Cornwall a Center Channel Speaker?

vasubandu

I just read this from songsimian.com, and I have no idea who he is or if he knows what he is talking about.

Klipsch speakers have been in continuous production in the USA for over 60 years, and they’ve been a benchmark of quality throughout the company’s history. Their revolutionary folded horn design sends the sound through a gradually expanding series of chambers, giving you a remarkably large sound in a relatively compact package. These innovators of absolute sound have delivered once again with the Cornwall III. It features a direct-radiating 15” woofer that gives massive power to the bass, while the horn-loaded tweeter and midrange have a low distortion and high sensitivity. First designed to be the center-channel speaker along with Klipschorn towers, it is equally capable of standing on its own, giving you a bigger sound than may seem possible from a single 3-way speaker.

I am interested in the part in bold.  I have never heard this before and wonder if it is true. I guess that would mean a system with Klipschorn left and right, and Cornwall centers.  I have never heard of such a system, but if that was Klipsch's concept, what fun it would be to make it happen. I wonder what he had in mind for the surrounds, Heresy?

1 hour ago, vasubandu said:

I am sure you paid him all that they were worth.  I keep following little old ladies around hoping to find that that they have Jubilees at home that they never listen to.

Jubilees and old ladies don't seem to match up. :P

An article reviewing the Cornwall II (first use of the name) is at the end of the thread linked below.  You'll see reference to its use as a center channel.

It appears to me that the Cornwall before this II had a K-1000 mid and could be used in either orientation.  The l is the same for this Cornwall II but it used the K-600 mid.

A still later model called the Cornwall was designed to be used upright only.  

Then there was the Cornwall II with plastic horns.

Then the Cornwall III with a K-700 midrange.

• Like 1

Damn, never heard of that one before, 4-12's weighing in at 190lbs! 

Specifications:

● Type: Four 12" Drivers Arranged in Dual Push-Pull Configuration
● MFR: 25 Hz - 125 Hz ± 3 dB; Adding Foam Plugs Extends Low Response to 16 Hz at Expense of SPL Output
● Nominal Impedance: 4 Ohms
● Power Handling: 2,500 Watts Continuous, 10,000 Watts Peak
● Size: 26" H x 32" W x 25" D
● Weight: 190 Pounds
● MSRP: $3,499 with Crown K1 Power Amplifier and BetterCables Interconnect ($2,499 w/o Power Amp)

10 hours ago, vasubandu said:

I am sure you paid him all that they were worth.  I keep following little old ladies around hoping to find that that they have Jubilees at home that they never listen to.

I got them from a chick actually. Original owner too so there is a small amount of hope for a Jubilee owning female :D

I just read this from songsimian.com, and I have no idea who he is or if he knows what he is talking about.

Klipsch speakers have been in continuous production in the USA for over 60 years, and they’ve been a benchmark of quality throughout the company’s history. Their revolutionary folded horn design sends the sound through a gradually expanding series of chambers, giving you a remarkably large sound in a relatively compact package. These innovators of absolute sound have delivered once again with the Cornwall III. It features a direct-radiating 15” woofer that gives massive power to the bass, while the horn-loaded tweeter and midrange have a low distortion and high sensitivity. First designed to be the center-channel speaker along with Klipschorn towers, it is equally capable of standing on its own, giving you a bigger sound than may seem possible from a single 3-way speaker.

I am interested in the part in bold.  I have never heard this before and wonder if it is true. I guess that would mean a system with Klipschorn left and right, and Cornwall centers.  I have never heard of such a system, but if that was Klipsch's concept, what fun it would be to make it happen. I wonder what he had in mind for the surrounds, Heresy?

This has nothing to do with Surround. The Heresy was first used as a center channel between Klipschorns. A wide soundstage requires a center to fill in the hole between the R and L speakers. The Cornwall was later developed for this purpose, then later the Belle Klipsch which is essentially a domesticated LaScala.This was three channel stereo. The center was mono and volume balanced between the flanking speakers.
And yes in a modern multi channel system Heresys are excellent surround speakers. I use them with LaScalas for front speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk