Things That Spin: CD Players

The History Kid

It's come to my attention that my ERC-1 is no longer doing what it's only function is - that is, play CD's.  Part of me should have been expecting this from a slot loaded player, but god forbid I actually listen to what my instincts tell me.  So, here I am with a player that spits discs back out at me as soon as I put them in.  Lovely.

Over the past few months I've grown disconnected from the Emotiva brand, I've had three products have some sort of fault - all conveniently out of warranty.  This leads me to start scratching my head about quality control within their lineup.  So with that, I'm opting to move away from them with any future updates in my system.

I am currently on the hunt for a new disc player though.  Granted I have plenty of disc players in my configuration, but CD's are one of those things I really would prefer to have a dedicated player for.  I've whittled this down to three options so far:

First is the Cambridge Audio Topaz CD10:

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/usa/en/products/topaz

Next, also from Cambridge is the CXC:

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/usa/en/products/cx/cxc

Lastly would be the Rortel RCD-1572:

http://rotel.com/product/rcd-1572

Since my XDA-2 has been handling the DAC work, any of these with built in DAC's may replace the XDA - that'd help my budgeting.  From the XDA, it runs to an Emotiva MC-700 preamp.  That's the ultimate route, so I'm not sure if I need a beefier DAC built into these units or not.

My questions are:

Which of these three would be my best option?  I own a few SACD's, and I'd like to have the option to play them with the best results, but I have to justify what I'm spending to myself...

What are some other good options or brands?  (I have a thing against Marantz, so pass on that.)

I'd prefer new or refurbished - or purchasing from a forum member if there are alternative older options...

Thoughts?

Accessories4less might be a good provider for you. I've been pleased with Marantz purchases from them, but they carry other brands, too. Oppo players can be had at very reasonable prices, sometimes in the Garage Sale section. You might post a WTB there.

SSH

45 minutes ago, ssh said:

Accessories4less might be a good provider for you. I've been pleased with Marantz purchases from them, but they carry other brands, too. Oppo players can be had at very reasonable prices, sometimes in the Garage Sale section. You might post a WTB there.

SSH

I have a BDP-103, but I'm leaning towards just a dedicated transport.  A4L does not have much to offer outside of Marantz and changers, and I absolutely do not want to deal with a disc changer again.

10 minutes ago, willland said:

For SACDs, you must have a SACD transport/player correct?  None of the linked players can do that unless you just want to play the CD layer.

What is your budget?

Bill

Good lookin' out Bill...I had made a faux assumption!

My immediate budget is between $300-$500, there's wiggle room if I can nix the XDA out of the picture (which was my anticipation with the Rotel, since it retails at $699.95 or so I'm told).

Just now, willland said:

Will your Oppo 103 be in the same setup as this new CD player?

If so, still use it for the occasional SACD and use the new dedicated CD player for CDs.

Bill

Yes it will.  I'm not opposed to that - my pickiness comes from the CD's ultimately.

I considered doing an Oppo UDP and keeping the 103 for dedicated CD duty, but I'm not convinced that's the best way for me to do things.  If it were a 105 or a 95 - maybe.

Let me suggest a couple of great sounding "budget" CD players if you decide to use 103 for SACDs.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/cd-sacd-players-w-manufacturers-warranty-authorized-dealer-c546bee-2018-01-01-digital

http://hifiheaven.net/shop/Products/Super-Audio-CD-CD-Players--and-Transports/Yamaha-CD-S700-CD-Player-Display-Model?sort=pd.name&order=DESC&limit=100

http://hifiheaven.net/shop/Cambridge-Audio-Azur-650C-CD-Player?search=cambridge audio

Hifiheaven has a great trade in program so explore that if you have some good condition items laying around.

The CXC and Rotel can go with this list.  I would not put the CA Topaz on the list, only the CA Azur players.

Bill

I am not sure how I missed the Azur's - they weren't really advertised well in the section I was looking at on Cambridge's website I suppose (All products).

I am strongly favoring that 650.  Yamaha had me in the past, and I just have funny vibes from their latest gear.  I don't know enough about NAD - what's the consensus on them?  (I haven't been impressed with what I've seen of their amp offerings, but that isn't saying much)

With that, my options are now (afaic) the CXC, Rotel, and the Azur.

8 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

I don't know enough about NAD - what's the consensus on them? 

I have owned many CD, SACD, universal players over the last 10 or 11 years ranging in price from $150.00 to $2500.00 and the best sounding of them all(to me) is my 12+ years old NAD C542.  It just has something special none of the others have/had.  Thump, punch, rhythm, fast, detailed, you name it.  The Cambridge Audio 640C I used to own had that thing also to a certain degree.

Bill

Thanks Bill.

I think my judgement is coming a little bit from appearance - which I know I shouldn't do.  I've been drawn lately to the designs that both Cambridge and Rotel have had out.  I'll consider the NAD though, since that's not where my priorities lie.

7 hours ago, The History Kid said:

Thanks Bill.

I think my judgement is coming a little bit from appearance - which I know I shouldn't do.  I've been drawn lately to the designs that both Cambridge and Rotel have had out.  I'll consider the NAD though, since that's not where my priorities lie.

I have just given my tastes and experiences.  Go where your heart/mind/eyes/ears/$$$ take you.  

I am a bit partial to the NAD C542 because of the other NAD gear that "matches" so I too let the visual help me decide.  I like visually matching gear hence my NAD/NAD, Yamaha/Yamaha, Cambridge Audio/Cambridge Audio systems.:D  I would have kept the CA 640C if I did not own the 840C since both match my 640Av2 integrated.

In other words, the CA 650C is a great sounding CD player and would have no problem switching to one if my 840C takes a dump.

Don't know much about the Rotel player.

Bill

After hearing some rave reviews about Yamaha, I'm putting them back on the table. @willland - what do you think of dropping down to the S300, or is the 700 the lowest you'd go in the series?  I'm also kicking around the CD-N models due to the supposedly nice built-in DAC's.

In looking at the guts of the Yamaha 300, it appears to have a Burr Brown DAC, juxtaposed to the Wolfson in the Cambridge - thoughts on that?

Evening, I've had the CXC transport for a little over a year. It does well, IDs some titles and tracks on newer discs. Don't know about longevity yet of course. Wouldn't have got it but had the CXN to do the processing for it already. The Yamaha cd player I had for a whole decade was superb, it was made in Japan like the receiver. The specs have gone downhill on their receivers since, did not consider them when I rebuilt my stereo.

1 hour ago, The History Kid said:

I'm also kicking around the CD-N models due to the supposedly nice built-in DAC's.

Actually, I have heard really good things about the CD-N500.  Network and CD player.  Before I bought my Yamaha CD-1000, I thought long and hard about the CD-N500 and the CD-S700.

1 hour ago, The History Kid said:

In looking at the guts of the Yamaha 300, it appears to have a Burr Brown DAC, juxtaposed to the Wolfson in the Cambridge - thoughts on that?

Remember these DAC chip mfr's have many chips for different price points and implementation.  Wolfson, Analog Devices, Texas Intruments(Burr-Brown), ESS, etc. have their top Dac chips, midlevel, and lower ones.

Bill

35 minutes ago, willland said:

Actually, I have heard really good things about the CD-N500.  Network and CD player.  Before I bought my Yamaha CD-1000, I thought long and hard about the CD-N500 and the CD-S700.

Remember these DAC chip mfr's have many chips for different price points and implementation.  Wolfson, Analog Devices, Texas Intruments(Burr-Brown), ESS, etc. have their top Dac chips, midlevel, and lower ones.

Bill

Gotcha.

I see the CDN's go for about $450 - this seems fairly reasonable, especially comparing to the Azur.

I own 3 Rotel CDPs, 2 of the 1072 & A 1055 changer. I think they are an excellent value for the money. Pretty sure I bought all 3 used. I also did a side by side comparison of my Oppo 103 vs the 1072 and I thought the Oppo was nearly as good on cds, I gave a slight edge to the Rotel in a less than scientific test. I also own 2 other Rotel Integrated amps and am very happy with their performance over the years. I use a RA-12 Int Amp as my pre in one rig and love the built in DAC. Rotel over delivers for their price point, I am a fan of their products.

I ended up going for a one-generation-older Yamaha CD-N500 that someone was selling.  Negotiated to $325 shipped.  The reviews on them are raving, and having an R-N500 myself right now, with experience with those N500 series units, I can at least attest to their build quality.

Here's hoping!

• Like 1