khorns for $100 because they are too big for the living room and just wants them out of the house.

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Does a trashed pair of La Scala's for $25 bucks count? (which ultimately turned out beautiful)   $25 flea market Heresy's?

Absolutely

14 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Mr. Youthman is the ultimate judge of what is a Youthman deal

I'm not one to judge other people.  LOL

15 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I think of a Youthman deal as a bundle, one where you get the brand new $1200 Marantz amp for $550 and when you get there the guy (or the guy's ex-wife) sells you some Khorns for $100 because they are too big for the living room and just wants them out of the house.

Haha...now that's funny.  Interestingly enough, a few years ago, I was second in line for $200 Khorns.  I was texting back and forth with the lady about them and when I asked for the address, she said "Oh, a guy is already on his way".  You would have thought she would have mentioned that up front.  LOL

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, willland said:

Not even a "willland" deal but still a great price.:D

Now keep in mind that the 7055 is not of the caliber of amp as the 7025 so I would drive the RF-7II's with the 7025.  

http://audiovision.de/2011/02/01/test-marantz-av7005mm70257055/

Power Amplifiers: Construction

To test Marantz delivered not one, but two power amplifiers: The MM 7055 takes care of five channels, the MM 7025 by two channels. Both feature unbalanced and balanced inputs, stable speaker terminals, Marantz remote bus jacks, and twelve-volt remote switch ports. The power specifications of the manufacturer per channel are identical for both devices.

Sound quality surround

However, our measuring laboratory can not confirm that. As soon as all five channels have to work at the same time on the MM 7055, the performance drops significantly compared to the MM 7025 two-channel power amplifier: instead of 226 watts into four ohms and 194 watts into six ohms, the MM 7055 only sends 76 to four ohms Watt and at six ohms 131 watts to the measuring resistors. In absolute terms, these are good values; for an AV receiver, they would be respectable. From a pure multi-channel power amplifier without additional circuits that produce heat and draw electricity, but you expect more. Here, a performance limitation should not start so soon.

As a result of these measurements, the testers decided to use the MM 7025 power amplifier for the high-performance front channels in their hearing comparisons and to give the MM 7055 the "tamer" center and surround speakers. That this tactic was right, was the same, namely with the tow truck scene from "Terminator - the redemption" (Dolby TrueHD). The trio impresses with a precise, present but at the same time airy and pleasant midrange and high tone reproduction. She lets it really crack in the bass, the explosions and collisions shook the listening room with power, depth and accuracy. Even when it comes to music, the Marantz team does not put its light under the bushel, but stacks up the space in "They Can not Take That Away from Me" and conveys emotions convincingly.

Bill

Corrct me if I’m wrong but the MM-7025 and MM-7055 are the same amp, same wattage power supply transformer with the same components. The 7055 just adds 3 extra channels. It is not surprising that with all 5 channels driven on the 7055 it is not putting out the same wattage as the 7025 driving only 2 channels but if you are only driving the 7055 with 2 channels (stereo listening) then they should be identical. 

For movies, it will only be driving the RF-7’s and RC-64 and my surrounds will still be running off my SR-7010.

32 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I think that also qualifies as an opus2K9 (Brandon) deal.....He's had a few of these I do believe.....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, miliellie111 said:

Corrct me if I’m wrong but the MM-7025 and MM-7055 are the same amp, same wattage power supply transformer with the same components. The 7055 just adds 3 extra channels. It is not surprising that with all 5 channels driven on the 7055 it is not putting out the same wattage as the 7025 driving only 2 channels but if you are only driving the 7055 with 2 channels (stereo listening) then they should be identical. 

For movies, it will only be driving the RF-7’s and RC-64 and my surrounds will still be running off my SR-7010.

If you or anyone is worried about the 7055 stepping up to the challenge I would gladly swap my mint mm7025 for their 7055.

Congrats on a great deal on a great amp.  LMK if you want swap:-)

1 hour ago, miliellie111 said:

Corrct me if I’m wrong but the MM-7025 and MM-7055 are the same amp, same wattage power supply transformer with the same components.

Sorry, I used the wrong description when I said "caliber of amp".  I, in no means meant the 7055 was inferior to the 7025.  I should have been more specific and said that for stereo separation, go with the 7025 for your mains.  Most likely less crosstalk between channels. 

I have tried it both ways with my Acurus 2-channel and 3-channel amps and I think the A200 slightly edges out the A200x3 in stereo mode.  With the 7025 and 7055, you may not even be able to detect any difference and if so maybe slightly.

Bill

2 hours ago, Youthman said:

Yes, there are plenty of people on the forum that have scored great deals.  For some reason, my name just stuck as people just began using the phrase Youthman Deal as a catchphrase. 

Well, what did you expect?  Your reputation as a deal finder is fairly earned and well deserved.    :emotion-21: 

Not only did you score multiple great deals, you also documented them in multiple threads on the Klipsch forum, followed by fabulous photography, in living color! 

You're a role model!  :lol:

Well, I've had my fair share of "Youthman Deals". My first deal was a pair of Cornwall II's for $150-cabs are a bit rough but they sound great. Next deal was KG5.5 in perfect condition for $75. My latest deal is RF-52's, a RW-10d, an RC-10, 2 blu-ray players and an Onkyo TX-SR705 for $100 all of them local to me. Oh, and my best deal-Frazier Super Monte Carlo's with original boxes , receipt, and in mint condition for $50. I think I'm done for now, till the next one comes along.

• Like 1