RF-7 III amp pairing

billyslots

Going to upgrade my office stereo in the office.  Office is at one end of a 15' x 40' room with 9' ceiling.  Speakers pointing towards 15' direction.  Walls are drywall.  Floor hardwood with large area rug.  I don't like listening to music loud.  Medium at most.  It is purely two channel for music streamed from Spotify.  Play Blues almost exclusively.  It would be crazy to try and buy that many CDs so Spotify is it I think.  I want best sound though.  Questions are:  Are the RF-7 III too big?  What are recommendations for amp?  Do the speakers need a subwoofer?

40 minutes ago, Grizzog said:

If you listen to blues and want 2-channel only, I'd recommend the Forte III. I own both the RF-7 III and the Forte III and the Forte are hands-down winners for blues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude, you already picked up a pair of rf7 III? I think you may have a problem. Can I come over? :D

Thanks Grizzog.  That gives me something to think about.  There is all kinds of blues.  I target the electric blues with guitars predominating.  Forte still shine?

By far. The whole speaker is fantastic but the midrange is astonishing.

Thanks everyone. I have been trying to research your comments as we go along. 

Grizzog, what kind of music you play on RF-7 III?  Confused why you have both?

Primaluna Prologue 5 is tube. Bkwa1959, how often do tubes blow?

Pzannucci, given what you said, do you think the 6 recommended so far all do that?

you guys are great.  Thanks

23 minutes ago, billyslots said:

Pzannucci, given what you said, do you think the 6 recommended so far all do that?

I recently moved my Yamaha A-S1000 over to my RF-63s to give the combo a whirl and was more than blown away at the results.  Bass was fast, tight, and punchy with great tonal balance with the detailed mids and highs.  Below is the thread I started about that.

The Yamaha A-S1100 I suggested is considered a step up from the A-S1000.  Though a higher damping factor is often associated with better bass control, it also is not the 100% rule either.  My Acurus amps have a damping factor of >500@50Hz is considered on the higher side and they do have serious control with bass but my Yamaha has a damping factor of 160 and it too has very good bass control.  The mentioned A-S1100 is spec'd at 250 DF.

The mentioned Parasound Halo integrated has a DF of >800@20Hz which is very high.

Bill

15 hours ago, billyslots said:

Thanks Bill.  Appreciate it.  Can I get your recommendation for a subwoofer please.  Again, not playing loud.

Parasound is indeed a fine choice, certainly with RF 7s, I know from experience.  

If you really want to add a sub, my vote would lean towards a pair of Klipsch R115 SWs.  

When you decide to go with a Parasound Halo Integrated you can have your mains cut off somewhere in the 50 - 60 Hz region (the Parasound has a built in crossover).  Then you can let the subs handle everything below this freq.   I'm sure this will be an impressive combo!

Thanks everyone. I have been trying to research your comments as we go along. 

Grizzog, what kind of music you play on RF-7 III?  Confused why you have both?

Primaluna Prologue 5 is tube. Bkwa1959, how often do tubes blow?

you guys are great.  Thanks

Why I have both? I love music and like different systems. The fortes and 7s aren't my only speakers...

I listen to quite literally every genre. The fortes are better for 2-channel. I prefer the 7s for movies. Their height and outright power make them great for that. The 7s also have a matching center.

The fortes midrange is much more pronounced and I feel better for most music. If you prefer heavy bass music, the 7s may be better due to their enormous slam.

Yes Spotify for now. Thinking will try Tidal with new rig to hear the difference if I can.  Also don’t want to tie my hands going into the future. Streaming and internet will both improve. 

In summation from what I am hearing, down to parasound halo and Yamaha A-S1100 driving Forte III. 

Thinking perfect system pretty elusive. Especially when I hear how many amps and speakers you guys have lol. I just want one system. 

I would pay $250 to go to a studio with expert to hear all the combinations for 2 hrs to have the $250 taken off the price if I buy. Pity no one does that (that I know of). 

Thanks everyone!  If you have anything further to add, please do. 

On 1/12/2018 at 6:41 PM, billyslots said:

Going to upgrade my office stereo in the office.  Office is at one end of a 15' x 40' room with 9' ceiling. 

Are the RF-7 III too big?  What are recommendations for amp?  Do the speakers need a subwoofer?

Not too big at all, they would be great.  

I have them myself and am having great luck with a Parasound Halo P5 and A23 which is within your budget.

Don't really need a sub if you get a preamp with tone controls, I have all the bass I need and I'm an old school bass head.