It's Friday night, and I might have been drinking again

vasubandu

This weekend, I think I am going to make a trip to Gig Harbor, which is about an hour or two away.  There is a store there called Gig Harbor Audio.  They fix and sell new and used audio equipment, but they also apparently make speakers.  And they have a speaker that I suddenly must have.

http://www.gigharboraudio.com/used-gear/gha-custom-black-fur-full-range-speakers

Seriously, how many people have fur lined speakers?  Not only that, but full range furry speakers.  And the most amazing thing of all is that it pulls off full range with a single driver. If he actually makes the fur lining, I might see if I can get them for my 5.1 setup.  

Now admit it, you want a furry, one-driver, full range speaker too, don't you?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

Now admit it, you want a furry, one-driver, full range speaker too, don't you?

The ad says it's $1900 for the custom black fur speakers.

I'd rather save the extra money and go for the standard black fur speakers.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators

You have gone off the deep end if you buy those :o That design has been around a long time especially for diy, but you could add your own rat fur, as they call the covering on the older pro speakers, which those are not. Never cared for the one driver design, maby for low volumes or background music. They were all the rage years ago, bet some people here still have some, minus the rat fur I would think. :P

After some research, it looks like most "full range" speakers have a single driver.  That takes things farther than makes sense to me. I would think that 5 drivers with separate amps for each driver might make more sense if the idea was actually to produce complete and accurate sound from a single speaker.  The crossovers would be hell, but that would be the heart of it.  And I don't know how the speakers might interfere with each others. The weird thing is that it looks like the drivers that people use are dirt cheap.  I assume that people have tried using the highest quality components, but I am finding nothing on it.