Jamo C109

AsD

Hey.

Was just wondering if anyone have heard the Jamo C109 against a pair of anything Klipsch. I got a really good offer on a pair but i have to drive after them so it would be nice with some input. Don't know if they are worth the drive.

• Moderators

Heard a pair of Jamos, not sure of the model. They were about 10" tall and were on stands, for the size they had a really good sound. I have no idea what model they were, this was about 10 years ago.

20 hours ago, mopardave said:

was just at my son's.  his Jamo's are 550x.   very nice sound.

Well then. How do they compare to pretty much anything of the newer Klipsch stuff?

I know that aint a fair comparison but i haven't heard anything of the old Klipsch for a while.

The recent reviews of Jamo I've heard are that they are excellent.  The availability isn't always good in the United States though.  I believe Klipsch bought them out about 10 years ago.   Klipsch was displaying the Jamo Studio 8 line at CES this year, so it appears they are promoting the brand more than they had been.   

I know, i saw the new studio. They might in fact be why i got this great offer. I don't really like all this ''lots of small drivers'' stuff though.

And yes they used to be danish i think. Back then i was told that they had problems with the drivers falling apart within a few years though.

16 minutes ago, mopardave said:

I don't think there as alive as any Klipsch horn driven speakers.   They sound clear with plenty of mid and low bass.    Very good for the price.

Thanks. Maybe i should stay with Klipsch. 

I thought I'd add a little to this thread.  I found a deal I couldn't pass up on a pair of Jamo C109's, so I bought the pair to try them.  I'd looked at these a few times before, so it wasn't a completely impulsive decision.   I compared these to a pair of RF7-ii's.

On the C109 the mid range and higher frequencies are a little more relaxed (as I expected), and I don't think they were significantly more or less detailed.   The soundstage is good, especially for the price, but it's not quite there with an RF7.   Imaging was good on the Jamo's,  I'd say it's on-par with RF7-ii's.  The Jamo's don't put out sound effortlessly like an RF7 though.  I expected the reduced efficiency to be noticable, but they sound sedated in comparison.  To some listeners that may be a good thing though.  The RF7-ii is a little too forward to some.

The bass output on the Jamo was where I really noticed a deficiency in comparison.  The RF7-ii can legitimately stand on its own without a subwoofer, the C109 with its pair of 7" bass drivers aren't quite there.   You really need a subwoofer with them.  

Overall, the C109 is really good.  I'd have no qualms about recommending them.  I don't know if the typical Klipsch listener would find them to be a suitable alternative to an RF7 or RP-280 though.   

edit:  The C109's where in the same location as the RF7's for listening.  The photo is to show a size comparison.

C109 VS RF7.jpeg