Mold growing on my speakers?

Kain

My room is not damp (or at least doesn't seem/feel like it) and in the summer the A/C is on 24/7. In the winter, the A/C is off but the room temperature is the same as during the summer with the A/C on. It happens both during the summer and winter.

What could be the cause? It seems every few weeks to a month, mold slowly starts growing on my speakers and SubMersive. I wipe it off and everything is good as new. However, I haven't wiped off the mold in several months now and if I wipe is off now, there are "mold stains" where the mold was growing. Not sure if there is a way to get the stains off.

Note that the mold grows on the non-veneered front baffle face of the RF-7s and RC-7. I don't really notice it on the veneer that is on the sides, back, and top of the speakers. This is the only room in the house that has this mold issue.

Does it appear anywhere else in your home or just on the speakers? What do you clean the speakers with? What do you kill the mold with? Most people use bleach, but vinegar works just as well. Not sure what either one of those two would do to a speaker's finish.

You need a dehumififier in that room imo.  Above 50% mold can grow pretty easily, but as someone not living in a desert enviro I would guess the problem goes like this....it gets way hot during the day where the air can hold a huge amount of water (especially outside).  At night in a desert the temp change is huge so even with ac theres a ton of water that condenses once the sun goes down.  You could run a dehumidifier in that room anytime you arent using the system and I woild be surprised if it doesnt solve the issue.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, RoboKlipsch said:

You need a dehumififier in that room imo.  Above 50% mold can grow pretty easily, but as someone not living in a desert enviro I would guess the problem goes like this....it gets way hot during the day where the air can hold a huge amount of water (especially outside).  At night in a desert the temp change is huge so even with ac theres a ton of water that condenses once the sun goes down.  You could run a dehumidifier in that room anytime you arent using the system and I woild be surprised if it doesnt solve the issue.

Excellent idea.

Any mold needs some organic surface, even under the right conditions it should not grow on non organic surfaces. If the mold grows on you baffle there is something on the baffle that supports the growth. Try to clean the baffle with some alcohol and then apply some oily rubber protectant to make the surface unlivable for the mold.

• Like 1