Kg3’s worth an upgrade?

Ddm556

Hello everyone,

this is my first post. About a month ago I bought my first pair of Klipsch speakers, kg3’s in walnut. They sound amazing. I realize that they aren’t heritage. Would it be worth my time putting in a tweeter upgrade. I wonder why these were discontinued, they really do sound great. 

welcome. you did not mention if you have any diy experience so for the purpose of this response I will assume that you do not, if you do no problems. Contact Bob Crites and tell him that you have been advised to replace the tweeter diaphragms in your KG3 to the titanium diaphragms and also that you would like to upgrade your crossover networks as well. These two changes will dramatically upgrade your loudspeakers. Past that I would think that looking at your present system would then be a good place to consider. You will have no shortage of opinions here or else where on line. You need to decide how good you want things to sound. sound quality will always begin with the source and work out toward the speakers. With your KG3 upgraded you can go a long way upgrading the rest of your system and you can enjoy your music at ever higher levels as you go.

• Thanks 1

I would advise only "upgrading" to fix a problem that you hear, not because you "hear" you need an upgrade.  Spend that upgrade money on tickets to live concerts of mostly acoustic music.  

The most likely "upgrade" you would need is a repair; replacement of the old capacitors in the crossover.  I don't know the sound of kg 3s, so I'm uncertain how they would sound if the caps had gone off.  Probably dull and polite.  If you are not hearing that, go listen to more live music.  Then, you should find your kgs sound even better.  :D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JohnA said:

I would advise only "upgrading" to fix a problem that you hear, not because you "hear" you need an upgrade.  Spend that upgrade money on tickets to live concerts of mostly acoustic music.  

The most likely "upgrade" you would need is a repair; replacement of the old capacitors in the crossover.  I don't know the sound of kg 3s, so I'm uncertain how they would sound if the caps had gone off.  Probably dull and polite.  If you are not hearing that, go listen to more live music.  Then, you should find your kgs sound even better.  :D

My advice exactly. Don't fix what ain't broken. I've only been following Klipsch for a couple years and from all I've read, the kg3 far over-performed for its price and therefore was an extremely popular speaker. If sound's coming out of the drivers, don't mess with them; enjoy them.

• Thanks 1

I will say the tweeter "upgrade" is a nice, not too expensive option and one of the good things about those diaphragms is that they fit in so many different speaker models so they can be moved around if you decide to trade your speakers up for a larger model. All of the KG's use that tweeter diaphragm, so do the forte I & II, Chorus I & II, Heresy II and Quartet to name a few. 

Cost to benefit ratio is always a concern for me and with some of these lower priced offerings I'd personally have a hard time spending too much money restoring or "upgrading" them when it is possible to trade the speakers up for larger / better model for sometimes little money with significant gains. Look at the KG 4.2 model for example, much larger tweeter horn and a 10" woofer so just trading stock for stock you'll get much better high end and more bass, better gains than possible with any upgrade to the KG 3's IMO. 

• Thanks 1

• 6 years later...

Hola, 

También es mi primera publicación, tengo los Kg3 llevo con ellos 5 años a los 6 meses de tenerlos actualize los tweeter y los crossovers de la casa Bob Crites mejoro muchísimo suenan de maravilla, (y están impolutos) lo que si no entiendo por que llevan la espuma por dentro solamente en un solo lado (lateral) del altavoz, no se si rellenar los lados que le falta, esa es mi duda y si daría un buen resultado o no.. si alguien me puede ayudar con estas dudas