You gotta be sh*****ting me

vasubandu

OK so I am on the hunt for an SVS PB2 Ultra or a PB12 Ultra/2.  I was talking to the guy at SVS and asking him why they don't have a timeline of the speakers they have made to give people a sense of the evolution and to know about their past.  He said "wow that is a really good idea." but a week later it still hasn't been done.  I have no idea what SVS has made in the past, but I am pretty sure that the PB2 Ultra and PB12 Ultra/2 are about the biggest of the group. At least I thought that until I checked usaudiomart.com.

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649313121-svs-b4-maple-badsass-subwoofer/

SVS made a B4 Plus?  As i a subwoofer with 4 long-throw drivers and weighing in at a svelte 190 pounds. ANd now some guy in San Diego has a mint condition maple model for $900?  AM I insane or should I sell one of the kids to get this?  I have a spare. 

3 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

@The History Kid I do not have the time, knowledge or talent to go the DIY route.  I had no idea such an animal existed.  "Hi, I have 4 subwoofers in one."  I am just blown away.  But they do not make them now, which also suggests that they did not survive the competition of ideas.  Hope someone has one and can tell me about it.

It probably has less to do with competition, and more with cost effectiveness and practicality.  Eventually a monster gets to be a certain size before it becomes difficult to justify it as a shipping product - especially for a buy-direct company like SVS.

7 hours ago, vasubandu said:

Fascinating @Ceptorman I am in contact with him now. It is a reach for me at the moment, but maybe he will give me a month to close the deal if I  meet his price. I am less concerned with equaling the SB 16 Ultra than having fun. What is your take on it if my all-in cost is $1,200?  Does it make sense?

The cost doesn't seem too bad. I would be worried about service issues if it were to have a problem. Even physically hauling it somewhere for service would be a pain....at 190 lbs! I would think it might be more of a novelty item, not many people have them. 

You seem to have a lot going on, and are facing multiple decisions regarding your home theater. You have a very good start though, those RF7 series speakers will do you well.

1 hour ago, vasubandu said:

So it would cost $1,075 including shipping.  Tempting but I still have no idea how much sense it actually makes.  Any thoughts?

The fact is, I think it might be a crapshoot. They're relatively unknown, and service or support might be an issue. 

41 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

It just sounds so crazy I want to be a part of it. 

Definitely interesting, personally I wouldn't do it but would add it to the list of future maybe's for the right price and location. I haven't spent too much time but didn't see any published specs for output like the pb12 plus2, my guess is they are probably close performance wise?

17 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

I cannot find anything about it.  Part of the mystery and allure.  But the reference to the 4000 is apt. Those are intriguing as he'll,  especially the cylinder.  Have to think some more. 

As for old,  @jjptkd just sold me a 2004 speaker for $400. Did he rip me off?  :lol:

speakers are different than subs which havd built in amps

ive bought a rsw15 that was that old and it was great

if u were in the svs forum and were a huge fan id say go for it

but check out the performance of the b4 vs say a pb2000 or imo...buy 2 pb2000s used for less than the b4 or the new 4000 and get better performance.  subs arent like speakers they are purely a matter of performance unless u have a reason to want a particular model

i think the pb1000 is just short of being  great performer but the 2000 is excellent.  used around 500 to 600 is a good deal

diy is even more value and nothing comes close....ported or horn.

2 or 4 pb2000s is all u would ever need.

b4 or b4plus was great in 2003

https://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_10_3/svs-b4-subwoofer-9-2003.html

imagine trying to replace a 2500watt amp from a 15yo sub😨

now imagine buying 2 subs that can each outperform it and they still are under warranty 🤠

with few exceptions like the klipsch rsws...subs are not about vintage....pure performance

i have 4 12inch infinity 1260s, 2 per sealed box and i can get  to the b4 performance and they cost 300 with the boxes.  in ported boxes they would win.  technology and value imo are key

@jjptkd  I do hope you know I was joking.  But the question that I was really asking is the one that  @RoboKlipsch answered.  Given our appreciate for older speakers, what is it that would would make age a problem.  2 PB2000 would be less fun and interesting than the monster sub from hell, but as he says they would do the job just as well.  So it sounds like the assumption is that the beast would not offer anything that could not be had other ways.  The fact that it is in one unit does not really matter is subwoofers are omnidirectional and you cannot isolate the direction anyway.  SO I get that even if there is an appeal to the sub that ate Los Angeles.

His comment about "imagine trying to replace a 2500watt amp from a 15yo sub" is what really got my attention.  Maybe he has one and forgot to mention it, but I suspect that would border on impossible,  I never buy anything with the expectation that it will break, but I might make an exception to that for something I would expect to keep for decades.

So he has me thinking no, and for a reason, which itself is a change.

I wonder if he might be underestimating the difference between subs.  Call me crazy, but I have my crossover set to 120Hz because at the higher end of the range, it seems to me that it provides what I would call substantive sound instead of noise and vibration.  And that sound has an entirely different quality than what the Paradigm SW2000 produced at its max of 150.  And that has me thinking of holding out and swapping for a pair of PC2000 with their 

1 hour ago, jjptkd said:
1 hour ago, vasubandu said:

As for old,  @jjptkd just sold me a 2004 speaker for $400. Did he rip me off?  :lol:

On this forum (or at least for Klipsch) "2004" is still practically new, barely broken in!

It's hard to find used Klipsch speakers from this century.  :P