The Most Popular Songs 1940-2016

wvu80

The most popular song in the year I was born was Jimmy Gilmer and the Fireballs....Sugar Shack, I've never heard of either one of them. It was in 1963. The Beatles and the Stones were the following two years. How many times did we see McCartney on there, 5-6? I will say, since around 1990, the music kind of sucked :o

• Like 2

22 hours ago, wvu80 said:

What was the most popular song the year you were born?  Any comments about any of the songs?  What surprised you the most?

21 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

The most popular song in the year I was born was Jimmy Gilmer and the Fireballs....Sugar Shack, I've never heard of either one of them. It was in 1963. The Beatles and the Stones were the following two years. How many times did we see McCartney on there, 5-6? I will say, since around 1990, the music kind of sucked :o

38 minutes ago, mr clean said:

I was born in 63 also. June 25th. We may be getting older but we got to see some great bands!!! 

http://www.birthdayjams.com

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr clean said:

I was born in 63 also. June 25th. We may be getting older but we got to see some great bands!!! 

A good friend worked at the local record store, and they sold concert tickets. He would hooked me up hundreds of times for tickets, never had to stand in line. A few notables...Led Zeppelin when I was 14, drank a beer with Van Halen when I was 16, before they made it big. Saw a band I've never heard of in their store playing acoustic guitars....Supertramp. 

51 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

Thanks Mike....nice site. Today is my wife's birthday. I played her the #1 song on this day in 1973, Carly Simon, You're So Vain :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

That'll Be the Day - The Crickets

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

Today is my wife's birthday. I played her the #1 song on this day in 1973, Carly Simon, You're So Vain :D

Please tell your better half Happy Birthday. :emotion-51: Just for her we ordered some snow for her tonight.

27 minutes ago, dtel said:

That'll Be the Day - The Crickets

Please tell your better half Happy Birthday. :emotion-51: Just for her we ordered some snow for her tonight.

I will....thanks for the snow:D

I will admit, the snow does look great, sometimes it covers the winter ugliness.

49 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Buddy Holly was one of my favorites, maybe the best American rocker ever.

Got to see Buddy Holly in concert in Rochester, NY,  January 1958. Great show and there was no cold or snow. Watched the little teenie boppers at the front of stage ...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Frank1938 said:

Got to see Buddy Holly in concert in Rochester, NY,  January 1958. Great show and there was no cold or snow. Watched the little teenie boppers at the front of stage ...

That is spectacular. I really do admire his music, it still holds up today. I wonder what he would've accomplished if he didn't die young? He died in Feb 1959.

3 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

That is spectacular. I really do admire his music, it still holds up today. I wonder what he would've accomplished if he didn't die young? He died in Feb 1959.

Here is a reference to that concert. Scroll down on the page until you find the poster advertising it. Notice the price of the tickets. Quite different from today. I didn't remember all those performers being there but I certainly remembered Buddy and watching the girls discover their sexuality as they stood right at the stage.:rolleyes:  Fun times!!

http://www.hillmanweb.com/rock/rr01a.html

• Like 2

On 1/13/2018 at 11:14 AM, wvu80 said:

What was the most popular song the year you were born?

:( Too old to remember :(  But ... first song I recall (parents played it over and over again) is Edith Piaf's "Non je regrette rien" from 1960. :)

Cheers, Emile 

39 minutes ago, Frank1938 said:

Here is a reference to that concert. Scroll down on the page until you find the poster advertising it. Notice the price of the tickets. Quite different from today. I didn't remember all those performers being there but I certainly remembered Buddy and watching the girls discover their sexuality as they stood right at the stage.:rolleyes:  Fun times!!

http://www.hillmanweb.com/rock/rr01a.html

Top tier tickets were $3.50! Thanks for that site Frank, lots of photos and a few videos I haven't seen. I saved the page.

• Like 1

I was born in 1956 so Elvis' Hound Dog was top dog that year.  I'm not sure why but I have a LOT of clear memories of hearing those songs from the time I was 3 years-old on.  My dad was a trombone players and I listened to a lot of music when I was young.

The most notable surprise for me was in 1940 I thought sure one of the greatest songs of all time, Glenn Miller's In the Mood would be #1.  Instead Tommy Dorsey's "I'll never smile again" was #1.  I wonder if the song reflected the pessimism of America's impending entry into World War II?

I love music from the Big Band era.